Warning Bells

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have a couple of holes on our course where a bell needs to be rung to confirm it is safe for those behind to take their shots. The bell is hit with a solid metal stick. I was thinking last night as I was playing that it is another transmission point, another flag stick situation. Saying that, not ringing the bell could be dangerous.

For those who have bell systems, are you still using them, are you doing anything differently at the moment to avoid handling the stick to hit the bell?

I accept we could be getting into areas of paranoia here but is it any different to flag sticks or bunker rakes?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I remember seeing these, just 'have at it' with the sand wedge or carry a conveniently found rock. For those that like to plan ahead bring a dessert spoon from home

Sorry I'm just missing golf too much and getting flippant on threads, I'd ask forgiveness but most of you gits are allowed out to play so I'm jealous too :mad:
:giggle:

edit to add: we use buggy's so the screen shows the location of the group ahead and a warning comes up if they are still in range. When they go then an all-clear message pops up and its safe to tee off

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We've got two on the course. One can be avoided if the following group wait and watch as they come of the previous tee, they can see whether you have passed the bell or not. The other is after a blind shot, for some it would involve a walk up the fairway to the brow of the hill to see if you have passed the bell.

At the moment, I do hear them occasionally, but generally seem to be out of use, not so much a problem at the moment as there are 10 minutes between tee times, so shouldn't be right up behind the group in front waiting on them playing, as we see most weekends.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Easy answer is just ding the bell with a wedge.
I'll be suggesting my playing partner does this, with one of his wedges :D

Incidentally, on one of our holes it is a large triangle device, not a bell. That needs a vigorous wallop. Not many will be keen to do that with one of their own clubs.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have one, on the 3rd.
It's currently not to be rung.
Fortunately...
A. It's after a par 5 and you can see the 3rd tee from the 2nd green so you know how far ahead people are.
B. As long as people keep to the 10 minute tee time gap the group in front will be on the green when you tee off.
So it ceases to be an issue....

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Given the 'home made' nature of a lot of these things, I'd reckon clubs adapt what they have to use your foot.

Or maybe set a convention where someone in the group in front goes back a few yards to wave people on.

D

Deleted member 21258

Ours had a notice saying hit will a club.

So I whacked it with my old lob wedge, much louder than before and brought a smile to my face, so whacked it again.:geek:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our bell has been completed taped up except for a very small section at the bottom which is easy to hit with the head of a golf club.