Want to change my Drivers shaft

Visit site
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so excuse me if I'm doing anything wrong.

I play a Callaway XR 16 Regular flex standard shaft 45.75" FUJIKURA SPEEDER 565 EVOLUTION (excuse caps, i copy/pasted)

I'm finding the shaft is just too long for me. I've measured my wrist to floor and I'm at 33inch. What would be the ideal length shaft I should look for, and by look I mean just ebay item descriptions.

Or am I going about this all wrong?

Thanks guys!

D

Deleted member 16999

I play a Callaway XR 16 Regular flex standard shaft 45.75" FUJIKURA SPEEDER 565 EVOLUTION (excuse caps, i copy/pasted)

I'm finding the shaft is just too long for me. I've measured my wrist to floor and I'm at 33inch. What would be the ideal length shaft I should look for, and by look I mean just ebay item descriptions.

Thanks guys!
Guys with technical knowledge will be along to give the proper answer.
Me, I’ve bought a few different types, flex wise, of ebay and had the Pro cut anywhere between 1 & 1 1/2 inches of some to see what suits me best. I don’t believe there is 1 correct answer.
You could also go for a shaft fitting, there are plenty of places that offer this service.
Welcome to the forum.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That seems really long?! Measured my titleist from the hozel to butt is 42"

I'm 5' 8 and my wrist to floor is 31, and the driver length is perfect for me. If it's tipping 46 that is significant!

Visit site
So when i took off the head the length from tip of shaft to bottom of grip is 44.5". They say 45.75 on the website though but that must include a bit of the head or something

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A lot of standard driver shafts are 44.5" in length so that sounds correct.

It can be very hard to tell what is right for you as shafts vary greatly player to player. A shorter driver shaft should give you some more control and hopefully help you to find the middle more often. It doesn't work for everyone though. Best thing to do is to try some, obviously it would be great if you could get fitted as it will probably save you time and money (unless you get the shafts at a good price and can shift them for the same price if they don't suit you). It could take you quite a while to find the correct one for you.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So when i took off the head the length from tip of shaft to bottom of grip is 44.5". They say 45.75 on the website though but that must include a bit of the head or something

length is usually measured if you take a line from the bottom of the clubhead face up to the butt of the grip when the club sits on the floor as if at address

im a big believer almost all modern driver shafts are too long, my current one plays at what most see as a 3 wood length these days, approx 43.5", rather than replacing the shaft much easier to get a club builder or pro to cut an inch or more off the butt end, re check the swingweighting and then regrip

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Thanks guys!

Re the bold bit... 'Yes' and 'No'!

Why do you think it's too long? The longer the shaft, the further you can potentially hit it! However, if you are hitting it poorly, then you'll likely be hitting it further in the junk!!

That wrist to floor measurement isn't massively different to 'standard'.

What shape is your normal Drive - and where do your 'bad' ones tend to go?

A few questions that might help to advise....
How far do you hit good Drives? Do you hit good Drives often? Do you swing as a 'slash' (100%+) or 'controlled' (85-90%)? Do you swing similarly with both Driver and irons - if different, how and why? How far do you hit 7 iron? What's your handicap (if you have one) or how many over par do you score on a 'good' day - and a 'normal' one?

Visit site
I don't think I have ever hit a ball left with the driver. It always goes right. If I land on the fairway then I'm just holding on the right side.
Carry distance is around 210.
It's just the overall feel of the length that just feels far too big and I don't feel in control.
I am new to golf, started a few months ago. Have been going around my local clubs par 3 9 hole course. Started going round in 54 and now down to 38. Played the 18 hole twice and best round was 115. Most shots is just inconsistency in hitting irons out the rough.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im of the same mind as fundy in saying the shafts are to long in most modern drivers, do what fundy suggests and you won't go far wrong.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't think I have ever hit a ball left with the driver. It always goes right. If I land on the fairway then I'm just holding on the right side.
Carry distance is around 210.
It's just the overall feel of the length that just feels far too big and I don't feel in control.
I am new to golf, started a few months ago. Have been going around my local clubs par 3 9 hole course. Started going round in 54 and now down to 38. Played the 18 hole twice and best round was 115. Most shots is just inconsistency in hitting irons out the rough.

In that case, it could well be worthwhile 'parking' the Driver for a while! At least if you have another wood like a 3 or 4 (15 to 17 degree) ) that can get you decent length without the fear/likelihood/certainty of ending up in the rough! Btw 'inconsistency out of the rough' is a problem at absolutely every (including top Pro!) level!

Certainly the length of Driver can be a problem - and I certainly agree that most are too long (just to get length stats up!). But that's not necessarily the real reason why you are having problems.

Hackneyed idea, but..... I'd suggest that you invest in a series of lessons with a PGA Pro - mentioning your issues with the Driver. Now is the time to sort you 'natural' swing out, as the 'faults' you ingrain early are very difficult to permanently irradicate later! Learning the fundamentals - Grip, Aim, Stance and Posture - that don't even involve swinging the club can make improvement so much easier! Now is the ideal time to do it! The Driver swing will become a lot more 'natural' and the Pro might even be prepared to lop an inch or more of the length - and adjust the balance - to help!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you think the shaft is too long or that you want to try a shorter length, just move your hands lower down the grip.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Several options here:
Grip down
Get re-fitted somewhere and see what the correct length should be and get your current shaft properly reshafted as it may affect swing weight
Get a lesson and learn how to swing the driver properly