Walker Cup

BillyBigTime

Hacker
Visit site
Is anyone here going next weekend? I'm only able to make the Sunday due to football commitments on Saturday, but looking forward to it. It will be my first 'live' golf experience so not too sure what to expect.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few friends are going over to cheer on the lads.

You'll love the course. Have you played it? I did when I was about 21 and the scenery is great. I've watched a good bit of live golf before and it's certainly a different experience from the telly.

I always take a wee backpack with plenty of water/spare clothing/programme/binoculars etc. . Wear trainers. You won't regret it. I also like to follow a group around for about 6 holes, have a wee break, watch a few groups coming through (usually at a par 3 green), follow them for another 6 holes and so on. That way you get to see most of the players, assess their game etc ...and you see the whole course too.

It can be a long day but a brilliant experience.

Apparently Ronan Rafferty has been guiding our boys around the course a few times to pass on his knowledge of the course....so here's hoping for a good victory.

BillyBigTime

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I'll take it into account. I'd say the likely scenario is that the waterproofs will be needed!

It's interesting to see that both teams have an older player (US-35, GB&I-39) then the next oldest is 23 in each team. Is there a rule regarding this?

Have yet to play the course as I've only seriously got into golf in the last 6 months or thereabouts, so going to wait until I'll be able to play it in a respectable enough score. I've walked the course before with an uncle and it was good to just be able to take it in and enjoy the views.

StephenK

Visit site
Im hoping to go on Saturday.

Does anyone know the first tee-off time? Ive a 2 hour drive to get there so hope it's not too early! Perhaps more importantly, does anyone know when Rory McIlroy is teeing off? Half the crowd will probably be following him!

Stephen

StephenK

Visit site
Thanks John, I had a look on the site but didn't see those times, now that I look, theyre also on the front page, oops.

I thought the tee off times would be released a few days before the event. I should have played more attention to the Ryder Cup!

Stephen

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
If any one does go it would be great to hear about your experiences on here - the atmosphere, the quality of golf, the golf course etc.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
You are all so lucky to be going - it's the most stunning course in the world and to my mind the best!

Look forward to hearing whether you agree!

StephenK

Visit site
You are all so lucky to be going - it's the most stunning course in the world and to my mind the best!

Look forward to hearing whether you agree!

I was there today!

The course was in absolutely stunning condition, helped by the great weather today.

I switched around a bit during the foursomes as I arrived late (2 hour drive!) and it was hard to get into the match, but then followed Rory's singles match through 18.

I got some really good positions at tee boxes and it was great to see those shots up close. There was a massive crowd around Rory's game, there was always a dive for the next tee box after putting. Everyone was always trying to get the spot at the back of the previous green that would provide quick access to the next tee!

There was some great play, but I think the nerves were definitely showing - quite a few short irons and missed putts. I wonder if stroke play would have made any difference, but I suppose that's a different game altogether. (And RCD is a pretty tough course!)

The marshals were great, letting everyone walk up the fairways after players, and always giving advice on where we should go next for the best views etc.

Great day out, how did everyone else get on?

Stephen