Walked off the course as I had imploded, right or wrong?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely if you can walk off and go and practice, you could stay, carry on, and pick your ball up when you are holding up the group. I would be much more tolerant of someone who did that than someone who walked off

Visit site
I'm with the stay and suffer brigade.

Golf isn't an easy game, and suffering will make you stronger in the long run. It's about finding something that works on the day, not only playing when it's all going good.

I can't agree, I'm afraid. I'm with Paul1874 - it's my game, my life, and my choice. If my playing partners can't appreciate that, then I'd rather not play with them next time.

As I said though, my view is that its how you withdraw from the course, rather than the fact that you do it.

I also think that going to practice is better than simply going off home with a temper. From the cat's perspective at least!

Putting the boot on the other foot, I would prefer to play with someone who was happy than someone who was miserable and under pressure (from themselves or others) to play on. If that means that they feel they have to go and practice (wihtout the pressure of their playing partners watching on!) so that they can come out next weekend and play better and with good cheer, then so much the better.

Being "forced" to endure isn't what I want to get out of golf. Sure it can make you stronger but there comes a point when I can see you needing to get out.

It is only a game (flak jacket duly donned...) :whistle:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
This is where 'self analysis' comes in handy.
If you're having a bit of a mare, you should be able to work out what's causing the bad shots.
Is it the contact or the direction that's causing the woes?
Poor contact can often be body swaying
Poor direction is either swing path or more likely grip.

Dont just give up.
Look at the ball flight, see what it's doing and adjust accordingly.:thup:

Easier said than done I know :(

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I can't agree, I'm afraid. I'm with Paul1874 - it's my game, my life, and my choice. If my playing partners can't appreciate that, then I'd rather not play with them next time.

Sorry, let me try to understand this, so if you play badly and have a hissy fit like a 4 year old then, if your partners dont like it, you would rather not play with them??

Mmmmm perhaps I'm just getting old!

Visit site
Perhaps you are getting old - loss of memory tends to be one of the signs ;)

Either that, or you didn't read my first post (which I referred to in my most recent one).

I said that walking off isn't the issue, it's how you do it. If you have a "hissy fit" then I am completely in agreement with you - that isn't on. However, if you explain the situation to your partners and leave the course with good grace, then I don't see why you shouldn't walk off. I also suggested that the least you could do would be to tell your partners that you'd stand them a drink the in 19th when they got in, but you must have forgotten about that too...

So, to recap, yes, if I walked off in the "acceptable" manner that I suggest, then I would be aggrieved if my playing partners too umbridge at that. It's clearly not done as a personal afront to them.

S

Snelly

Of course you should not walk off the course. Very poor form. It is only a game. :rolleyes:

Frankly, it is quite pathetic behaviour for a grown man to adopt.

I am surprised you went to the practice range too. Surely stomping home, going to your room and tearing up your favourite comics would be more in line with your attitude?!

Visit site
Frankly, it is quite pathetic behaviour for a grown man to adopt. I am surprised you went to the practice range too. Surely stomping home, going to your room and tearing up your favourite comics would be more in line with your attitude?!

I wait to be surprised, but I don't think the OP did that...

Perhaps I'd expected too much from this forum, but the tone of that last email doesn't make me want to stick around. Yours, sir, is the attitude that stinks.

Baldyeagle

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Perhaps I'd expected too much from this forum, but the tone of that last email doesn't make me want to stick around. Yours, sir, is the attitude that stinks.

Frankly (while I might not have put it in quite such abrasive terms), I agree with Snelly ... I doubt if any of us could claim to have behaved impeccably at all times on the course but it strikes me that you already know that walking off was feeble and now you're trying to justify it in your own mind by discussion on here.

If you're playing with others and you're having a mare, keep your head down (in all senses) and finish the round without distracting the other guys.

Strap a pair on

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site

that's just Snelly he's old school. :D

I've never walked off, I sometimes take great pleasure in grinding something out. I've had someone walk off when I was playing with him in a 2 ball. (I don't think it was the company)

Only a friendly round, I had taken an afternoon off work. He was awful and walked in on the 9th. I thought it was selfish, we don't play together anymore!

A

Alex1975

Not for me to say if its right or wrong, I don`t do it and recall a few total implosions in the past but that is because I will not be beaten by the ball. However if it was all done without a strop and you did something that made you feel good then I don't see the problem.

They say if you play golf a lot then it will start to teach you about yourself, this may have been a lesson in mental fortitude or it may have been a lesson in how to hit your PW and extra 30 yards....

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Perhaps you are getting old - loss of memory tends to be one of the signs ;)

Either that, or you didn't read my first post (which I referred to in my most recent one).

I said that walking off isn't the issue, it's how you do it. If you have a "hissy fit" then I am completely in agreement with you - that isn't on. However, if you explain the situation to your partners and leave the course with good grace, then I don't see why you shouldn't walk off. I also suggested that the least you could do would be to tell your partners that you'd stand them a drink the in 19th when they got in, but you must have forgotten about that too...

So, to recap, yes, if I walked off in the "acceptable" manner that I suggest, then I would be aggrieved if my playing partners too umbridge at that. It's clearly not done as a personal afront to them.

I think that I 've made my position clear - you leave the course when you're not playing well I suggest that however nicely you explain the other guys they will see it as I would " a hissy fit" they may smile but it just isn't right that an adult should not just accept the way it's going that day and get on with being one of a group playing what is a difficult game and get on with it. I said earlier that going out in a group of players is not "all about me"

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
A question to the give up guys:

If you're playing football and having a mare?

Or cricket or rugby?

Do you walk off then?

What if you're playing tennis, or squash?

You're out there to challenge yourself. You must have some kind of game, otherwise you wouldn't be disappointed in yourself.

Even if you only play with a short iron, a wedge and a putter for a few holes, you should be able to get something out of it, as well as not letting anyone else down.

Mental strength is all about how you respond to the hard times, not how easy life is when everything is going for you.

Golf challenges people's mental strength.

And I suggest if you don't like it, you're not a true golfer.

I recommend that in future you act in a proper, grown up, mature way.

:ears:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cricket and Rugby are team games so it's a little different. I am not defending walking in but when someone is hitting 'Shermans' every other shot then it can be sole destroying and not easy to shrug off.

When we get a bit better and experienced at golf it's easier for to work out what is going wrong and make a band aid fix on the course. I cant see whats wrong with a higher handicapper going to the practice area and trying to work out whats going wrong, actually that is a more practical approach that just going home and festering on the day.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
quick one here, why do we play golf? for enjoyment surely!

If your playing utter pants, not enjoying it and a burden on your playing partners then surely one is entitled to say 'stuff this chaps, I am offski' :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
quick one here, why do we play golf? for enjoyment surely!

If your playing utter pants, not enjoying it and a burden on your playing partners then surely one is entitled to say 'stuff this chaps, I am offski' :)

I played football and tennis for enjoyment as well as I now do golf, but I never walked off when I was having one of my many bad days as there was, for me, a wider responsibility to the other who I was playing with.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Walking in or off can only be allowed for one of the following reasons

1 Illness or Injury
2 Lightning
3 Emergency
4 If you are on a tight timescale and slow play has held you up
5 Piles (ok scrub that one)

walking off for any other reason just isnt cricket in my book, if you are having a bad round, tough, man up,

Of course if you are playing by yourself, do whatever you like, nobody cares

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played football and tennis for enjoyment as well as I now do golf, but I never walked off when I was having one of my many bad days as there was, for me, a wider responsibility to the other who I was playing with.

yeah but thats a team sport and totally different. You can be subbed at half time as an example

I wouldnt walk in myself either way but was just stating a point.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Personally, I would take (and occasionally have taken) it as a challenge to sort out - with mini-targets.

However, I've played in a three-ball with a guy who occasionally loses his swing. Once, only, he has stopped - after the 10th - diplomatically apologised and excused himself for the rest of the round, meeting the 2 of us in the bar afterwards. I was actually surprised, but his approach was that he plays golf to enjoy himself, though with some challenge. If his game has fallen apart to the extent that he feels he's a burden on the others, then he'll remove himself. As for the challenge aspect, he's created a number of successful businesses, so doesn't lack for drive and fortitude.

I've been happy to play with him frequently since. I would be disappointed, for him, but would not disrespect him for repeating the action.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Cricket and Rugby are team games so it's a little different. I am not defending walking in but when someone is hitting 'Shermans' every other shot then it can be sole destroying and not easy to shrug off.

When we get a bit better and experienced at golf it's easier for to work out what is going wrong and make a band aid fix on the course. I cant see whats wrong with a higher handicapper going to the practice area and trying to work out whats going wrong, actually that is a more practical approach that just going home and festering on the day.

A) IMO there's no difference. Can you escape when you go out shopping with the Mrs and she's having a mare? No!! You're lumbered and you have to see it through. If you are playing football there's someone there to take your place (a sub), on a golf course there isn't.

B) Yes it's soul destroying - which is why you shouldn't walk away from it. It takes strength of character to take a beating and not give up. Watch a 'Rocky' film and tell me otherwise.

C) I think most high handicappers have a better grip on the reality of the game and are more likely to live with a really bad round. It's only as our handicaps start coming down that we begin to get ideas above our station and we get all precious; "I'm not this bad, honest". Well, yes you are!

D) If going to the practice area makes it alright, you could have bodged something together on the course, and not let yourself down.

By the by.....

About 12 years ago my daughter was taking her grade 1 or 2 on the flute. She was terrified and made a right cods of it. She finished and ran over to me and her mum crying. We were really proud of her coz she tried her best and she learned something about herself that day. Would I have been as proud if she had just given up and ran off crying half way through? Of course not.

And you lot are happy to say my 8 year old daughter had bigger cahunas at that age than you've got now?

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Personally, I would take (and occasionally have taken) it as a challenge to sort out - with mini-targets.

If his game has fallen apart to the extent that he feels he's a burden on the others, then he'll remove himself. As for the challenge aspect, he's created a number of successful businesses, so doesn't lack for drive and fortitude.

I absolutely agree with the mini targets. :thup:

As for this guy giving up. He doesn't do it because he feels he's a burden on others. He does it because he is embarrassed by his performance. He's used to being successful and doesn't like to put himself in a light when he's showing perceived weakness. I wouldn't want to be an employee of his during the bad times. BTW how many divorces has he had? :whistle: