Virgin Media

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Anyone out there use this lot?
Our internet connection is rubbish - miles from the exchange and poor cabling to the estate don't help. We've got the Virgin cable point right outside the house so we're looking at getting everything down the fibres instead.

Are they reliable? Do you get the connection speed they say you get?

big_russ

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have Virgin Media XL of everything with 20Mbps broadband. Just ran a speed check and it is downloading at 19.22 and uploading at .7 and these are very common figures. I usually run a speed test once a week and it is always similar to the above.
The TV freezes now and again but I have one of the older boxes, not the V+ and a quick reset cures the problem.
All in all a very good service.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
Virgin are a great company to deal with. The Cable Internet is fast and reliable. The V+ box is good but not great (it freezes occasionally). Overall I would recommend them.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I,ve been with them ages, since the NTL days, always a good connection and although I don't have the top package speed wise It suits my needs very well.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Best around. The recent furore over claimed and actual broadband speeds showed that they are the only ones who regularly give you what they say they do.

And on top of that, they just upgraded me from 2Mb to 10Mb for nothing and within an hour my download speed went from 1.93 Mbps to 9.94Mbps.

Beat that BT!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I was trying to watch Brendy's link to the Barclays Golf last night. Only needed 1mbps to watch it. Couldn't even get that.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I left Virgin broadband because of consistently appalling download speeds (down to 0.1 meg). Virgin said it not their fault and blamed it on BT, my router, God, me, just about anything other than Virgin.

Went to Zen Internet, speed immediately improved and now stable at about 6 meg, (on a 8 meg package through a fairly old exchange).

Not planning to go back anytime soon.

owalker

Medal Winner
Visit site
Another +1 for Virgin from me. Only problem I've had was a faulty V+ box, but that was sorted pretty quickly.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
also had virginmedia since ntl days, and am on the XL package (they, supposedly, put everyone on 10 Mb and I, again supposedly, got the unlimited 10 Mb when Setanta went).
it's a bit variable tbh. I haven't run the download test for a while but it has been down to 2 Mb and less. This does depend on when you run the test, but as my home use is right in the peak slot I doubt that I get close to 10.
There are times when the TV freezes, always at the most inconvenient time of course, reboot<u>s</u> don't always fix immediately. 'Local' area dropouts are also not unknown, worth a moan if they persist (and if you want to hang on a phone) as you can sometimes promote short term improvements.

I haven't used anything else so can't really compare. all the other options start 'you need a BT line' so that's an immediate +£11 onto their price.

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm a sky customer personally and spent the weekend at my sister-in-laws who had Virgin.

Internet appeared fine, but thought the V+ box was very slow, seamed to take an age to change channels and a lot of presses to get to the TV guide.

Also the teletext available was poor.

Personally happy with Sky (TV & Internet), but don't think Virgin are that far behind.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Virgin all the way..

My mum has it in her place, deal she is on is:
Free calls day and night to landlines.
Free Internet (upgraded few weeks back from 2meg to 10meg)
Basic TV (mainly freeview channels all she needs)

Line rental etc all included at 21.50 a month,

Myself in the other hand, no Virgin in my area live in the country. talk talk B Band including line rental its £20 a month (thats at best 1 meg) then sky tv basic package i think is around £18/19 a month..

Would do anything to have Virgin Media up my way, even offered one time on the phone for my mum that i would get a partition going for my area if they would install the cables..

EDIT: also like to add that i used to work for SKY and the way some customers where treated is shocking, but there sky plus system is awsome light years away from anything else at the mo.. but in all fairness taken everything into a count the Virgin Media package is much better value for money having worked and used the both systems virgin for me every time..