Violence on the golf course

sunshine

Visit site
Has anyone witnessed violent incidents on the golf course? Anyone been threatened or attacked?

I’ll share my story below, but interested to hear about others and how common this is.

sunshine

Visit site
I was playing an evening round on my own a long time ago and a guy jumped out of the bushes on the 4th tee and tried to mug me. I had my driver in my hands, I drew it back ready to swing at him, then I realised if I hit him I was going to break my new Taylormade driver.

I quickly rushed back to my bag, went to pull the first iron I could see, no that’s a bad idea it would ruin the set, my putter was too valuable to me (emotionally not financially), so settled on the lob wedge (TM RAC Tour Preferred - lovely classic looking wedge but easily replaceable).

I turned to confront him, but in the seconds it had taken me for club selection I had calmed down enough to decide that I wasn’t going to hit him unless he went for me, and he realised that maybe it wasn’t a good idea to rob someone holding a golf club. We had a bit of a stand off then his mate dragged him away back into the bushes, and I carried on with my round.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have known it to happen where I play including an incident that resulted in one member being kicked out of the club.

Some people are just prone to being violent /obnoxious and being a golfer does not change their attitudes.

Personally I had one incident when I was giving another member a ticking off about practicing on the 18th fairway and green (literally dozens of full shots) and he wanted to take it outside the club gates.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
No, never witnessed any, but a mate of mine lived adjacent to his local course and often walked his dog on the footpaths that crossed the course, one day while walking said dog, he had an argument with somebody playing golf about courtesy and not waiting while he crossed a fairway, anyway instead of calming down he walked home festering his anger and timed when the golfer would arrive back at the clubhouse and walked round there and escalated the situation, letter from the committee arrived promptly.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Like many i suppose I've seen the online vids of bust ups (that one between groups in lockdown & the SA one in the bar spring to mind)
Not seen it first hand though, a few exchanges of varying degrees of 'heat' but nowt physical

(although I make no apologies for saying I would have no hesitation using a club in self defense against an out of control dog)

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I've never seen it, but I do know one of our members was kicked out of his previous club for punching someone. They came at him still holding a club (but not waving it at him) so he "defended" himself, but they were both kicked out of the club.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At my old club there is a member who has a split personality trait which he only unleashes on weaker or older people than him, he was know for very aggressive outbursts and it transpired he had been kicked out of three previous clubs due to it.

After several outbursts he got put out a for two months with members who simply put would not have accepted this behaviour. On his first round one of the group put him very straight on the first tee with regards to his views on past behaviour and that the victims chose was a good as bullying, a was very blunt in the potential outcome if it continued (removal from the club) but also if it happened in the round.

Apparently he’s actually turned into pretty good company….

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been a member of various clubs for 40 years and never seen an act of violence, well not against another person anyway. Seen a few acts of violence towards the course, the flag, tee markers and the players own clubs a few times.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I posted about an assault on a walker in the other thread recently. I’ve also had to separate thrown punches walking down the 18th.

Same member involved both times.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never seen an act of violence but I am somewhat suprised based on the amount of people that I have seen fronting up about slow play, playing through etc. Seems like every time that is mentioned some take it as an affront to their manhood and start puffing up their chest.

D

Deleted member 25172

Never seen it myself, but not more than a few weeks ago we had a member receiving a 10 month ban. I don’t know the exact details around it, but had something to do with a physical altercation, or at least the threat of it.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We had an idiot at Pyrford who threatened me when I was Vice-Captain, the Captain and then added the GM for good measure when he tried to deal with it. The guy was not just kicked out of Pyrford, but out of every Crown course at the time.
It wasn't anything we did, we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time with someone who had issues.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Mate had a scrap with the assitant pro once in the pro's shop at DDGC. Lyle and Scotts all overt gaff.

Couple of my mates also had their clubs robbed at Huddersfield Golf Club when they were juniors. Some scroats just appeared out of the woods, threatened them with a kicking of they didn't hand over their tackle, and then walked off with it.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Very close to seeing some when in a club match our opponents claimed a drive had reached a water hazard at 310 yards from the tee, when the maximum drive up to that point or afterwards was 260 yards.

The threat of violence soon vanished when we told them if they wanted to win that much then have the drop from the hazard, which they took and then chunked it straight back into the hazard. :ROFLMAO:

I do believe the exact words.......and they were the last words spoken in that match........were 'now that one has 100% gone in the hazard'