Violence on the golf course

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Not so much violence but perhaps inappropriate rage.

Was confronted by a golfer who had walked back at full steam towards me (walking down the fairway from the tee) from the green, profusely sweating, arms swinging wildly, beetroot coloured cheeks, puffing heavily (him, not me) and laid into me with a torrent of abuse at full volume calling me all manner of stuff for hitting my ball into his group on the green (was a shortish par 4, green not visible from the tee, I knew they were on the green and that my decent shot would never reach the green). He was going for it big style and ranted for a full minute before proceeding to throw "my" ball over a hedge into a field and coming out with the classic..."play it from there cos you don't belong on a golf course, you are a <expletive> danger and I've just recovered from a <expletive> heart attack and don't need this sort of stress". (to be fair...this recourse needs far more <expletives> but I'm sure you get the picture).

I just walked over to the fairway bunker 80 yards short of the green where my tee shot had come to rest and said...."not sure who's ball landed on your green but this is mine here, now can you up your pace of play please because you are now holding me up".

D

Deleted member 23270

Two guys in front of me had an altercation with the group on the adjacent fairway, no idea what it was about. One of the other guys marched across, nutted the guy then walked back to his own fairway and carried on playing.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I posted about my encounter a few years ago but we were waiting for a group in front so I was already enraged, my mate waited at the top of the hill to show we were waiting. One tee’d off anyway and I fired their ball back at them. they weren’t too pleased and some words and threats were exchanged and a more politer threat was to get me kicked out the club and I gave them my name of which they didn’t believe to be true.
I’m still at the club.

Witnessed other incidents of rage always to do with pace of play.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Two guys in front of me had an altercation with the group on the adjacent fairway, no idea what it was about. One of the other guys marched across, nutted the guy then walked back to his own fairway and carried on playing.
I assume you reported this?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mate has almost come to blows on the course had calm him down.

Was following a pro am (we didn't know when we booked golf now but fair enough)

So it was slow

Was waiting for a par 3 to clear .. tee box was playing over a green that was raised from fairway down to this green

The tee for the next hole was side of that green .. so any stray shot could have hit them

I decided to wait

Group shouted at us to play.. we waved them to play their shots to green in front us.. they just shouted "take your xxx shot"

So we did (by this time the tee was clear)

They gave a mouthful as we walked past .. my mate lost it and got in their faces

Had to calm him down

Noone handled that well tbh ..

gopher99

Visit site
I recently had a funny one in South Africa, we were playing this course and we joined a member for the club swindle. Can’t remember what hole it was, but it was a par 4 310 yards. I asked the member if it was ok to hit a 3 wood as I felt as the hole was slightly down wind and the ground pretty firm that I might reach it, he said don’t worry it will come up short. Anyway the ball sailed off into the distance bounded down the fairway and rolled onto the front edge of the green whilst the group ahead where putting. The guy who i found out later has the shortest temper known to man comes steaming up the fairway to confront me, starts swearing at the member then starts swearing at me coming right up to my face. I calmly turned round to him and said it’s 37c i am really hot and getting tired, if you want to start something then please start now otherwise I apologise and now f@%k off. Afterwards i got bought a pint in the bar as when the captain of the club found out he laughed and said you have met our angry Englishman.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
50 years working in golf I have witnessed some scary stuff.

I have had two death threats, one involving a gun and an ' I know where you live' threat.
Also a 'rich kid' who thought it was fun to tale pot shots at golfers with an air gun from his bedroom window. Armed police involved and I knew the father who was absolutely gutted.
The 'I know where you live' one caused a few sleepless nights and a tightening up of home security as it came form a guy with dodgy connections.
Perhaps the most memorable one was a guy threatening to stove my brains in with an iron he was holding, and me telling a young greenkeeper to remember the words that he had just said so that they could be used in court later.
I have no idea where my words came from as I was just about pooing myself, but they certainly had the desired effect.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
50 years working in golf I have witnessed some scary stuff.

I have had two death threats, one involving a gun and an ' I know where you live' threat.
Also a 'rich kid' who thought it was fun to tale pot shots at golfers with an air gun from his bedroom window. Armed police involved and I knew the father who was absolutely gutted.
The 'I know where you live' one caused a few sleepless nights and a tightening up of home security as it came form a guy with dodgy connections.
Perhaps the most memorable one was a guy threatening to stove my brains in with an iron he was holding, and me telling a young greenkeeper to remember the words that he had just said so that they could be used in court later.
I have no idea where my words came from as I was just about pooing myself, but they certainly had the desired effect.
Sounds like you've upset a lot of people. ?

Dandyer1995

Visit site
only once, we used to have an issue with teens running onto the course near one of the greens and stealing the ball. quite funny thinking about it now knocking it close to the pin only to see a kid run on and pick up your ball! anyway one member chased some of them off one day with a iron in hand which resulted numerous letters to all members etc about not taking action! soon got bored and moved on anyway :LOL:

D

Deleted member 29109

I’ve witnessed a few arguments. Usually started by the self appointed golf police getting themselves wound up over something a normal person wouldn’t.

The only time I’ve witnessed anyone come to blows was at my old club where the 1st and 11th green, and the 12th and 15th tee all converge.
I didn’t see what caused the initial confrontation, but there was a large red faced angry man shouting at another man, getting in his face and pushing him with his chest. The big angry man raised his hand, whether to hit the other person or not I don’t know. But as he did, the smaller man produced a beautiful uppercut which instantly silenced the aggressor and dropped him to his knees.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sounds like you've upset a lot of people. ?

Not really over a 50 year cycle.

One of the death threats came from a householder who took great exception to the head greenkeeper throwing back all the garden rubbish he had thrown over his fence onto the golf course.
He said he was going back inside his house to get his shotgun to shoot me.
I replied that I will return to my office to ask the police to do a gun permit check on him.
By the time I got back my secretary said that I had to ring him before the police.
He was sobbing down the phone begging me to forgive him, he never owned a gun and was in fact a pacifist.:unsure:

Most aggressive situations came from golfers who thought they could play on the golf course for free.
I must confess, as a young man, letting down two tyres of a car parked at the far end of the golf course by a couple who constantly parked there for a free 12 hole evening game.
Never saw them after that.:love:

Last edited:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not seen anything personally, but have heard of bust ups in the bar after too many beers at a few clubs and with various punishments from banning to it being squared up.