Villa holidays

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have used airbnb when reting in Wales last year, tripadvisor this year in Scotland and VRBO (homeaway,com) for rentals in the USA. All have been easy to use and have had no problems even when the owner cancelled one rental on us - we got a full refund and help to find a replacement.

U

User62651

Used villaplus last year for fist time in menorca and have gone back to them this year, currently in mallorca, we're pretty happy with the properties, flights and car hire etc all arranged by them and general service.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Owners Direct (& home away seem to be the same company) are now charging a booking fee. For this reason I'll be trying airbnb next time. Or will book direct if returning to a place I've used before.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've used Owners Direct/Home and Away and Booking.com. First two are very good. Booking.com was fine until they, or the owners, clucked up the price, leaving me scrambling to get something else.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
James Villas have always been good for me.

I've used Villa Plus in the past and would never do so again. Long story, but essentially we were given a villa which was filthy and in a state of disrepair. The manner in which the company dealt with the situation was appalling. So I personally would always stay away.

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Owners Direct (& home away seem to be the same company) are now charging a booking fee. For this reason I'll be trying airbnb next time. Or will book direct if returning to a place I've used before.

Owners Direct (which is a brand name for HomeAway who in turn are owned by Expedia) have been levying a service charge on travellers for a while now. Airbnb also levy a service charge, although they hide some of it in the overall price quoted. Both take about 9%-10%. I have a holiday cottage which I rent out using both sites. The price they quote is not the same as the price I enter.

If you find a villa you like, google it and try to find the owner online, most will have a website or will be on Facebook. You should then get a better price.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Owners Direct (which is a brand name for HomeAway who in turn are owned by Expedia) have been levying a service charge on travellers for a while now. Airbnb also levy a service charge, although they hide some of it in the overall price quoted. Both take about 9%-10%. I have a holiday cottage which I rent out using both sites. The price they quote is not the same as the price I enter.

If you find a villa you like, google it and try to find the owner online, most will have a website or will be on Facebook. You should then get a better price.

Good advice to all. I have booked direct the last couple of years. I know that there would be a service charge but this is the first time I've seen it whacked on top.