Vilamoura - Faldo Course

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Off to Vilamoura in the morning for a few days, playing the Victoria and Old Courses, which I've played before, and the Faldo course for the first time.

Anyone played it? Any tips?

D

Deleted member 1740

Off to Vilamoura in the morning for a few days, playing the Victoria and Old Courses, which I've played before, and the Faldo course for the first time.

Anyone played it? Any tips?

I've not played it but I was talking to my mate last night who has just come back from playing the faldo course and his tip was take plenty of balls!!

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Take a buggy its to long to walk very well manicure golf course played there just over 3 years ago, the tee boxes are like putting greens.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Must admit that Faldo is easily my least favourite of the courses out there. You am really do have to plot your way round and it's truly punishing if you're having a bad day. In my opinion overly so.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
Brilliant course, generous fairways but you need to plot your way round as there's loads of bunkers and elevation changes. definitely need a buggy and I would play it off the yellows as there are some long tough holes but the condition was perfect when I played it a few years ago

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Must admit that Faldo is easily my least favourite of the courses out there. You am really do have to plot your way round and it's truly punishing if you're having a bad day. In my opinion overly so.

My view also. Purely from my experience on the day.

Others will say what a great course it is but you can only say it as you see it.

Nice view over the 2 courses from the clubhouse above though.

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played this time last year. The condition of the course was top notch. As has been mentioned the tee's were perfect! Course was harsh, very punishing if you were just short or long of the green!

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have played this course. Was top notch. Quite a difficult course if I remember. lots of different elevations.

Vilamoura is a very fun place :)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Fantastic condition, very clever layout with some good risk/reward holes BUT way too tricked up in my opinion.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
All it needs are windmills and clowns heads. Daft course in my view. Particularly the 660 yard par 5 with the blind drive, and where the fairway runs out at driving distance. It never occurred to me to start such a long hole with a four iron.

But then that's the shot Faldo would have played, so why am I surprised.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played The Faldo last week, I failed badly :(

As has already been said you really have to plot your way around the course (typical Faldo)

Facilities are amazing, and I'm pretty sure when we played they insisted we had buggies, tbh you really wouldn't want to walk it.

Great experience though

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm staying at Amendoeira in mid-May, with unlimited golf on the Faldo & O'Connor courses & buggies are included.

Read with interest the views on the Faldo course, anyone played the O'Connor - any thoughts?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
We played both during the same trip about six years ago. I can't remember too much about the O'Connor if I am being honest, other than to say it is infinitely more playable than the Faldo.

Don't get me wrong, the facilities are excellent with a plush clubhouse and fantastic shop, but I totally agree with the observations regarding the Faldo course. I vividly remember the par 5 referred to above - hellishly long with a blind drive over rocks to a dog leg. I absolutely nailed my drive, straight down the middle I thought, only to lose my ball. It typified the course, and it just made for what I found a really irritating round of golf.

I'm quite sure others will love it, but we have been going to the Algarve every year now for over 10 years, and our entire group agree these are courses we would not rush back to.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played both courses two years running a few years ago. Faldo more difficult with significant climbs on the back nine. Recommend a buggy. As others have stated you have to plot your way around the course. A tough challenge.
The O'Connor easier and flatter.
Our group enjoyed both courses

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well, played the Faldo course yesterday, it was in great condition, but as per some of the comments, I found it a bit of a pain in the proverbial tbh.

contrived, tricked up, windmill and clown heads, all very good observations. Seemed like it was designed to punish rather than to be enjoyed. Won't be on my list of courses to return to.

playing the old course today, which is one of my favourite courses anywhere, can't wait.

D

Deleted member 1147

Just back from Amendoeira.
Played the Faldo & O'Connor courses on site and went to Vilamoura to play the Old Course.

I enjoyed all 3 courses very much. My favourite being the Old course, it's more an old fashioned English type course where the most important decision is what to hit off the tee and how aggressive to be.
The Faldo course was interesting, more an American style desert course. Where the ball went in the air didn't matter, what was important is where the ball landed. Like Faldo's game - it's all about thinking your way round.
The O'Connor was a really nice track as well - much more open off the tee so you can open up your shoulders more often (just make sure you don't run out of fairway as I did a few times). There are some massive slopes on the greens.