UV torch when finding balls.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Anyone been to the course with one of these.

Between all of the lockdowns I came across a piece where someone had purchased one of these and went to the course with it. Anyway £8 later Amazon Prime delivered me one. Suffice to say that night I headed up to the golf course.
Now before I get onto how I went on, there was not a cloud in the sky it was 5 pm and pitch black. I cannot remember the last time I saw such a fantastic sky. There was nigh on no light pollution and there was millions of stars. It was stunning.
Anyway I flicked on the torch and 2 hours later I had 187 balls. It was amazing, the balls that have any colour on them are just fluorescent. I spoke to the head green keeper about going up and he said he don’t have a problem what so ever. knowing our course I had a few ideas of where to go re long grass and OOB and it certainly helped. I went up the following Friday and this time managed to find 191 balls. So the bottom line is the torch paid for itself and Ave enough balls to last me a few years.
once they had all been cleaned as it happens our regular fourball all play with different balls so the treasures were shared.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Won't be long before the high horse brigade come along to say how it's stealing. However, my nephew and I frequent a local course with public right of way. He fills his bucket in two hours using a uv Tourch. They are very effective
I did have a good natter with the green keeper, he said “your not going anywhere that you are going to damage the course are you”. Which was a No.
That aside Hovis, the noise from the wildlife was strange. Listening to the owls and pigeons in the trees. About half an hour before I came back after me first outing, the mist came rolling in and the course looked stunning.
I won’t be going up for a bit coz at the moment a bit of fresh air on me lungs would set me of coughing massively. A trip to the garage is an ordeal.
Edit to say, I gave a load of balls to me daughters partner, I showed her the torch and she asked for one for work ( police) I asked why and she said “ you wouldn’t want to know“. ?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Won't be long before the high horse brigade come along to say how it's stealing. However, my nephew and I frequent a local course with public right of way. He fills his bucket in two hours using a uv Tourch. They are very effective

I would like to thank you for doing your bit for the environment. ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is crazy. I wonder why golf courses don't do it themselves and flog them in the pro shop. Selling the members their own balls back to them!

I don't even pick up most of the balls I find in regular play anymore, let alone something like this. I used to but I found I just chucked them all in a big bag and never used them for anything. So now I only pick one up if it's one of the balls I would actually buy and use.

Having gone to the effort of finding 370 odd balls, you should sort through them, see if you can make up a few dozens of ProV1s, or Chromesofts etc, then sell them on a Facebook buy and sell or on Ebay. Then it really would pay for the torch, several times over. What were the most common brands and models that you found?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
This made me smile!

About 2 years ago I was sent one to test by a company I had done market research for. I laughed at the prospect, thinking it was a gimmick. So, I gave it a go after dark and was shocked how good it was. The balls really do "glow" and are easy to see. A quick trawl of likely places and I quickly filled a carrier bag. Have used a few times subsequently, always come back with loads.

After cleaning, (a pain) the percentage of balls I would actually use on a course was quite low. Very handy for a supply of practice balls though. You could sort and sell on eBay, but once you work out the time required and the price you get, not sure it would be worth it. WEAR GLOVES or brambles will cut you to bits!!

Why is finding a lost golf ball so satisfying? Crazy!

No idea if this is a similar torch, but the search on here looks reasonable representation!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My dad used to go into the trees when his ball went in and come out with 5 more ..people just leave them

He kept them in his garage in end

One day was bored I sorted them into brands

Ended up giving them to mates who just started the game

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I hope you'll sterilise them all before use! ;)
I don't have an issue with somebody doing this. In Scotland the courses are pretty much all public right of way anyway so you can't stop people.
With that kind of quantity it would be good to donate to the junior section or something like that.
When I used to play at Walton Muni in Warrington there was an old guy walking around with a couple of Golden Retrievers that were trained to find and collect them for him. He used to sell them on the course.

Tashyboy

Visit site
That is crazy. I wonder why golf courses don't do it themselves and flog them in the pro shop. Selling the members their own balls back to them!

I don't even pick up most of the balls I find in regular play anymore, let alone something like this. I used to but I found I just chucked them all in a big bag and never used them for anything. So now I only pick one up if it's one of the balls I would actually buy and use.

Having gone to the effort of finding 370 odd balls, you should sort through them, see if you can make up a few dozens of ProV1s, or Chromesofts etc, then sell them on a Facebook buy and sell or on Ebay. Then it really would pay for the torch, several times over. What were the most common brands and models that you found?

I had the ProV1s and Mizunos.
Trev had the Bridgestone and Wilson staffs.
Barry had the Tp5s,footballs and chrome soft
Nigel had the ProV 1x and Vice.

the Ad333s were probably the most and those and the velocity’s ended up with the daughters partner..

The second time I went I walked down 3 holes In total. There is one spot where there are trees both sides 20 yds from a tee. That was a treasure trove. First ball,I found within seconds was a football. £3. Now when I went golfing the next time I had a look around where I found 80-90 balls and I could not believe they had not been found. When I went I had a grubby old coat on. Some of the balls were well and truly in privy hedges. So there’s no way you would of gone in with your Galvin greens on. Ball retriever helped a lot.

The first time I went I was very sceptical, again. I only did 3 holes. The first 100 yds was long grass OOB. I found a ball within seconds it was a eureka moment. Again it’s very hard to believe they were never found. What amused me, on that particular hole it’s OOB on the LG’s. About 200 yds plus from the tees there were a quite a few premium balls about 20 - 30 yds nearer the tee the balls became mid range. One or two of them would of been mine.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A guy i know from Tain has one, he says they really work and finds 1000's. he caddies at Dornoch so it always over there using it on his "hot Spots"

Tashyboy

Visit site
I hope you'll sterilise them all before use! ;)
I don't have an issue with somebody doing this. In Scotland the courses are pretty much all public right of way anyway so you can't stop people.
With that kind of quantity it would be good to donate to the junior section or something like that.
When I used to play at Walton Muni in Warrington there was an old guy walking around with a couple of Golden Retrievers that were trained to find and collect them for him. He used to sell them on the course.

my hands were sore with the bleach.

Re the junior section I spoke to one of our pros who is a county coach with the young ins. He is going a lot of coaching with the schools. The only balls he uses are the plastic air balls.

Tashyboy

Visit site
This made me smile!

About 2 years ago I was sent one to test by a company I had done market research for. I laughed at the prospect, thinking it was a gimmick. So, I gave it a go after dark and was shocked how good it was. The balls really do "glow" and are easy to see. A quick trawl of likely places and I quickly filled a carrier bag. Have used a few times subsequently, always come back with loads.

After cleaning, (a pain) the percentage of balls I would actually use on a course was quite low. Very handy for a supply of practice balls though. You could sort and sell on eBay, but once you work out the time required and the price you get, not sure it would be worth it. WEAR GLOVES or brambles will cut you to bits!!

Why is finding a lost golf ball so satisfying? Crazy!

No idea if this is a similar torch, but the search on here looks reasonable representation!

That post could of been written by me word for word. Deffo wear gloves and Ave deffo had splinters.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

There was once an edict from the committee where I play

" All balls found on the course must handed in to the pro who will sell them, with the proceeds going to charity"

I never saw any such balls for sale in the shop.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had the ProV1s and Mizunos.
Trev had the Bridgestone and Wilson staffs.
Barry had the Tp5s,footballs and chrome soft
Nigel had the ProV 1x and Vice.

the Ad333s were probably the most and those and the velocity’s ended up with the daughters partner..

The second time I went I walked down 3 holes In total. There is one spot where there are trees both sides 20 yds from a tee. That was a treasure trove. First ball,I found within seconds was a football. £3. Now when I went golfing the next time I had a look around where I found 80-90 balls and I could not believe they had not been found. When I went I had a grubby old coat on. Some of the balls were well and truly in privy hedges. So there’s no way you would of gone in with your Galvin greens on. Ball retriever helped a lot.

The first time I went I was very sceptical, again. I only did 3 holes. The first 100 yds was long grass OOB. I found a ball within seconds it was a eureka moment. Again it’s very hard to believe they were never found. What amused me, on that particular hole it’s OOB on the LG’s. About 200 yds plus from the tees there were a quite a few premium balls about 20 - 30 yds nearer the tee the balls became mid range. One or two of them would of been mine.
I imagine one of the most common reasons people don't find their ball is that they think they've they've striped it 250 yards and only just offline, when in actual fact it's only gone 200 and held up in the grass. Never going to find it if you're looking in the wrong place.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Daft question but wouldn't sticking them n the dishwasher effectively clean them?

Am sure it could do a job but looking at the state of most of these balls, Missis T would have a dicky fit if I slapped them in on a 70 degree wash ??