Using iron shafts that are too heavy?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In simple terms whats happens when using iron shafts that are too heavy?

I've currently got lightweight shafts in my irons (dynamic gold SL x100)
They weigh around 110 grams I think
They're working very well and no intention of changing anytime soon

But was curious if I picked up a club with say for example dynamic gold S300 shaft (130 grams) what difference could I expect to my shots?

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In simple terms whats happens when using iron shafts that are too heavy?

I've currently got lightweight shafts in my irons (dynamic gold SL x100)
They weigh around 110 grams I think
They're working very well and no intention of changing anytime soon

But was curious if I picked up a club with say for example dynamic gold S300 shaft (130 grams) what difference could I expect to my shots?

I can't see how 20 grams can make much if any difference.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
From google it seems that even 10 grams increase can make a difference. Was curious if anyone here had done something similar

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From my fitting experience I found a heavier shaft lowered my flight a little and brought my spin numbers down a bit too.

I personally like the heavier shaft as I feel i have more control over the clubhead.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
From my fitting experience I found a heavier shaft lowered my flight a little and brought my spin numbers down a bit too.

I personally like the heavier shaft as I feel i have more control over the clubhead.

Would you have found it also meant a loss of distance?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't think it would make much difference but I have to say I definitely found using a lighter weight shaft like XP or Dynalite Gold SL gave me better feel and distance compared with a standard TT DG R300.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Shafts that are too heavy will impede the wrist-snap and release and slow the swing speed down - causing loss of distance.

I actually prefer heavier shafts to lighter ones - much more predictable and/as my wrists work pretty well. Too light shafts cause me more problems than too heavy ones!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not a huge fan of a heavy shafts in irons, just makes the club feel dull and cumbersome. Looking to get fitted once again this year and going for a lighter shaft this time, I like to feel irons kick. Probably going to drop a shaft flex and maybe hardstep them

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my experience, the heavier shafts forced me to "chase" the downswing a little too much, resulting in serious Pulls to the left. As soon as I dropped 20g from the shaft, I felt like I could control the swing better which resulted in more consistent striking... Or it could all be in my head...:D

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
In my experience, the heavier shafts forced me to "chase" the downswing a little too much, resulting in serious Pulls to the left. As soon as I dropped 20g from the shaft, I felt like I could control the swing better which resulted in more consistent striking... Or it could all be in my head...:D

I'm exactly the opposite!:thup::eek:ne:

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See 'For Sale' section. I, mistakenly, thought I had the minerals to hit S300's.

Not the case.

Like for like testing with lighter, XP115, shafts resulted in;

Faster swing speed
Significantly better Smash Factor
Significantly better spin numbers

Visually, S300's dropped out of the air like a stone 20 yards shorter than the XP115

Average 20 yard difference, better dispersion.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In your head maybe. Hold 2 clubs in your hands with 20 gram difference in weight and I bet you couldn't even tell the difference, unless you were a junior or a elderly woman.

Probably correct not withstanding the unnecessary remark at the end of your sentence.

However take the clubs and perform a full swing and you will feel a difference. Absolutely you will.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
In your head maybe. Hold 2 clubs in your hands with 20 gram difference in weight and I bet you couldn't even tell the difference, unless you were a junior or a elderly woman.

Your totally right, I don't think anyone could tell just by holding the same club in 2 different weighted shafts. But then that is irrelevant, because it is how it swings that matters. The heavier shaft will make the club react different than the lighter one.

Not so much Clubhead speed, but for someone like myself that has a good rip at it rather than a smooth swing, the extra weight definatly makes a difference. When getting fitted I believe the shaft weight is more important than the flex.