US picks

D

Deleted member 15344

Schaufele or Finau? It's going to be one of these two. If Shuffly wins this weekend, he will be hard to ignore.
Bet Furyk wishes he could pick again and put one of them in instead of Mickleson

D

Deleted member 15344

Phil is our Sergio and Poulter picks. Sentimental, no reason otherwise to select him.

How can Poulter be a sentimental pick only when he was position 9 in the points list ? That’s the one pick that people can clearly point to and say it’s based on performance this season

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not the biggest Phil fan, be interested to see if his game suits the course, but he has won this year, 24th in world rankings, 9th in fedex, makes a lot of birdies and has shown good partnerships with players over recent years. And that ignores his historic wins.

Not the best Ryder Cup record but I think you have to give him credit that it's more than a sentimental pick, particularly as the two people being talked about for the last pick haven't won this year (I think).

Interesting pointed noted that all the other players have obvious playing partners apart from Phil, so if Furyk was very bold the final pick should just be who Phil thinks he'd play best. Keegan Bradley good be in with a shout ;-)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
How can Poulter be a sentimental pick only when he was position 9 in the points list ? That’s the one pick that people can clearly point to and say it’s based on performance this season

One win?

A man clearly in decline and living off a past Ryder Cup record. Hardly performance based. He'll get 1 point if he's lucky, fairly confident he'll do sod all.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
One win?

A man clearly in decline and living off a past Ryder Cup record. Hardly performance based. He'll get 1 point if he's lucky, fairly confident he'll do sod all.
That one win was when he was right up against it.

I don't think anyone would argue he's in the top 24 most talented golfers in the world. But he's a fighter, and imo, certainly not the first one in our team that the US players will want to face.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
That one win was when he was right up against it.

I don't think anyone would argue he's in the top 24 most talented golfers in the world. But he's a fighter, and imo, certainly not the first one in our team that the US players will want to face.

Not one of that US side will lose any sleep over playing Poulter.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Not one of that US side will lose any sleep over playing Poulter.

They're all superstars, I imagine that they will fancy their chances against everyone, that being said, i certainly don't see him as being anyone's first pick. Well maybe Bubba, who likes the fun as much as he does.

D

Deleted member 15344

One win?

Sorry but factually you are talking complete nonsense - his career actually to be in another upward curve where is performances this season have took him up the World Ranking points , as well as being 9th in the Ryder Cup plus his first tour win for years. Your idea of decline appears to be a bit back to front.

Who should have gone instead of him when you consider he was higher up the points than all the other possibilities

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
He won in April and has steadily been back in decline ever since. If I'm not mistaken the very beginning of April at that.

Therefore yes he is going backwards.

You want form you pick Rafa or Wallace.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Have to agree on Poults not being at the races I'm afraid. Sentimental pick IMO and also believe he'll struggle to get more than a point, so for me there is two singles points coughed up on picks with him and Garcia. In regards Wallace, deffo on form but, he's not a world player and I think you do need a team of world players, not just European players.

D

Deleted member 15344

He won in April and has steadily been back in decline ever since. If I'm not mistaken the very beginning of April at that.

Therefore yes he is going backwards.

You want form you pick Rafa or Wallace.

Is Rafa really in that great form ?

He hasn’t won on tour all year , his best result was a fourth at the Italian Open in June , had a number of missed cuts since then and one top ten at the Dell and tied tenth at PGA. Poulter has obviously won this year plus three other top tens since then with one just recently at the WGC.

Their overall record this season is pretty much similar bar Poulter - Rafas world ranking has gone from 20th to 30th where as Poulter from 60th to 31st - both missed the same amount of cuts - so if you think Poulter isn’t being picked because of performance then how can Rafa be picked over him or is that just based on a top 10 recently

As for Wallace - yep he won a few times on ET this year - seems to be the events which is loaded with Challenge Tour players hence why the rankings points gained where so small - he wasn’t able to play in the WGC but did ok at the PGA but most of the other majors and Rolex events he missed the cut - so maybe he isn’t cut out for the big events.

So when looking at the cold hard facts - how it can be said Poulter gets in on sentiment is laughable and the alternatives given are not exactly ripping up trees

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
The problem with the American's leaving their last pick until so late, is that it becomes very hard to not pick the highest place guy in the most recent tournament.

Look at the leaderboard of the BMW. The 2 highest placed Americans are Bradley and Schauffle. Both can't be on the team and even Schauffle may not make it unless he wins.

Form is a fine guage, but it is very much temporary. The reason both sides have pretty much a 1 year qualifying period is to select the best players.

If Schauffle is picked, then the US will have selected the 12 best players in their qualifying period. Which is more accident rather than design as it is likely Tiger or Phil would have been picked even if a few players had been ahead of them.

Also - as for Phil. I wouldn't worry about him. He is still making loads of birdies. Obviously a few bad holes, but in the Ryder Cup that won't bother him and he would still be able to contribute on current form, in fourball at least.