US picks

D

Deleted member 18588

Don't really see that there is much of a "Home Team advantage".

Of the eight players already known how many of them play much in Europe and the same is true of those most likely to be Captain's Picks.

It is not like the 80's and 90's when a case could be made for the matches representing a contrast of golfing styles.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Of the eight players already known how many of them play much in Europe and the same is true of those most likely to be Captain's Picks.

It is not like the 80's and 90's when a case could be made for the matches representing a contrast of golfing styles.

Ok these guys are on another planet to my golf but even at my level as I regularly play diff courses there's an adjustment playing on different grass & soil etc and unless they believe France is similar to a typical PGA course I'm surprised they didn't have more playing in the ET event a couple months back

And while it'll take them a fraction of the time to adjust as it takes me, the Europe guys will likely do it even quicker and that's an advantage (even a small one)

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
to me KK looks like a gritty player, the one you dont want as an opponent at a matchplay event. TF has a questionable short game, the one you like as an opponent

D

Deleted member 18588

Ok these guys are on another planet to my golf but even at my level as I regularly play diff courses there's an adjustment playing on different grass & soil etc and unless they believe France is similar to a typical PGA course I'm surprised they didn't have more playing in the ET event a couple months back

And while it'll take them a fraction of the time to adjust as it takes me, the Europe guys will likely do it even quicker and that's an advantage (even a small one)

But only Olesen of the eight could really be deemed a European Tour player. The remaining seven would have to now be considered PGA players and, therefore, like their US counterparts more accustomed to American courses.

In any event they will experience different grasses and conditions throughout the season.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Agree, but the difference is that the European players grew up over here and have much more experience in playing in these conditions. And also will still play 6 or 7 events over here, if not more.

The only guy on the US team with experience of playing a lot outside America is Brooks Koepka. I'm sure he would argue that playing in Europe made him a much better player.

D

Deleted member 18588

Agree, but the difference is that the European players grew up over here and have much more experience in playing in these conditions. And also will still play 6 or 7 events over here, if not more.

The only guy on the US team with experience of playing a lot outside America is Brooks Koepka. I'm sure he would argue that playing in Europe made him a much better player.

A number of them will have grown up playing US College golf and as for playing 6 or 7 times over here I doubt that the conditions in China and the Gulf states are comparable with Paris.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
A number of them will have grown up playing US College golf and as for playing 6 or 7 times over here I doubt that the conditions in China and the Gulf states are comparable with Paris.

not saying they are comparable, but simply the experience of playing in different countries / courses / conditions helps all round golfing ability.

D

Deleted member 18588

not saying they are comparable, but simply the experience of playing in different countries / courses / conditions helps all round golfing ability.

And the PGA Tour plays in California, New England, Florida etc;

Different grasses, conditions and style of courses.

And that's a good thing for the European Team as the USA is where most of them live and play.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The US picks were not a surprise were they. Woods seems to be making big steps in his comeback, Mickleson has big RC experience and will be an influence in the team room. De Chambreau is clearly a man in form and so compliments an already strong squad that on paper seems, at least me, to be one of the strongest ever. It'll be a big ask for the European side even with home advantage

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
And the PGA Tour plays in California, New England, Florida etc;

Different grasses, conditions and style of courses.

And that's a good thing for the European Team as the USA is where most of them live and play.

I don't think you are really grasping my point

The Europeans have far more experience playing around the world during their formative years (and in Pro years), in different courses, different conditions and different set ups. I feel this has aided their overall golfing ability, compared with playing target golf in America for probably 95% of their professional events (as the US team have done, other than Koepka).

The PGA tour plays on similar layouts, in similar conditions and crucially with fairly easy set ups all year round.

Pretty much all of the European team, other than Rahm, have played multiple full seasons on the European Tour before they qualified for the US tour and / or relocated to the US.

I feel this has created a bit advantage for the European team who have won 6 of the last 8 and 8 of the last 11 events, despite often not being fancied prior to the event.

D

Deleted member 18588

I don't think you are really grasping my point

The Europeans have far more experience playing around the world during their formative years (and in Pro years), in different courses, different conditions and different set ups. I feel this has aided their overall golfing ability, compared with playing target golf in America for probably 95% of their professional events (as the US team have done, other than Koepka).

The PGA tour plays on similar layouts, in similar conditions and crucially with fairly easy set ups all year round.

Pretty much all of the European team, other than Rahm, have played multiple full seasons on the European Tour before they qualified for the US tour and / or relocated to the US.

I feel this has created a bit advantage for the European team who have won 6 of the last 8 and 8 of the last 11 events, despite often not being fancied prior to the event.

I fear that you have a very simplistic idea of the PGA Tour if you think all the courses and conditions are very similar.

It's rather like the argument that when in Europe the RC should be played on a links course as that would favour our players.

Only need to look at the top20 or 25 in most Open Championships to see the fallacy in that.

The courses for the leading events on the European Tour, which are generally the only ones in which our team play, are "World" style and more American than anything else.

Sorry but IMO home advantage either way is massively over estimated.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I fear that you have a very simplistic idea of the PGA Tour if you think all the courses and conditions are very similar.

It's rather like the argument that when in Europe the RC should be played on a links course as that would favour our players.

Only need to look at the top20 or 25 in most Open Championships to see the fallacy in that.

The courses for the leading events on the European Tour, which are generally the only ones in which our team play, are "World" style and more American than anything else.

Well the results don't back that up, with the US winning ZERO cups on European soil since 1993.

I watch plenty of US golf and I know the style. Very few tight layouts, a lot of big greens and weather doesn't play much of a part.

Favours the bombers, generally. No premium on accuracy.

I'm not saying have it on a links course. However, I think that would favour the Europeans marginally. It's more the set up, with a bit more juicy rough in the Autumn, ball not flying as far, slower greens, damp conditions in the morning.

Look at Gleneages. A moorland layout, but not unlike many American parkland courses, with doglegs, wider fairways, large greens and 2 or 3 cuts of rough before the hay. That was a standard European Tour set up. Not tricked up, not designed to catch anyone out or take away the longer hitters advantage. The Americans got absolutely hammered. European Tour guys like Jamie Donaldson and Victor Dubuisson - very much journeyman tour players, were winning points against seasoned American major champions.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure why some think that playing in France is going to give Europe a massive advantage, I think it will take a lot more than "home advantage" to beat the USA.

Time will tell but my money is on The USA 🇱🇷

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I agree here played a lot in US and from state to state the grass is very varied it’s not all Bermuda.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
To be honest most courses th eruropean tour is played on now are very 'american' and the course wont make a jot of difference. The fact that most fans will be cheering for Europe will make more difference. The U.S boys will runaway with it they are soo much strongeer player to player

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of Furyks lesser known picks, bloke called Woods is doing rather well so far today. Has a 5 footer to go to -6 thru 9.
I stuck a quid each way on Kisner as I thought he'd be going all out for that last Ryder spot. Hasn't worked out so far, he's +2. :oops: