US picks

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Not sure if there is a topic on this but confirmed, Tiger, Phil and DeC, bit of a result for Europe me thinks as I don't think Tiger and Phil are great at the RC, DeC is on fire though.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think it always happens before a RC - the US get declared the winners before anyone has teed off

They haven’t won outside the US since 93 is it ? Looking at the World rankings the European Squad is far from Weak.

This is going to be a close one and one to look forward to.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
My son is currently working at Le National and he says it's no bombers course, proper position off the tee is far more crucial than smashing it 340 down there he says.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No surprises there with the 3 picks - I wonder if Jim will have a Phil & Tiger partnership.
The US have some very strong & in form players, but they also have out of form players in Bubba, Spieth & Fowler.
I reckon it's going to be a close run thing, but expect Europe to edge it.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
No surprises there with the 3 picks - I wonder if Jim will have a Phil & Tiger partnership.
The US have some very strong & in form players, but they also have out of form players in Bubba, Spieth & Fowler.
I reckon it's going to be a close run thing, but expect Europe to edge it.

Spieth and Bubba were right up there on Sunday at the Dell, hardly out of form, both in fact finished ahead of Woods/Phil/Keopka. Bubba was 4th best American and Spieth 5th in it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Very strong side but not sure on Phil.

Finau must surely be the 4th? Although if they want to pick Kuch out of sentimental value (like Phil) then feel free as wee need all the help we can get.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site

Finau must surely be the 4th? Although if they want to pick Kuch out of sentimental value (like Phil) then feel free as wee need all the help we can get.
Kuch isn't on the pick list as he was named as a VC if I heard correctly.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I think they’ll go Finau too

Although I think Europe has a pretty good chance and very much looking forward to it being a classic

I don’t think Europe will be that much in awe of the US team this time and the rookies are for the most part ‘just’ RC rookies with what seems like far more top level Tour experience than the rookies last time. I like that half the team played competitive golf there just 10 weeks ago (plus the Captain) V’s just one US player (JT) there has to be some advantage in that

While definitely wanting a Europe win there’s still US players I’m a fan of for the rest of the year so weirdly I’ll still hope they do well

Just 3 ½ weeks to go!

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Woods seems a odd choice given his track record in the RC and him consistently coming up short under pressure this year; good for us though.

Share the view that it could be close, at least I hope so - with Tommy Fleetwood getting the winning point 😁

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't be so sure about it being a foregone conclusion.

Of course they have a stronger team on paper, but Europe have a lot of good players plus home advantage.

Plus there is a mentality about being heavy favourites that makes it difficult to deal with.

USA haven't won in Europe since 1993. And there's a reason for this. USA guys typically play very little golf outside of America where the courses are all of a similar style, the grass and weather is also different to European conditions.

I feel the perfectly manicured, typically wide open courses on the PGA tour are the main reason Europe has such an advantage over the USA in the Ryder Cup in recent times. Typically you have to shoot under par to make the cut in America, while in Europe maybe one or two over will make the cut. Clearly fewer difficult or problematic courses where accuracy is not as important and you can often make a 2 putt par from anywhere off the tee.

6-2 to Europe in Cups played this century. With 2 US wins in America. That's definitely a trend and not simply a small sample size.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, I had to Google that, it says "what," but I dont understand "why!"

Because the year Horschel caught fire in the Fed-Ex they named all 4 picks early before the Fed-Ex events. Instead of Horschel, Tom Watson ended up picking wildly out of form Webb Simpson because of a text message Simpson text him. Simpson then promptly skied his first tee-shot on the first morning barely making the fairway and wasn't seen again until the singles. After that the US "Ryder Cup Task Force" was created and they decided that they needed to change it so that these players on form weren't missed out.