US Open

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, you're both missing the point. At the time I misinterpreted his points as just having a dig at Bryson. However since saying that he worked to add speed and therefore distance to his own game. I'm just giving him a bit of credit for that, that's all. He didn't just rest on his laurels.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us...wins-with-long-driving-power-the-stack-system

His driving was superb all week.

No, I don't think we are. You asked if he is reassessing his comments about Bryson. He isn't, because what he did was entirely different.

If anything he has endorsed his previous comments by showing that distance is only a one-dimensional tool and he has used it to allow his accuracy and great short game to do the scoring.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, I don't think we are. You asked if he is reassessing his comments about Bryson. He isn't, because what he did was entirely different.

If anything he has endorsed his previous comments by showing that distance is only a one-dimensional tool and he has used it to allow his accuracy and great short game to do the scoring.
He said Bryson was making a mockery of the game and dismissed by saying "anyone can get a longer driver" etc etc. I thought Bryson's reply at the time was good, he simply offered to help Matt with advice on speed training. According to an article I just saw, Matt actually did take him up on that and have a chat with him, which is where I think he deserves credit. (y)

Springveldt

Visit site
I agree with him about Bryson, and recent results are proving Bryson to be a flash in the pan. He had a couple of years where he was going to crush Augusta and it crushed him. And his injuries are an issue. Now he has slunk off to the LIV Tour, where the level of competition is less and the courses will be chosen to suit Bryson's long and wild game.

Matt isn't hitting bombs, he is hitting shots which allow him to show his skill without a starting disadvantage. That shot from the fairway bunker was stunning.

Actually he is. On the 18th last night he had a 171mph ball speed with his 3 wood, that used to be his "going after it" driver speed. He was regularly above 180mph ball speed with his driver.

As I said Friday night, he is sneaky long now. I don't think people realise just how much his golf game has changed because he hasn't physically changed. He has went full Bryson golf game wise, he's probably gained around 10-12mph on his driver which is huge.

I went back and had a look at his highlights from when he won the DPWT Championship 18 months ago.

jO8mGe1l.png

zdETO8dl.png

Compare that to last night, his tee shot on the first.

C7moDU1l.png

This one was straight into a 10mph wind and he carried it to the front edge which was probably 290. Without the wind that is carrying 320 yards.

ygvXR7ul.png

3 wood on the last.

beqo7cFl.png

As I said, he is long now just without the physical change.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
A great finish under pressure and to my recollection the only golf I’ve stayed up to watch the finish of other than the masters.

It’s a while since I’ve waited up to see the finish of any golf played in the States. Worth the late night last night - a fabulous finish and a deserved winner. That bunker shot down the 72nd hole was shot of the tournament for me.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So pleased to see Fitzpatrick win, always liked him and his style of play.

I’m kicking myself a little bit because I’ve been backing him to win in every major since the 2016 Masters as I got a fluke result on him there.

But I stopped backing him this year because his performance last year was disappointing. :D

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've heard lots of comments in the past that Matt's young brother Alex is a better prospect. Well this has set the bar pretty high ??

Hopefully this shuts those people up now. ;)

Apparently Alex turned down a $2M Liv offer. Can’t be much longer before he turns pro now.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Next level achieved - hit 2 fabulous shots (the long putt & the bunker shot), absolutely deserving of the win. Feel a bit for Zalatoris, not a big fan of Shuffler but hard to criticise his mentality - am glad it didn't go to a play off.

My only complaint is that McGinley was involved in the final broadcast..... just makes no sense to me: "...from where he is, absolutely no chance of getting it near the pin or getting it to stop..." (ball lands near the pin and stops)... "...yip, good shot there, got the height he needed and the control he needed". Maybe LIV will make McGinley an offer.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Next level achieved - hit 2 fabulous shots (the long putt & the bunker shot), absolutely deserving of the win. Feel a bit for Zalatoris, not a big fan of Shuffler but hard to criticise his mentality - am glad it didn't go to a play off.

My only complaint is that McGinley was involved in the final broadcast..... just makes no sense to me: "...from where he is, absolutely no chance of getting it near the pin or getting it to stop..." (ball lands near the pin and stops)... "...yip, good shot there, got the height he needed and the control he needed". Maybe LIV will make McGinley an offer.

All the commentators are guilty of it at times, they call the shot beforehand, only for whoever to play the exact opposite and do what they said can't be done. They then just ignore their comment as if they never said a word. Chuckle about this a lot. Agree with you on McGinley though, he's awful as a commentator.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
All the commentators are guilty of it at times, they call the shot beforehand, only for whoever to play the exact opposite and do what they said can't be done. They then just ignore their comment as if they never said a word. Chuckle about this a lot.
I find Radar is the worst for that. "If he gets this within 25 feet it'll be a miracle" *ball ends up about 6 feet away*. I don't think he realises that the top players are so much better than he ever was. :LOL:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
On the PGA Tour official stats, Matt is still below average driving distance. DJ was properly long when in the mood, and I doubt Matt could keep up. I think he is better suited to tight tricky courses rather than those massive 7700 yard monsters.
Was talking to a few lads at the course a few weeks ago re Matt. The conversation went around to his brother Alex and the lengths that he can drive the ball. Apparently further than Matt. It was said that Alex will be a better player than his brother. Now that is some statement especially as Matt is a US amateur champion and US champion.

sunshine

Visit site
Fair play to Fitzpatrick. When he 3 putted 11 to turn potential birdie into bogey I thought oh no he's going to bottle it and fade away. But superb bounce back, he showed nerves of steel on such a tough course. No panic, he went for his shots, and was actually pretty aggressive all day. No laying up!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

McGinley is awful. Sky got rid of one commentator who liked the sound of his own voice in Monty, and simply replaced him with someone even more irritating.

sunshine

Visit site
On the PGA Tour official stats, Matt is still below average driving distance. DJ was properly long when in the mood, and I doubt Matt could keep up. I think he is better suited to tight tricky courses rather than those massive 7700 yard monsters.

This week he was 16th for driving distance - 309 yards. That is pretty high up and way above average.

Don't know if the firm fairways worked to his advantage, as his trajectory is a bit flatter than most of the big hitters.