US Masters 2024

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've no particular strong feelings about Dougherty or a lot of other commentators either way, but he was a professional golfer and has a pretty good understanding of professional golf. If golfers are doing interviews away from the golf course I have no objection to them being asked difficult questions but when they have just come in from a round or about to go out is not the time, you don't get sensible candid answers from virtually any sportsmen or women in that situation and I don't blame them.

Swango1980

Visit site
He's boring, he brings nothing to the conversation and really sucks up to everyone.

I want something more edgy and controversial.

I am fed up with most of the commentators not asking the hard questions. Sky and others pay millions and sometimes billions and just suck up, pointless having interviews if you can't ask about the good and bad. if I have to hear how amazing Tiger is by Nick again it will do my head in. I'm just waiting for him to get on his knees.

It's probably worse on the masters as there is such a lack of coverage he has to do more presenting, he's like, here is the course isn't it nice and green and shiny, oh look he hits the ball very far, oh Sir Nick blah blah, no content just pandering (IMO). I suppose I just switch him off for a few minutes on the other tournaments.

I will admit I have zero interest in hearing from commentators of any type that haven't done it. If you haven't won a major you can't tell me what it feels like, Sir Nick at least he has delivered across the board. In many sports we have a tendency to put these no marks on as experts when they aren't really.
Personally, I'd absolutely hate that.

The scummy media is full enough of those types of journalists who like to try and ask controversial and edgy questions, just to get a bit of clickbait. Football is full of it.

I'd rather golf stay away from that type of journalism, respect that players have good and bad days, and refrain from trying to put players on the spot and trying to get a reaction.

I'd only expect that if something truly controversial happened. But 99.9% of the time, it is just a game of golf. Nobody is diving to earn a birdie or cost another player a bogey. No one has had a birdie disallowed due to poor VAR call. And nobody has made a rash swing and injured a fellow player.

PS some of the pundits might not have won a major. But they've played in Majors, and know exactly how difficult it is to win one. They are probably better placed to tell us how 90% of the players feel, given most of the field have never won a Major

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Do we really need to listen to this 15-minute waffle from Henni or is there any danger of seeing some golf?
All this week, Sky has been going overload on waffle. I feel sorry for Henni though - left behind at Sky HQ whilst the others are eating BBQ sandwiches at Augusta National.

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't know if this has been said already.
But the Starter introducing the players with "Fore please now driving......!
Sounds crap to me.
The Open introduction far more in keeping with a major tournament.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know if this has been said already.
But the Starter introducing the players with "Fore please now driving......!
Sounds crap to me.
The Open introduction far more in keeping with a major tournament.
Yeah it sounds bizarre. Give me a "on the tee..." any day.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I sometimes wonder if green jacket members sit around in the clubhouse laughing at all the hoops they get people to jump through just to play or even watch golf on their course.
This is no different to most golf clubs up and down the land.

Knee length socks and dress codes!

Springveldt

Visit site
Do the broadcasters actually get punished if somebody says "spectators"?
I’ve read that they have threatened TV companies before that if they don’t use the correct verbiage then they won’t be considered for future contracts.

You also had the famous “bikini wax” comment and the commentator hasn’t done one since.

I’m amazed Radar hasn’t managed to get himself on the poop list, I’m just waiting on his slip up.

Last edited: