US Masters 2024

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's that and 3rd choice goalkeeper.
Has Harry or Scott Carson lived the dream more? 🤣

From memory, Rory has said he doesn't want a caddy to debate with him, a la Speith, Thomas and others. Having his mate on the bag keeps him relaxed, keeps him happy, his view. If that ultimately costs him majors, it's his decision. Maybe he wins more this way, we are not likely to ever know otherwise.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Zach Johnson claiming he was directing the expletives at himself rather than the crowd - who he looked up at as he shouted Foxtrot Oscar - anybody buying that?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Anyone playing Masters Fantasy? We have a league and, providing you’re not cast adrift after the first two rounds, those who have players who missed the cut have a massive advantage.

I’ve managed to swap in two players in the current top ten for two who missed the cut. But because both of those scored me reasonable points in the first round, most notably Hovland, I haven’t lost a great deal whilst I have potentially gained a huge amount by picking players who appear bang in form.

Contrast that to anyone who has four players who made the cut. I was in that position last year, and had a huge lead after two rounds. But a couple of my picks only just scraped through to the weekend. Suffice to say they played badly in rounds three and four, and mates who were able to swap players in left me trailing in their wake!!

I know it’s a bit of fun, but the game is seriously flawed.

Last edited:

TigerTime

Visit site
I think it was 12 where Scottie hit a low draw into the green, which was obviously the right play, and Rory tries to go for the high shot and boom in the water, literally seconds after watching Scheffler's shot. Put that down to poor decision making, caddie not helping, or simply not having the ability to pull off that kind of shots.

He doesn't like the wind Rory, and that will be his downfall. He needs perfect weather all week for him to be close.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anyone playing Masters Fantasy? We have a league and, providing you’re not cast adrift after the first two rounds, those who have players who missed the cut have a massive advantage.

I’ve managed to swap in two players in the current top ten for two who missed the cut. But because both of those scored me reasonable points in the first round, most notably Hovland, I haven’t lost a great deal but have potentially gained a huge amount by picking players who appear bang in form.

Contrast that to anyone who has four players who made the cut. I was in that position last year, and had a huge lead after two rounds. But a couple of my picks only just scraped through to the weekend. Suffice to say they played badly in rounds three and four, and mates who were able to swap players in left me trailing in their wake!!

I know it’s a bit of fun, but the game is seriously flawed.

We do a comp with our mates. 10 of us. 3 players with a combined odds of 100/1
All 3 must make the cut to get into the weekend.
Only 4 of us remain.
It's a tough school.
Cut moved to +6 late on getting me and my mate through. Sqeeky bum time.

wjemather

Visit site
Not think he could talk him out of some odd shot choices?
McIlroy making a bit of a chancellor of this now. It’s either poor decision making or poor execution.
McIlroy is mentally shot, particularly at Augusta. He always makes multiple bad decisions every round, especially when conditions are testing - I counted at least 10 yesterday, many of which should have been prevented by his caddie (obviously wrong shot/club selection), and a couple which were just amateurish.

wjemather

Visit site
To be fair to McGinley, that is a very interesting fact on McIlroys wins. ALL are at -12 or better. Quick look at wiki, and the average looks like -18 or so. He cant win when it isnt a birdie fest.
Another meaningless McGinley 'stat'. There aren't many tour courses that aren't setup for super low winning scores.

Unless he's suggesting that the only way McIlroy wins at Augusta is if they change long par 4s like the 10th and 11th into par 5s to make to-par scoring easier for him?

Billysboots

Visit site
McIlroy is mentally shot, particularly at Augusta. He always makes multiple bad decisions every round, especially when conditions are testing - I counted at least 10 yesterday, many of which should have been prevented by his caddie (obviously wrong shot/club selection), and a couple which were just amateurish.

And throw his putting into the mix. From around 6-10 feet he just isn’t good enough. At 11 last night, having dunked his approach in the water, he then knocked it to about that distance and missed the putt for bogey. It’s been a hallmark of his game for far too long.

You don’t win Majors putting like that.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Has Harry or Scott Carson lived the dream more? 🤣

From memory, Rory has said he doesn't want a caddy to debate with him, a la Speith, Thomas and others. Having his mate on the bag keeps him relaxed, keeps him happy, his view. If that ultimately costs him majors, it's his decision. Maybe he wins more this way, we are not likely to ever know otherwise.

He can relax when he's buggering about with him at home. Business is business surely.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He can relax when he's buggering about with him at home. Business is business surely.

I think if Rory won a major this year he could argue that he wants x y and z

The fact he hasn't doesn't really prove his methods to be the best to get the best of of him

It's like at school nobody wants a harsh teacher until you look back and realise you learnt the most via their methods because you worked harder to prove you could do it.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think if Rory won a major this year he could argue that he wants x y and z

The fact he hasn't doesn't really prove his methods to be the best to get the best of of him

It's like at school nobody wants a harsh teacher until you look back and realise you learnt the most via their methods because you worked harder to prove you could do it.
Yeah. Diamond became his caddie in 2017, so that is 7 years with no Major with him on the bag.

Apparently he fell out with JP Fitzgerald after he gave him a ticking off on the course, despite improving in that tournament after the ticking off.

I think most people need people to challenge us from time to time. But, it seems McIlroy doesn't like that, and happy to have a Yes Man on the bag.

Fair enough, if that is what makes him happier then can't say he is wrong. But once his career is over, I wonder if he'd ever think "what if"? In a tournament you hit about 270+ shots, sometimes it is bound to help having someone challenge a decision you are about to make

Billysboots

Visit site
This should also be in the golf irritations thread, but my lovely wife has just told me that she has invited her entire family round for a get together, with drinks and a buffet. And when does this shindig take place?

It starts at 5pm tomorrow. So no Masters for me, then.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah. Diamond became his caddie in 2017, so that is 7 years with no Major with him on the bag.

Apparently he fell out with JP Fitzgerald after he gave him a ticking off on the course, despite improving in that tournament after the ticking off.

I think most people need people to challenge us from time to time. But, it seems McIlroy doesn't like that, and happy to have a Yes Man on the bag.

Fair enough, if that is what makes him happier then can't say he is wrong. But once his career is over, I wonder if he'd ever think "what if"? In a tournament you hit about 270+ shots, sometimes it is bound to help having someone challenge a decision you are about to make

I remember hearing a story from seves caddy about deliberately giving him the wrong yardage on the hole so he wouldnt try and reach with say a 4 iron and instead going for a smooth 5 (or whatever it was)

And after he told him (seve had won then) he wasn't happy about it lol

But he did the right thing taking the risk out of the shot

Sometimes i don't think people are best placed to pick what's best for them. Sure be chilled on the course but for example Rory plays best in the Ryder cup, he is unstoppable almost..plays with a lot of fire and being pushed there

Maybe he needs a push from someone on the bag.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
This should also be in the golf irritations thread, but my lovely wife has just told me that she has invited her entire family round for a get together, with drinks and a buffet. And when does this shindig take place?

“Her” family.

Not your problem. Apologise for the golf being on the television and crack on. (y) :ROFLMAO:

C7usk

Visit site

That's just wrong... Lol.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
And throw his putting into the mix. From around 6-10 feet he just isn’t good enough. At 11 last night, having dunked his approach in the water, he then knocked it to about that distance and missed the putt for bogey. It’s been a hallmark of his game for far too long.

You don’t win Majors putting like that.
In the first round he gained shots on the field with putting. What did he do in round 2?

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site

Well, if Harry and Rory split, I reckon there’ll be a load of players looking to take Harry on.

Billysboots

Visit site
In the first round he gained shots on the field with putting. What did he do in round 2?

You obviously already know, or you wouldn’t be asking the question.

Whether he loses or gains strokes on the rest of the field with his putter, he misses way too many from within a dozen feet.