Urgent Holiday Advice Needed

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is my turn to arrange the annual holiday, I am due to be leaving on 12th September and I have no idea where to go. Looking for sunshine, good food and peace and quiet. Due to the time of year, usual options like the Caribbean are out due to hurricane season and I do not know any of the short haul resorts well enough to pick a decent place.

If I do not book something this weekend then my wife is going to book herself a holiday without me so any suggestions.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cyprus, or The outskirts of Ayia Napa to be precise. The edge of the town has some great beaches, scenery and there are rows upon rows of reasonably priced decent restaurants.
Failing that, somewhere quiet like corsica/sardinia would be great also, One area I would love to visit.

boggybop

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can definatley vouch for the Ayia Napa area, as well as the surrounding area of Protaras. Also Cyprus boasts some reasonably priced Scuba Diving which is always a bonus.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Can definatley vouch for the Ayia Napa area, as well as the surrounding area of Protaras. Also Cyprus boasts some reasonably priced Scuba Diving which is always a bonus.

Yup I did the scuba diving myself, Im not a sun worshipper and to be active on holiday.

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Try Turkey mate. Gauranteed sun,good cheap food etc. Some good courses over too there if you pick the right area.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK, the situation is worse now. Thought about going back to Northern Cyprus, quiet, sunny, perfect. Booked the holiday, paid for it then travel company inform that made mistake and not rooms available in the whole of Northern Cyprus (some festival or other).

Looked at Corsica and Sardinia but damned expensive. Now looking at Turkey as sunny and out of Euro Zone. Anyone know any quiet resorts. Do not need anything more than a nice beach/pool. a few bars and a couple of decent restaurants. Want to be as far away from clubs etc as possible.

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
OK, the situation is worse now. Thought about going back to Northern Cyprus, quiet, sunny, perfect. Booked the holiday, paid for it then travel company inform that made mistake and not rooms available in the whole of Northern Cyprus (some festival or other).

Looked at Corsica and Sardinia but damned expensive. Now looking at Turkey as sunny and out of Euro Zone. Anyone know any quiet resorts. Do not need anything more than a nice beach/pool. a few bars and a couple of decent restaurants. Want to be as far away from clubs etc as possible.

Have a look at Turgutreis,mate. I haven't been personally but have heard it is 1 of the more quieter resorts.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all of the advice, considered getting a flight to San Fransisco then driving round the area but the finances would not quite stretch to it this year so that is a good option for 2010.

I am now going to Malta. Never been there, heard it should still be sunny and it pretty quiet with good food. Only down side is that it is in the Euro zone but cannot get everything you want. Will report back on how I find it.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not been to Malta for years (grey funnel lines) but it is a prospect.

There are some lovely spots, maybe a trip over to Gozo for the Blue Lagoon?

Driving <u>used</u> to be exciting then. Bus drivers sat to one side of the wheel as 'god was in the driving seat', nerve racking when met on a narrow road. Priests were a law unto themselves - <u>never</u> looked before crossing as you were always going to be in the wrong.
Do not try to take a shortcut back to the road if you make a wrong turn. You could end up as I did, going down four flights of church steps (actually I tried turning round on the flat bit outside the church and going back up but it didn't work - the priest applauded the effort though!)

There used to be a restaurant in an old airliner (Convair I think) on the road from Luqa airport. It had been arrested at Malta when gun running to Israel.

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
Best holiday i have had in living memory was Egypt.
Great hotels, good food and quite inexpensive with plenty of great sight seeing. I started in Cairo, then onto Aswan, back up to Luxor (the best bit in opinion)on a river boat, then over to the Red Sea for a few nights and back up to Cairo for a night before coming home. Saw most stuff like the Pyramids, Vally of the Kings. All Hotels were 5 star.
If i go back i will probably just stay in Luxor next time and do some excursions from there.

B

birdieman

The Mrs and me really enjoyed Tuscany, Italy. Wonderfully peaceful and unspoilt, food was good, local Chianti in abundance.
Florence was great for culture and Siena was pretty good too each a half hour drive away. The country roads are great, really scenic.
We got a flught, self catering farmhouse apt plus car deal which worked out great staying at ths place - http://www.romitoriodiserelle.it/