Upgrading Irons

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sitting here bored to death at work as my mind wanders around the different thoughts that are being provoked by the 'net one had just popped into my head. Is it actually worth purchasing new irons? I've upgraded earlier this year from Cleveland CG16, which were great, to Cleveland 588CB which I also thing are great. Previous to that I had CG Red, which were also great. What's the difference? Nowt. Honestly.....nowt. Using the CG reds I came down from 16 to 13. Then using the CG16's hovvered at 13 for 3-4 years now with the 588's (although not playing comps and using a different course), have not noticed any significant improvement. Now these upgrades have cost me virtually nowt as I buy and sell clubs on e bay so there's not real loss to my finances. The only thing I've got from these upgrades is the thrill of getting "new" clubs. I've still got some Macgregor's (must be 20 years old) as well. I'll bet I could play just as good/bad with these.

I think we're getting conned.

D

Deleted member 16999

You might be if you’re not trying other brands. ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i have just got myself a set on MP57 clubs which are at least 10 or so years old, lovely looking and forgiving as hell. Ive tried quite a few irons over the last couple of years and all still go about the same distance except the stronger lofted versions. Main thing i found is the shafts are way better now with more options than 10 years ago. if i can get a set of KBS ctaper 120 in stiff for the 57 these will be my new(old) clubs for the bag;)

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting as I currently play Cleveland CG16, which I've had since new. I've had them about 7-8 years. I too am thinking of a change, but I will buy new and get fitted.
Getting fitted should make a difference with the right shaft. Dispersion and possibly distance should be greater. I plan to thoroughly research and try like for like against mine.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Sitting here bored to death at work as my mind wanders around the different thoughts that are being provoked by the 'net one had just popped into my head. Is it actually worth purchasing new irons? I've upgraded earlier this year from Cleveland CG16, which were great, to Cleveland 588CB which I also thing are great. Previous to that I had CG Red, which were also great. What's the difference? Nowt. Honestly.....nowt. Using the CG reds I came down from 16 to 13. Then using the CG16's hovvered at 13 for 3-4 years now with the 588's (although not playing comps and using a different course), have not noticed any significant improvement. Now these upgrades have cost me virtually nowt as I buy and sell clubs on e bay so there's not real loss to my finances. The only thing I've got from these upgrades is the thrill of getting "new" clubs. I've still got some Macgregor's (must be 20 years old) as well. I'll bet I could play just as good/bad with these.

Nope, simple fact is your golf isn't getting any better.

We could change clubs every 2 weeks and our handicap wouldn't improve unless we improve. To suggest that new clubs is the way to improve is ludicrous.

Wolf

Visit site
New clubs no matter what the MOI or tech in them has does not equate to better golf.

New fitted clubs can ensure you have the best tools possible to hand to aid you getting better with practise but end of the day it's still the guy at the end of them that has to make them work.

I think a good question is, is it worth buying the latest releases at high prices when you can get say last year's model brand new for half the price. Still shiny new kit to the end user but a hell of a lot less cost. That's what I've done in the last month and with a fitting it all totalled up at less than half of this years version.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I was fitted for my current irons, only set I've ever been fitted for, this season is the best and most consistent golf I've ever played.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Wait, save up and get a nice shiny new set fit to your dimensions and swing.

Then you will surely wonder less in the future if a new set of clubs will be worth it.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was using the 588CBs until earlier in the season. Lovely clubs, with great feel off of the club face. I only changed because I won a fitting and a set of Pings on here. Have my scores improved? Not so far, but there is no doubt that the Pings are considerably longer and more forgiving and it’s taken me a while to get used to them - they are aimed at high handicappers like me.

If you are happy with the Clevelands then I would stick with them.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst there will be aspects of a clubs fit to you (mainly the shafts) the fundamental is that providing you have the right type of club head for your game you aren't going to get miracles.
Outside of SGI, GI or players heads you are only playing at the edges and focusing on aesthetics.
As to the move to players - if you can't use the added capability it will work against you!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd definitely suggest given some of the new (or recent) models a go so you can get a feel for how the Clevelands stand up against the competition. I agree that your golf seems to be improving over time which is helping but unless you test (perhaps on a monitor) you'll never know if you/we are being conned as consumers

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nope, simple fact is your golf isn't getting any better.

We could change clubs every 2 weeks and our handicap wouldn't improve unless we improve. To suggest that new clubs is the way to improve is ludicrous.

Whilst agree for the most part, I got new clubs and they made a huge difference to me. As a relative beginner maybe I notice it more.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Whilst agree for the most part, I got new clubs and they made a huge difference to me. As a relative beginner maybe I notice it more.

As a beginner, the more you play the more you will see improvement. You will improve then possibly "stagnate" for a while till you consolidate then you start to see improvement again in line with your natural ability.

Also, if coming from "older" equipment modern clubs will offer greater forgiveness.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a beginner, the more you play the more you will see improvement. You will improve then possibly "stagnate" for a while till you consolidate then you start to see improvement again in line with your natural ability.

Also, if coming from "older" equipment modern clubs will offer greater forgiveness.

I went from Taylormade SLDR’s to Mizuno jpx800’s. It was the feel of the club and how my swing felt much better that happened immediately. There wasn’t a change in swing due to beginnerness at the time or anything else that explained it. I still hooked it into the trees a lot but it felt better doing it 😂 Id say the new clubs also gave me confidence and supplemented other improvements that came after that also.

Should also say that the change from a set of Slazenger’s to the TM’s prior to this did not help at all.

So I think under the right circumstances, and at the right time, a club change can be beneficial.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The r&a spend a lot of time and effort trying to make sure that we can't buy a game.
Equipment companies spend a lot of money trying to persuade us that we can.
The new grips on a fresh set probably make as much difference as anything else.

In all honesty, if you look at all of the shots you dropped on your last round, how many of them would have been saved by a few 100rpm of spin or a slightly higher/lower launch?