Unhappy Hooker

upanddown

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone got quick tips for curing a ridiculous hook when using the driver.
My irons were outstanding this evening, was 11 over with 5 penalty shots even though every single time I took driver I hit it wildly left and not very long.

It is so frustrating, as I have recently been effortlessly hitting down the middle for the past month without a thought.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone got quick tips for curing a ridiculous hook when using the driver.
My irons were outstanding this evening, was 11 over with 5 penalty shots even though every single time I took driver I hit it wildly left and not very long.

It is so frustrating, as I have recently been effortlessly hitting down the middle for the past month without a thought.

Repeat after me - effortlessly.

Pericles

Visit site
If you're hooking, then you are either approaching the ball from too far inside (underplane) or/and flipping your hands. Try to feel that the club exits low and left, and hold on more firmly with the last 3 fingers of your left hand (assuming you're a right hander).

There's a lot of good anti-hook info on Brian Manzella's site (he's David Toms' coach) and he has a video you can download ($14 or so) called 'Never Hook again'. It's an hour long, and brilliant.

jamstorr86

Club Champion
Visit site
I was suffering the same.

To takle the issues I wrote a lit of possible causes and worked through them, only changing one thing at a time until I found the issue.

For me, it was all to do with my left hand. When gripping my driver with my LH, I was gripping too far rotated to the right. this meant when I swang through, the club was closing causing hook or a duff.

I followed these rules;
. You should only be able to see one knuckle on your left hand.
. LH should grip the club tighter than the right
. RH should thumb should cover the entire left thumb

when you first start swinging,it will feel awkward. You are forced to lift the club wider and straighter during the backswing. this is because you are now unable to collapse the Left arm as much.

At first, doing this may cause a slice. If this happens, simply rotate the LH a bit to the Right, and so forth.

I hope this helps.

James

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tell you something. If you had a go with a Leadbetter training grip, I'd say it'd be impossible to hook... :)

Check your grip. Especially the right hand i.m.o.