Undercoat

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Quickie for the decorators on here.

My Mrs has changed her mind about my painting the timber skirting, was gloss - now probably a silk finish emulsion.

But I have already done an undercoat using Dulux Professional Undercoat. On the tin it says that this undercoat is perfect for gloss, it makes no mention of whether I can apply a silk top coat on it. The finish of the undercoat feels (to touch) very grippy and not at all ‘glossy’ and feels just fine for whatever top coat I wish to apply…but is it?

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is the undercoat an oil based paint or water based paint?
You can now get both types of gloss/undercoat and you cant mix them. The advantage of the water based top coat is it yellows slower and less than the new mixes of oil based top coats.
I'm no decorater, but that much I do know....and yes, why are you using emulsion on wood?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Satin can be either water or oil based. You need to check but AFAIR most are water based these days, If the VOC content is low then its probably water based.

As BM states above, you need to check the basecoat type. It it's for oil based top coat you can't use water based or it won't adhere properly and you'll get runs and cracks.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Actually it’s satinwood she’s wanting…I might have confused that with a silk emulsion…. Is satinwood oil based. If so then satinwood top coat on the Dulux Professional Undercoat will work.

if you buy the dulux trade one then yes its oil based and yes it works on the undercoat (we used both in the last house on the woodwork)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
if you buy the dulux trade one then yes its oil based and yes it works on the undercoat (we used both in the last house on the woodwork)
The Dulux satinwood I have is for wood and metal; has high VOC, and requires a brush cleaner (as opposed to water) to clean the brushes. I’m thinking this will be oil-based and so perfect with the Dulux Pro Undercoat.

BTW I am asking this - not because I haven’t got a clue (though my ‘clue’ is suspect to pangs of uncertainty), but because I had a recent clash of undercoat and topcoat when painting a table top and had to strip it back to the wood and start again. And I can’t recall what I had done to create the clash.

And so rather than risk another mess I thought - sod it - don’t care if it’s basic decorating stuff I probably should know - I am going to just ask.??

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The Dulux satinwood I have is for wood and metal; has high VOC, and requires a brush cleaner (as opposed to water) to clean the brushes. I’m thinking this will be oil-based and so perfect with the Dulux Pro Undercoat.

BTW I am asking this - not because I haven’t got a clue (though my ‘clue’ is suspect to pangs of uncertainty), but because I had a recent clash of undercoat and topcoat when painting a table top and had to strip it back to the wood and start again. And I can’t recall what I had done to create the clash.

And so rather than risk another mess I thought - sod it - don’t care if it’s basic decorating stuff I probably should know - I am going to just ask.??

should be fine, could always do a small patch test to make sure