Tyres, wheel nuts and the AA

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Just a wee tip for all you guys who are motoring all over the place. First of all, if you’ve got one of those stupid special keys on the fifth wheel nut, get it of and fit a standard nut. I had a puncture yesterday and the key was jumping off the nut. Out come the AA, you need to join, and I continually hit the end of the socket while the AA man, who turned up in 20 mins, gradually eases off the nut. Eventually it came off and the first job I done today was get every one of them replaced. Every key nut had to be battered off.

So, check your spare the next time your at the garage, join the AA, get rid of the fancy fifth key nut, grease the nuts before you fit them and if you have a slow puncture get it seen to right away………it will let you down.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure I'm going to agree with you on this one.
I put a set of alloys on one of my cars, couldn't fit the existing single locking wheel nut and found my wheels gone one day. :(

A better idea is to remove the locking nut every now and again, use a little copper grease, check the fit and put the key somewhere safe (hidden) in the car.

It's a good reminder though, a little maintenance or "plan" is well worth it. I take my wheels off once a year anyway to clean the inside of the alloys with wonder wheels....great stuff. As my mechanic said "don't murder them when you tighten them up" and beware of drive-in tyre places that use air tools to tighten them on. After a new tyre, I'll check the nuts within a week, normally to loosen them, not tighten! :D

Bad luck.....sounds like a trial.....poor you.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
It's something we all take for granted these days.

Cars are so reliable nowadays that there's hardly any reason to lift the bonnet.
I usually check out my levels etc after the weekly wash. Usually the only thing I need to do is top up the screen wash every now and then.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wheel nuts are <u>supposed</u> to be tightened with a torque, which is (normally) calculated for a dry fit. Greasing the studs/nuts will multiply the actual torque by a significant amount - 20 to 30%. Consequently greasing wheel nuts, especially with alloys, can be a bad, bad idea.

Check the manual, otherwise assume a dry fit, and clean the threads of stud and nut.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
I will not disagree, the wheels nuts were semi corroded, powder dry. Now if your thoughts are right, and I dont doubt your engineering background, how come I got the key nuts off no bother myself after them being greased.

I think the main problem was the length of time these wheels nuts were on, the tyres are soon to be changed, and the fact that very little purchase can be got with this particular key nut adapter without it jumping off.

Oh, getting off the standard nuts was bad enough.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have had similar problems with the security nuts on my Merc.

I too have replaced them with standard ones after I broke the key getting them off, and had to buy another one.

That said, I don't have to worry about anyone stealing my wheels, as I have never seen any alloys in worse nick than mine.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
I have had similar problems with the security nuts on my Merc.

I too have replaced them with standard ones after I broke the key getting them off, and had to buy another one.

That said, I don't have to worry about anyone stealing my wheels, as I have never seen any alloys in worse nick than mine.

The way I see it, if someone wants to take the wheels, they will, with or without the security nuts.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
The way I see it, if someone wants to take the wheels, they will, with or without the security nuts.

Yes, like all things sadly, but it's probably fair to say that the opportunist will go for the wheels without.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just batter mine with a mallet!

090809Lumix001.jpg