Twisted Stone (ex Tradition’s) Golf Club

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I know this course wasn’t ever going to win any awards and wasn’t the greatest of tracks however sadly it looks like it’s another course that has bitten the dust.

Took the dog for a walk there last night and there is a pretty permanent looking fence line that’s been put up which means only 4 holes or so are in play. The far side of the fence has had heavy machinery all over it so am assuming it’s been sold for housing.

sunshine

Visit site
So it used to be called Traditions? What a terrible name, that's not going to attract people. Then to make it worse it was renamed Twisted Stone? And the management wonder why it went bust...

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I know this course wasn’t ever going to win any awards and wasn’t the greatest of tracks however sadly it looks like it’s another course that has bitten the dust.

Took the dog for a walk there last night and there is a pretty permanent looking fence line that’s been put up which means only 4 holes or so are in play. The far side of the fence has had heavy machinery all over it so am assuming it’s been sold for housing.

That's happening all over America. Far more courses are closing than new courses are opening.
Property is worth too much for house lots to be used for golf courses.
The game is frightfully expensive for people with mortgages and kids in expensive schools--plus we have no NHS and medical insurance costs a fortune.
Golf in America is becoming a game for the wealthy, unfortunately.

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
This was one of the first courses i played and used to go there regularly about 10-15 years ago as it was pretty cheap and was on the 2 fore 1 deals, so had a bit of a soft spot for it.

Crown golf stopped putting money in to it, then sold it (probably related) then i think it has been through a couple of owners since, i went and played there in the summer for old times sake, and it was in the worst condition i had ever seen a golf course, it was ablsolutly terrible! everything was overgrown, except the greens and fairways which bare or weed ridden.

No surprise it has finally closed!

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i went and played there in the summer for old times sake, and it was in the worst condition i had ever seen a golf course, it was ablsolutly terrible! everything was overgrown, except the greens and fairways which bare or weed ridden.

The course never recovered from the summer we had the year before last, their irrigation broke and the fairways got practically no water for the entire period. They lost almost all the grass which is why it went from being in okay shape to horrendous and there just weren’t the funds to get it back to a playable state. Unfortunately, given the area they’re in there are plenty of other options and that was the final nail in the coffin.

OLgolfer

Visit site
This course will not be missed and frankly the land is much better used for housing than a golf course. Played here a few times when it was traditions and it was just terrible

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This course will not be missed and frankly the land is much better used for housing than a golf course. Played here a few times when it was traditions and it was just terrible
Totally agree. Never been a fan of its neighbour Pyrford as I find it short (especially in the summer) and fiddly but that is just personal preference. With Hoebridge or Silvermere both adjacent for the newer golfer as pay and plays, and a host of members clubs locally as well it was always in a funny niche. I just never warmed to Traditions or its later incarnation.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Totally agree. Never been a fan of its neighbour Pyrford as I find it short (especially in the summer) and fiddly but that is just personal preference. With Hoebridge or Silvermere both adjacent for the newer golfer as pay and plays, and a host of members clubs locally as well it was always in a funny niche. I just never warmed to Traditions or its later incarnation.
I dislike Pyrford GC intensely, more akin to a crazy golf course in the summer and not much better in the winter.