Turnberry before trump

HPIMG

Visit site
I was playing today and got talking to a guy about favourite golf courses and he was saying turnberry was his favourite and he was saying apparently trump put 200 million into fixing it. I asked the guy what trunberry was like before trump bought it but he didn’t know.
So thought I would ask on the forum ?Anyone played it before and after trump what was the big improvement or did he make the course worse ?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've not played it but know a few people who have including a member.
General opinion is that he has made a really good course a bit better.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played it after, not before. The impression I got was that he upgraded the hotel, did something around the lighthouse hole (which is fabulous).

I can see a hotel upgrade costing those sums, not necessarily the course.

It's a fabulous course, but it clearly was before anyway. Tinkering rather than an overhaul was the vibe I got regarding the course.

It's a great question, interested to follow this.

3 jabber

Visit site
A couple of holes around the lighthouse and towards the end of the back 9 were changed/rerouted but no way did it cost 200 mil.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I played there in 90s and again a couple of years ago

In addition to the rerouting and new holes, the condition of the course and buildings is now miles better. I remember Golf Monthly running a big article about the changes.

I didn't stay in the hotel the first time, but did the second. It was very impressive.

I'm no quantity surveyor, but I would expect the bill to have been expensive. 🤣

Separate the property from the owner and the narrative would be quite different. (Possibly!😉)

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Trump claimed it was £200mil

But it’s supposed to be about £1-2mil on the course

The hotel manager a few years back said thay £140mil was invested already but that included the money spent on buying the hotel

And then was further £60mil spent planned at some point

But it’s not the first time Trump will have told a few porkies on money spent

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The previous owners made a right mucking fuddle of the additional 9 hole and Carrick/RtB course changes [IMO of course]
The Ailsa course was great but nothing like as good as it is now.
Everywhere is much smarter and things like the parking, walk to and cafe at the lighthouse are fantastic to us locals.
Previously you always felt like you were trespassing now you feel like you are welcome.
Increased greenstaff levels and top of the range course equipment and furniture also installed by Trump.
The maintenance of the course is by far the best I have seen

My best three courses pre Trump were Muirfield Sunningdale, Ailsa.
I would now rate Trumps Ailsa No 1.
Sadly not played it but have caddied for my daughter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Val

GolfandGuitars

Visit site
I was on holiday in that area last month and paid Turnberry a visit. Walked the dog (kept on lead) down the lighthouse path from the car park,and the two courses down there looked fantastic. Then went down the beach and watched group after group of 4 balls (it was non stop) playing a par 3. The Ailsa course looked something else. Only wish I could afford to play there.

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Trump claimed it was £200mil

But it’s supposed to be about £1-2mil on the course

The hotel manager a few years back said thay £140mil was invested already but that included the money spent on buying the hotel

And then was further £60mil spent planned at some point

But it’s not the first time Trump will have told a few porkies on money spent
Just couldn’t help yourself, could ya🤷‍♂️

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Trump took a great course and made it even greater.

I can't wait to see what the course will look like next year after they close it for a few months.

4LEX

Visit site
Trump took a great course and made it even greater.

I can't wait to see what the course will look like next year after they close it for a few months.

He only spent £1-2m according to Arthur Wedge.

That's right, doing major and skilled landscaping works in a remote location, on a world class golf course, involving the best course designer - only cost the same amount as building a couple of large detached houses :LOL:

sunshine

Visit site
He only spent £1-2m according to Arthur Wedge.

That's right, doing major and skilled landscaping works in a remote location, on a world class golf course, involving the best course designer - only cost the same amount as building a couple of large detached houses :LOL:

All you need is a lawnmower to mow out new fairways and greens 🤣

I think they completely reconstructed / moved half of the greens.