Turn vs Slide

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Simple question today for the in house experts, specifically with relation to the downswing and weight shift.

We all agree that moving the weight forward to start the downswing is a key part of making solid contact and staying on plane.

The queston:

What is considered the correct way to start the weight transfer at the begining of the downswing?

Slide or rotate?

Does it matter?

Does one suit one kind of player, that the other wouldn't?

Does flexability play a factor?

Over to you guys.

G

guest100718

Simple question today for the in house experts, specifically with relation to the downswing and weight shift.

We all agree that moving the weight forward to start the downswing is a key part of making solid contact and staying on plane.

The queston:

What is considered the correct way to start the weight transfer at the begining of the downswing?

Slide or rotate?

Does it matter?

Does one suit one kind of player, that the other wouldn't?

Does flexability play a factor?

Over to you guys.

Lateral slide is something that plagues me. Take a front on look at the PGA guys and see how centred they are.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
No expert BUT my coach (who is) suggests it's lateral (left hip bump) then rotate - so almost as if the left hip has an l-shaped movement from the top. So towards target first then rotatation - the latter happens naturally somewhat with the momentum of the swing. I think rotation first puts the right hip where the arms need to be?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
No expert BUT my coach (who is) suggests it's lateral (left hip bump) then rotate - so almost as if the left hip has an l-shaped movement from the top. So towards target first then rotatation - the latter happens naturally somewhat with the momentum of the swing. I think rotation first puts the right hip where the arms need to be?

The way I'm starting to understand it Amanda is that if I slide my weight forward and allow my hips to clear, I run short of space.

If I rotate my weight forward, not staying on my right foot but turining on to my left side, the club falls in front of me, instead of my right elbow running short of space and into my right side.

Hence my question.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Turn not slide for me. Big achilles heel for me is due to lack of trust of my left knee rather than rotating over it I tend to get a bit too much lateral slide and not enough turn. Not such a problem with a short iron but the longer the clubs get the more it becomes an issue, weight too far ahead and body shut off leads to the shot being smothered and can often find yourself struggling to square the clubface leading to the inevitable overuse of the hands and flipping of the clubface to try and compensate

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was fine on Monday, was only a few aches Sunday tbh. Certainly highlighted my lack of flexibility and core strength, something I intend working on over the winter

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Looking at it another way.

If you make a move off the ball in the take away and backswing you, effectivley, have to make that some move forward, and more to get back to the ball and make good contact(?).

What if you don't make a big move off the ball? I stay pretty centred over the ball in my back swing and I have only move fractionally off the ball when I've reached the top of my back swing.

If in my situation I were to slide instead of turn, I would, effectively, be moving the ball back(?).

The way I see it, with me not making a big movement off the ball, I have no need to slide my weight left. I can effectively move my weight by turning onto my left hand side.

Does that make sense?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^
^
Depends how much spine tilt you have at address (basically what your upper body is doing when you DON'T move off the ball).

You must have some secondary axis tilt (spine tilt away from the target) at impact to shallow out the swing and to stop early release/flipping. So you have to create at least SOME.

The answer to the question is that you have BOTH but only the amount you need to get to the impact positon, someone with a high arm swing plane would need less slide and more turn, someone who is flatter would need more slide, it's a blend. Some have 2 inches of hip slide and some have 6, they all have rotation. Understanding the direction of the slide is important because it's NOT sideways, it's a little bit back to your left because it's BLENDING with your turn.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Understanding the direction of the slide is important because it's NOT sideways, it's a little bit back to your left because it's BLENDING with your turn.

Would that mean you're effectivley moving your weight left and behind you (... With the left hip clearing)?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Would that mean you're effectivley moving your weight left and behind you (... With the left hip clearing)?

Yes.

If you consider someone with early extension their hips effectively thrust forwards towards the ball so the left hip is never going to clear, it doesn't matter that they then rotate, their left hip never cleared so often their weight is actually moving towards the ball (and some even step forwards after the strike).

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes.

If you consider someone with early extension their hips effectively thrust forwards towards the ball so the left hip is never going to clear, it doesn't matter that they then rotate, their left hip never cleared so often their weight is actually moving towards the ball (and some even step forwards after the strike).

Gotcha :thup: