Trying to understand how Course Rating/slope index will work when in Competition at other Clubs

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OK, so what I can't get my head around is...….
We have 2 players from different Clubs, with the same H/cap Index but one has been gained at a far more difficult course with an appropriately higher Rating..... so, with all things equal, he is the better player.
So when they compete in a Competition at another Club how is their Playing H/cap worked out, as they should not be off the same H/cap due to one being a stronger player than the other. Or am I misunderstanding something??

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have 2 players from different Clubs, with the same H/cap Index but one has been gained at a far more difficult course with an appropriately higher Rating..... so, with all things equal, he is the better player.
So when they compete in a Competition at another Club how is their Playing H/cap worked out, as they should not be off the same H/cap due to one being a stronger player than the other. Or am I misunderstanding something??

The bold bit isn't valid.

Handicap index is an output from the variables and is designed to be the constant.

When each plays their own course the one playing the tougher one may have a higher playing handicap - but when they are playing the same course, from the same tees, they will have the same.

In reality players with handicaps based on much tougher courses (length, line and greens) will still have the edge (IMO) as theybdo currently because they will have less options to score well on their course through specific attributes.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Until all courses in England have been given a Course Rating and Slope we must continue with the CONGU SSS. The basis of this is that players carry their handicap with them wherever they play. There is at present no method of 'equalising' differences in handicaps for players playing exclusively on difficult or easy courses.
This will come when playing handicaps are adjusted depending on the course rating and slope of the course/tees being played.
It is a precursor to the WHS but was originally introduced as an improvement to CONGU on its own merits

User20204

Visit site
It's interesting as I've fairly recently moved to a much longer course than my previous one, however, for the life of me I couldn't score round my previous due to, I believe, being much tighter (it probably isn't but is/was my perception) Now my current course, being much longer and generally seen as a fair bit harder, I can score often quite well.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Until all courses in England have been given a Course Rating and Slope we must continue with the CONGU SSS. The basis of this is that players carry their handicap with them wherever they play. There is at present no method of 'equalising' differences in handicaps for players playing exclusively on difficult or easy courses.
This will come when playing handicaps are adjusted depending on the course rating and slope of the course/tees being played.
It is a precursor to the WHS but was originally introduced as an improvement to CONGU on its own merits
Yeah, I'm OK with all this, just trying to prepare for & understand how it'll all going to work & others are asking me the same