Travelling with Golf Clubs

Visit site
Hi,

I want to take my golf clubs with me abroad. This will include my ping cart bag.

As good golf travel bags are very expensive I am going to DIY packaging.

I plan to use golf bag tubes to give more support and protection from side impact then use a 'stiff arm' protector for any impact from top. Each club head will be taped in bubble rap. More bubble rap will be rapped around the shafts of any clubs exposed from the bag. The rain hood will be put on. Bubble rap will then taped around the entire bag. Once all the protection is in place the clubs will be put in a golf club postage box and taped at the seems.

I am aware that customs may wish to open the bag so will empty all pockets to remove anything that may look strange on the scanners.

I would love to see what other peoples ideas or experiences are with packing golf clubs for air travel.

Look forward to reading your replies

Jonathan =]

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi,

I want to take my golf clubs with me abroad. This will include my ping cart bag.

As good golf travel bags are very expensive I am going to DIY packaging.

I plan to use golf bag tubes to give more support and protection from side impact then use a 'stiff arm' protector for any impact from top. Each club head will be taped in bubble rap. More bubble rap will be rapped around the shafts of any clubs exposed from the bag. The rain hood will be put on. Bubble rap will then taped around the entire bag. Once all the protection is in place the clubs will be put in a golf club postage box and taped at the seems.

I am aware that customs may wish to open the bag so will empty all pockets to remove anything that may look strange on the scanners.

I would love to see what other peoples ideas or experiences are with packing golf clubs for air travel.

Look forward to reading your replies

Jonathan =]

Seems about as good as possible! :thup:

They'll probably be sent elsewhere, misplaced or stolen now though! :rolleyes:

I never had a problem with several trips with a relatively cheap travel bag, and it was more convenient too! Did get 'misplaced' in LAX en-route to NZ once - even though I could see it at the top of the ramp! Does pay to have a 'stiff-arm' and bubble-wrap the top though, if just for peace of mind!

Enjoy the trip and Golf

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Check with your airline but it may be worth putting some extra luggage in your bag, they seem to charge a standard rate for golf bags so you can 'lose' a bit of weight in there from your main case if need be.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Before I got my travel bag, all I did was tape the rain hood on to my carry bag with brown parcel tape. Six trips to the Algarve, once to Canada and one to the USA. No problems.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have taken numerous trips abroad with my golf clubs and done no more than put them in my cart bag and then put in a travel bag with small padlocks on.
Never had a problem.
Pop your golf shoes in the side pockets to save a bit of room in your "normal" luggage.
What you are planning to do sounds a bit "overkill" to me. Unless you are travelling in a Wellington bomber???

D

Deleted Member 1156

I just had a quick look on the bay, you can get a half decent travel bag for around £25 buy it now or if you bid on one might get an even better bargain. If you are planning to make any more trips in the future I think it would be money well spent.

Another tip......If you are travelling on a 'non budget' airline, you can usually get away with checking in your clubs as your free hold baggage then travel light using a small wheelie bag as free carry on luggage. Doing that can save you about £30-£50 each way for clubs :thup: