Travelling abroad with airlines

welshjim22

Head Pro
Visit site
I am travelling to Orlando with BA on Saturday and plan to take my golf clubs. I have a Callaway soft cover, didn't want a hard case because of space in rental car. Anyone got any experience of travelling with soft covers especially with BA or good tips for packing.

Thanks

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I would opt for a hard cover as they tend to throw things about simply because some of the handlers are spiteful sods who dont like to see anybody owning something nice. I have seen this a few times.

Also dont pack any balls or anything like that in your bag, they add weight, are cheaper in the states anyway and they are likely to get pinched. Again experience of this.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jim

Make sure you tie your club heads together and pack a towel around them. i always put some cloths in the pockets as well. some people i know put a brush stale in, making sure it's longer than the clubs preventing the club heads from getting a bashing.

Get a lock for your bag or tie the tabs up with some strong cord, take enough for the return journey.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just come back from the caribbean with BA myself.

Ive got a soft cover with wheels etc, my parents got it very cheaply in Florida actually, and its excellent. As said, get some covers for your irons, or wrap them well, and then put some straps around the bag to secure everything as much as poss and you'll be fine.

Basically secure everything as tight as you can, stop things rattling around, and then get a padlock for the 2 zip heads, or tie them very securely.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I use a soft bag and had not problems with mine, the Mizuno ones have straps inside and outside to hold the bag in place and has enough padding to protect a small elephant. I watched a Spanish gent last time I flew who had used brown tape wrapped around his bag many many many and many times and over his club heads, he picked them up in Spain and as far as I could see where fine.

I just bought the Srixon flight cover as I don't need the space the Mizuno has and is a lot smaller, but now I am not so sure which to use as the Mizuno is massive but 100% looks after your clubs and the srixon 80% but more manageable in terms of shifting it about.

In regards to them being thrown about, I don't think I have seen one of the baggage people throw anything as its all done mostly by machines and the wont lift anything over 25kilos.

Mizuno = Massive and great for longer holidays.

Srixon = normal size and good for weekend/week's away.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
In regards to them being thrown about, I don't think I have seen one of the baggage people throw anything as its all done mostly by machines and the wont lift anything over 25kilos.

you've not been to Gatwick or Luton lately then?

most 'handling' might be done by machine but it doesn't get the bags off the trolleys and onto the aircraft loading conveyor (nor off that and into the hold).

saw a <u>lot</u> of gear dropping off the trolleys (to be dragged to the aircraft) and off the conveyor taking them up to the hold.

whatever you get, wrap well, then wrap them again.

welshjim22

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to work at Gatwick north terminal and often saw luggage on the roadside. However it hink this was mainly off the smaller aircraft. The long haul tend to be packed into the large crates.

I have bought a 1.5" bit of plastic piping and have it put in the bag just longer than the driver. I also will pack with towels and some internal straps. The golf bag itself is the Callaway tour bag so should be quite strong and hopefully the padding of the Callaway travel bag will deflect soften most knocks. As for security i have the US TSA locks for the bag.

On the upside i have new for old insurance so if they get buggered on the way back i am not to bothered. I will pack however 12 of my crap balls. If they get nicked no big deal and if not then they will be used for over water shots of which i expect many.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com

you've not been to Gatwick or Luton lately then?

most 'handling' might be done by machine but it doesn't get the bags off the trolleys and onto the aircraft loading conveyor (nor off that and into the hold).

saw a <u>lot</u> of gear dropping off the trolleys (to be dragged to the aircraft) and off the conveyor taking them up to the hold.

whatever you get, wrap well, then wrap them again.

No I fly from Leeds/Bradford and not had a problem, I also have insurance to cover for any problems or damage so I can buy new over there if need be and claim when I get back. As regards to people stealing balls :D how can they be stolen in a sealed locked bag? and if they could get into the bag why just steal balls?

pcowgill

Medal Winner
Visit site
My clubs were fitted for me so I don't want them damaged - period. For this reason I have a hard golf travel bag to afford the clubs maximum protection. I confess I come unstuck with Ryanair who put a ridiculously low weight allowance (and excessively high charge) on golf clubs and my hard bag takes me over the limit. :(

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Be wary of locking the bag.

You'll probably be ok flying from here to Orlando, but flying the other way US security open lots of bags for random checks, and when you check a bag in they insist it is unlocked, otherwise they will just break in.

This is not just a threat either as I have had a golf case broken open by US security many years ago (They leave a nice calling card!), this was before 911.

On my last trip to the US this summer, I just happened to see them open my (unlocked) golf case after I checked in.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
this is what you are supposed to have on your bags when travelling with any airline especially to the US. I don't think it's a legal requirement especially here though a lot of airlines 'suggest' them. you can get them quite easily (homebase, b&q, boots etc).

the theory is that only bona fide security will have the masters . . .

http://shop.packyourbags.com/acatalog/Secure_Travel_Sentry_Lock.html