Travel Golf Cover Cases

Fish

Banned
Visit site
With the amount of travelling I am preparing to do next year and hopefully with the possibility of flying off to some destinations also, I am looking at getting a travel cover/case for my bag & clubs.

What experience does everyone have on these? Some are just padded soft covers and some are hard solid covers with huge price variations!

How do they get handled on flights and is a more robust cover a must!

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
go for a solid one if travelling abroad and get one that can be locked and have additional security fitted(padlock),i had one made by american traveller that i could fit clothes in and my golf shoes etc etc it also had wheels to help pull it around,the soft ones ok if just for going in a car or on a coach but not if out of sight and going abroad.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Whatever you buy, it will get battered about. I've got a couple, the essential thing is to have plenty of padding around the clubheads. I'm wary of hard cases as airlines are becoming more and more stringent on weight and they can be pretty heavy. Excess baggage charges are ridiculous. If you travel to the USA it is pointless locking your clubs, US customs cut off padlocks to inspect the contents ( for security not to check for new gear). Not sure about other countries as the US is the only place I've been on golf holidays for the last few years.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Whatever you buy, it will get battered about. I've got a couple, the essential thing is to have plenty of padding around the clubheads. I'm wary of hard cases as airlines are becoming more and more stringent on weight and they can be pretty heavy. Excess baggage charges are ridiculous. If you travel to the USA it is pointless locking your clubs, US customs cut off padlocks to inspect the contents ( for security not to check for new gear). Not sure about other countries as the US is the only place I've been on golf holidays for the last few years.

100% spot on. Hard cases are a great idea but are heavy and have no give so if It was dropped it may break where as soft ones have some give. Also worth remembering, the heavier the bag the more likely it is to be dropped or thrown down rather than placed. My wife witnessed my clubs getting dropped by the check in agent after I turned my back on him.

I have an ogio soft case, it's very good and I always jam it full of bubble wrap around the heads etc. Never had any issues yet, 4 long haul return trips including connections and its still in good nick all be it a little scuffed now.

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think this would definitely be a time to have covers on all of your clubs... Unless you can get hold of alot of Bubblewrap.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the Cobra travel case. It's a bit of a beast, but it's well padded and soft. There is room down the sides for clothes etc, so I will often pack it with some of my heavier things and clothes to pad it further and even get away with hand luggage only for short trips. Been on several trips and is only slight scuffed on the outside with no damage to clubs. Would recommend.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have a Taylor Made soft padded travel case and in 5 trips it's not been a problem. I do weave a towel in between the club heads and also put the rain hood on to keep them compact.

Be careful of sizes though. My case won't fit a cart bag in, but will easily take my ogio carry bag fully loaded. I bought my wife a sun mountain one, that will take a cart bag but is shorter than my Taylor Made and is quite a tight fit with a driver in the bag.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Club Glove series are very strong and not as bulky or heavy as hard cases. Most of the pros use them, and you can get them in various clubmakers branding if you want.

Not cheap, but will last for years.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Club Golf also do a pole with a mushroom top slightly longer than a driver, their thought is if the case gets dropped on its head it would hit this and not break your driver.

Club golf are a very big brand in the US, their bags are huge and look to be very well mad.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I used a metal pole to protect the driver on my last trip abroad. Can't use it again though as it got bent out of shape. Protected the driver though.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Some great replies with hints on packing out, weaving towels through the clubs and using rain covers, thank you.

As I'm only thinking about around the UK, ROI & possibly Europe I think a good soft one which has padded protection and can be padded out extra inside should suffice.

As I only carry it doesn't need to be large enough for a cart bag so will start looking for something but I have my eye on this which looks to tick all the boxes HERE