Training for a new career

Sharktooth

Head Pro
Chiang Mai, Thailand and anywhere there is H2O
Visit site
Could I ask what you do for a living now, what you did before and how you went about the change (training, finances etc)? Only asking as I am 32 myself and am desperate for a career change but really don't know where to start at the minute!

Underwater Inspection Engineer specializing in ACFM, previous to that an Inspection Diver, previous to that a Commercial Diver... but the big jump was from Production Manager in a print firm. I am self employed and invest in my own future by going through another course each year or two. If you don't you get left behind, but being self employed and some of these courses being £6000+ you gotta knuckle down and get on with it. You make it back very quickly...

SirSliceAlot

Club Champion
Visit site
Underwater Inspection Engineer specializing in ACFM, previous to that an Inspection Diver, previous to that a Commercial Diver... but the big jump was from Production Manager in a print firm. I am self employed and invest in my own future by going through another course each year or two. If you don't you get left behind, but being self employed and some of these courses being £6000+ you gotta knuckle down and get on with it. You make it back very quickly...

Wow that's very interesting as diving was something I was genuinely considering as a career a few years back, as I'm now married with a little one I don't know if the time spent away from home would be an option but it really does appeal as a career. How did you go about starting out and getting your foot in the door? Sorry for all the questions but your situation inspires me a little!!

Sharktooth

Head Pro
Visit site
Wow that's very interesting as diving was something I was genuinely considering as a career a few years back, as I'm now married with a little one I don't know if the time spent away from home would be an option but it really does appeal as a career. How did you go about starting out and getting your foot in the door? Sorry for all the questions but your situation inspires me a little!!

Where do I start??? Put it this way, approximately 80% of baby divers give up a year after qualifying and go back to their old jobs. The initial course teaches you nowt, everything you learn on the job. Took me six months to get my first job after living out a backpack in a scummy lodge in Singapore, emailing, phoning, cold calling EVERY DAY. On top of the diving course you need your annual medical, BOSIET, DMT as an absolute minimum, plus probably 3.1u and 3.2u. I wouldn't like to go through it all again...

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
You can do whatever you like mate, so if you want a change, it's never too late to learn a new skill set. The practicalities and financials of doing so aren't always so easy to negotiate but that's another issue.

Although I was still young, I worked for 3 years straight from sixth form aiming for a career in IT support, didn't get a job that I should have got and then ended up in a finance role.

Anyway, long story short - 7 years later (today) I'm five days away from my exam result for my final sitting, that if I pass, I'm a fully qualified chartered accountant. So go for what you want to do! :cheers:

Sharktooth

Head Pro
Visit site
You can do whatever you like mate, so if you want a change, it's never too late to learn a new skill set. The practicalities and financials of doing so aren't always so easy to negotiate but that's another issue.

Although I was still young, I worked for 3 years straight from sixth form aiming for a career in IT support, didn't get a job that I should have got and then ended up in a finance role.

Anyway, long story short - 7 years later (today) I'm five days away from my exam result for my final sitting, that if I pass, I'm a fully qualified chartered accountant. So go for what you want to do! :cheers:

Don't get me wrong, I know I probably sounded a wee bit negative in my last reply, but that's reality. Good for you in changing your career and all the best with your exams Bristol.

Slicealot if you want anymore details pm me. Don't wanna bore everyone else on here with all the guff I went through...