Trade on past Glories

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have just read the article in this months mag about John Daly. The fall of the wild. An interesting question springs out from the page. "How long can the troubled WIld Thing trade on past glories? Forgive me for missing something here, I know the big man has his problem's and I feel that if sponsors want to invite him let them invite him.

Past Glories?
What about all the old guys who turn up every year to these major's year in year out only to shoot high 80's maybe in the low 90's but they still come back every year. God knows why they do it but they do. Money I'd say.

I'm not old enough to remember Tony Jacklin winning anything, I know he did, but I'd rather go and see John Daly than go and see Jacklin.

I think it's time for the sponsor to off load these old guys and let the new kids on the block try their hand at the major's.

Monty may not make this years Master's. Why? because he is outside the top 50 in the world. I bet there will be some old guy, who may have won it 25 years ago teeing it up and keeping the like's of Monty at home.
Who would you rather go and watch?

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I partly agree Champ. A few years ago they were pairing Jack up with some of these no-hope-old-timers, when in fact, Jack was there with the potential to win. I don't think it did much for his game to be paired with people shooting in the 80s.

I like to see some of them, but I think they should play more of an exibition game, separate from the main event.

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree with you Champ. Madandra has a point about life time exemptions having been earned, but there must come a point when you realise it will be embarrasing/painful to try and play and compete(though apparently not always, hence the post!!). One of the old guys at the Masters I think, turned up to play so his grandkids could watch him - think he shot about 90 both rounds (which is still a good score and would beat me every day on a course like that, but not competetive at that level.)

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats what I mean being competetive, I know they earned the right to play, all those years ag, but surely it's time they rolled over and let the young guns in. I hope Tiger will have to decency to retire and not be showing up 20 years past his sell by date.
What I mean by I'm not old enough to remember Jacklin winning anything, How many people that go to golf championships now adays and are of age to remember old Palmer winning. Hardly many. They have the senior's to play in if they really want to play.

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
I think Tiger will retire when he is not competing, he does not seem the type to flog a dead horse, plus he will have plenty to do in golf after he decides enough is enough of competitive golf.

Daily is old hat really, but people want to see him, some only want to see him self implode though, hell i want to see him as i have always liked him and would love to see him with his life sorted and competing.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
The vast majority of those who persist in turning up when all hope is gone are American. They're the same with 'entertainers', the voice has gone, the jokes were stale when Nelson was a cabin-boy but they will keep on. (Unfortunately that's something else that's been transferred across the pond).
It's all down to psuedo-royalty.
Now if only they had stayed a Colony, they would have no need of it. :rolleyes:

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
These past winners turn up soak up all the nostalgia that goes with being a past champ and walk away on friday night £10-15k better off. You could have something like the Masters par 3 championship for the coughin' ;) dodgers before The Open as this allows the oldies to receive the applause yet let someone who won't make an erse of themselves play in the actual tournament.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd prefer to see some sort of parade for the past champions on the first morning of a major onthe 1st tee and then onto the 18th green so the majority could at least see the heroes of yesteryear.

I agree with the consensus that watching these guys scuttle it 150 yards up the fairway is not conducive to a good viewing experience.

I have nothing against several of them perhaps being allowed a ceremonial drive. For example one guy drives off to signal the tournament is underway, another hits off when the reigning champs groups tees off and then intersperse the others with say the elite groups throughout the day

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like Homers idea of ceremonial drives by past champions who are unable to compete at the top level. It is a lot better than reading that the 1955 champion shot 92 on thursday but was unable to play friday due to an injury.

Augusta is not a course for the unfit brigade.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with the idea of a ceremonial drive off or perhaps an 18 hole competition before or after the main tournament. Can only feel that the Masters would only be improved by giving these places to golfers who could be competitive.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I agree with the idea of a ceremonial drive off or perhaps an 18 hole competition before or after the main tournament. Can only feel that the Masters would only be improved by giving these places to golfers who could be competitive.

FWIW my first feeling on reading the article was one of heartfelt sympathy for man struggling to contain the symptoms of an illness (booze predominantly) and a distaste for the voyeurism that dogs his movements.

I would dearly like to see John Daly perform to his best just once more to a great standard before his peers if for no other reason than it might hold out some hope that such an accord would help him to put whatever daemons of damage or transgression (real or imagined) this man carries on his big shoulders.

I'm impressed that he continues to play despite various elements seeking to benefit from his slow degeneration either vicariously or more directly.

Always a maverick I see him in some small way as a totum for battles of the spirit fought in all our lives and it would be a hard person indeed who didn't stop for a second and see the hurt he wears so clearly on his sleeve.

It could be argued that sport provides a readymade forum for the demonstration of strength from adversity such as with Darren Clarke at the Rider Cup. It may be stretching the point somewhat to draw a comparison here but the moment of victory, cameraderie and pathos implicit in lifting that cup was one that touches the soul.

By neccesity the alignment of variables needed to cultivate such moments are rare and fleeting but then i'm a sucker for a good story and a phoenix-like rise from the fire for Mr. Daly would certainly rate amongst them.

It's a story just begging to we written.

This is a guy floored by things we'll never really know about and the drinking and behaviour that comes with it is a mask. Just the same mask we all wear from time to time isn't it?

I for one wish him well and hope that he gets to grip with this one day but it's clear the tour isn't helping at the moment.

I'm rooting for the John Daly's of this world.. far more than I am for the half ghosts aplenty with so much less on the line.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree with BillyG. I like the fact that Daly always seems to be playing the golfing field, the US Tour Commission, the local state authority of whichever town he is in and the thousands of leeches and hangers on still desparate for their cut of this mans money.

Whilst there is noone to blame but Daly himself for the life and career decisions he has made, the one thing he never seems to do (or very rarely) is let the golfing public down. Even if he is having a bitch of a round he will always try and entertain. This isn't necessarily the correct thing to do in the context of a championship but shows the guy has a heart.

I put him in the iconic wayward soul category. There is an album by Marillion called Clutching at Straws which deals with a guys demise into alcohol and the line from one song "sitting with angels and nursing our scars" seems to sum him up to some degree.

There are other sporting mavericks like Gascgoine, Best, Jimmy White etc who arguably have never really taken their god given talent and really used it fully.

I hope Daly finds some inner peace soon and can recover his game, if not to former glories then to a level that makes him respected as a golfer and not for his sideshow freaky lifestyle.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sadly, I think Daly has passed the point of very little return. Struggling to keep his card is not where I want to see him.
Equally sadly, he may have to keep on playing into the Champions tour just to service his divorces.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Struggling to keep his card? It went west ages ago. He exists on sponsors invitations at most tournaments, because the crowd still want to see one of the great entertainers. It must annoy the heck out of Tim Finchem that he has this guy riding rough shod over the whole idea of needing a 'card'.

Q school, why go there when any tournament will invite you anyway.