Toulon Putters

NoLayingUp

Visit site
I've recently bagged an Odyssey Toulon - Austin putter and wanted to share a little story with you 6 months on of using it out on the course.

I've got to say that I absolutely love it. It's been performing wonderfully for me. The charcoal smoke aesthetics are incredible, the feel is a very distinctive "pock" sound at impact, the balance is phenomenal (which I feel might be to do with the stroke lab shaft). The weight is taken out of the shaft and weights are placed in the sole and the grip of the putter. The CNC milling on the face makes for a great roll. The over-sized grip has a nice feel to it sat in the hands

Overall, the price point is definitely on the expensive end of the spectrum but you really do get a good quality, premium product.

There's a nice little back story to why I bagged this putter too. So I thought i'd share with you guys on here. Watching the November Masters last year (yes I found it odd too). DJ absolutely cruised round and produced a really dominant display. My partner was heavily pregnant at the time and we were struggling to come up with names. She actually came and sat down with me on Masters Sunday in the evening and watched (the first time she's ever watched Golf, normally she hates any golf related talk what so ever!) and we watched DJ stroll up the 18th to putt out for victory. The commentators mentioned about his brother being on the bag for him and how he was so overjoyed and overcome with emotion on the 18th green at his brother winning his first green jacket. When the commentators said his name "Austin" myself and my partner just had a look at each other, and instantly loved the name, needless to say on the 14th December (2 weeks later than planned) she gave birth to our wonderful little boy Austin.

Once I'd seen the Austin (Putter that is) for sale I just knew I had to have it. It was expensive but it will be staying in the bag forever and hopefully I'll be able to hand it down to my little boy in the future to use. I know Francesco Molinari has it in the bag and Kevin Na uses an Toulon flatstick. I'm surprised to not see more Callaway staffers using them.

Do any of you guys have a Toulon and do you have any superstitions or links to your golf equipment such as this? I'd be interested to hear your stories.

Attachments

• od-austin02.jpg
    od-austin02.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 13

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Toulon make nice putters, they are basically a premium brand within the Odyssey range. I like the adjustable weight plate on the sole and the graphite/steel shaft (also available on Odyssey Stroke Lab putters).

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd love the Las Vegas H7! Toulon made lovely putters and when Callaway/Odyssey brought them up a couple of years ago it seems they just made them better!

NoLayingUp

Visit site
Toulon make nice putters, they are basically a premium brand within the Odyssey range. I like the adjustable weight plate on the sole and the graphite/steel shaft (also available on Odyssey Stroke Lab putters).

Totally agree, the balance of them is unbelievably good, clearly some great R&D has gone into them, Sean Toulon clearly knows his stuff after such a long time working in the industry, it's obviously his passion. There's a good article about him in the link attached: https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/features/equipment-features/2020/may/witb---callaways-sean-toulon/

Interesting to note that he also has the Austin in the bag! I didn't know that previously. Have you ever thought of going for one? However, I did notice you have the Cobra 3D printed putter, that's a pretty cool flatstick to have!

NoLayingUp

Visit site
I'd love the Las Vegas H7! Toulon made lovely putters and when Callaway/Odyssey brought them up a couple of years ago it seems they just made them better!

The Las Vegas is a great looking putter! More suited to a Mallet style preference. I'd say it's like the premium version of the Versa 7 and everyone knows how much of a great putter that is! Getting Callaway/Odysseys financial clout on board will no doubt have freed him up to make the best decisions in R&D and maybe afforded him a little more time to come up with the product he dreamed of making.

Have you ever thought about making the splurge and bagging one? Although I suppose you can't go wrong with Bettinardi either, another top brand in the putting game.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally agree, the balance of them is unbelievably good, clearly some great R&D has gone into them, Sean Toulon clearly knows his stuff after such a long time working in the industry, it's obviously his passion. There's a good article about him in the link attached: https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/features/equipment-features/2020/may/witb---callaways-sean-toulon/

Interesting to note that he also has the Austin in the bag! I didn't know that previously. Have you ever thought of going for one? However, I did notice you have the Cobra 3D printed putter, that's a pretty cool flatstick to have!

I rotate through putters like Boris Johnson with women. I tried a Toulon San Diego (like a Newport 2) and liked it but it never captured the permanent place in the bag.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Las Vegas is a great looking putter! More suited to a Mallet style preference. I'd say it's like the premium version of the Versa 7 and everyone knows how much of a great putter that is! Getting Callaway/Odysseys financial clout on board will no doubt have freed him up to make the best decisions in R&D and maybe afforded him a little more time to come up with the product he dreamed of making.

Have you ever thought about making the splurge and bagging one? Although I suppose you can't go wrong with Bettinardi either, another top brand in the putting game.

Yeah I am thinking of getting one, but I don't think I can part with my queen bee

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a putter out there with the same name as my wife, but I haven't bought one because it is hideously ugly, I don't think she'd take it as a compliment. (The Yes! Emma.)

dai3015

Visit site
There is a putter out there with the same name as my wife, but I haven't bought one because it is hideously ugly, I don't think she'd take it as a compliment. (The Yes! Emma.)
Same here! Don't think I'd get away with it either :mad:.
Also don't think I'd get away with any of the other Yes! putters that had the names of previous ex's!!