TopTracer Everywhere

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Two of the ranges local to me have just put them in.
I had fifty balls at one, actually a token I had left from an earlier session. It was fun (I've used one before), apparently the basket prices have doubled though.

Wonder how long before I end up seeking out an old school range.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had fifty balls at one, actually a token I had left from an earlier session. It was fun (I've used one before), apparently the basket prices have doubled though.

One of my local ranges has installed the system in every bay and it is absolutely rammed most evenings and weekends. I was up there at 2.00pm last Saturday and every bay taken and people waiting. I like the system (some useful stuff when working on my game) but the basket prices are getting higher and higher. Fortunately I have a card I top up and so get a discounted rate but still nearly £8 for the biggest basket (120 balls)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of my local ranges has installed the system in every bay and it is absolutely rammed most evenings and weekends. I was up there at 2.00pm last Saturday and every bay taken and people waiting. I like the system (some useful stuff when working on my game) but the basket prices are getting higher and higher. Fortunately I have a card I top up and so get a discounted rate but still nearly £8 for the biggest basket (120 balls)

how does anyone constructively hit 120 balls in a session?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

closest range here went up 25% on all accounts but for what it is was already pricey. £6 for 50 balls or so now

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You need more than the discounted £8!!! 😝

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I use Toptracer at Silvermerevfor £8.40 for 60 balls peak time, or 72 balls off peak.
I also get more money on the card when I load £100 I actually get £140 or £50 gets me £60 credit.

They do a smaller bucket and s larger 120 balls one, but 60/72 is plenty for me. Gives me some warmup shots, a virtual 9 hole game, and when I have some left I go for nearest to the pin and/or longest drive.

OneEyeRon

Hacker
Visit site

It took me 6 months and I'm back to the good old fashioned non-TT range.

I had enjoyed the new tech but less so the 100% price increase (plus the poor attitude of the staff - let's not go there!). The fury when I was paying £9.60 for 100 balls and out popped at least 5 balls which were commandos and dunlop 365 was too much to handle!

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It took me 6 months and I'm back to the good old fashioned non-TT range.

I had enjoyed the new tech but less so the 100% price increase (plus the poor attitude of the staff - let's not go there!). The fury when I was paying £9.60 for 100 balls and out popped at least 5 balls which were commandos and dunlop 365 was too much to handle!

Did you not go and speak to the range runners?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Long Crendon (Thame) installed it in April
Haven't been down there since as im not overly find of the range itself
I assume the prices have gone up.
To be honest, unless you're using proper balls at least similar to what you use on the course, is the data of any real use?
It's not something that would inspire me to go along and use.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
how does anyone constructively hit 120 balls in a session?
Depends how long you are there.

I will sometimes try and play my course in my head. So hit driver, then select club accordingly after the tee shot.

Can get through 50 that way, after a warm up.
Then work on the few clubs i've struggled with that session.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Depends how long you are there.

I will sometimes try and play my course in my head. So hit driver, then select club accordingly after the tee shot.

Can get through 50 that way, after a warm up.
Then work on the few clubs i've struggled with that session.

Id be there for close to 3 hrs if I hit 120 balls on a range! I buy a bucket of 50ish and end up giving some to the nearest kid when Im done lol

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I go to the old fashioned range by choice now. The other has had the TT put in and prices have gone up, of course. But it isn't that. Now kids are turning up, not so much to learn golf, but to play a game. Essentially, mucking about.
Thus too busy and noisy, like an arcade venue.

glynntaylor

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve also moved away from TT ranges on the basis I go to practise quietly. The TT at 3 hammers is always quing with locals to see who can hit it the furthest. Another one by me at ultimate golf in Walsall now sell drivers at £50 no manufacture on the head that I can see.... aides the local youth to come and smash 120 balls supposingly to the net at the back but it’s more to the net on the right whilst doing a little spin round on the mat as they’ve swung so hard. 🤦🏼‍♂️ Keeps em off the streets I suppose.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There is one that opened in Oadby around a year ago. Been a few times on the way home from work and it’s often rammed, often with lads having beers and just trying to whack a ball as far as they can.

They have also opened a 9 hole course with no dress code, which is a good idea to get new players interested. Unfortunately, I can see that turning up with with loud and drunk lads on the range will put many off from using the place.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’ve also moved away from TT ranges on the basis I go to practise quietly. The TT at 3 hammers is always quing with locals to see who can hit it the furthest. Another one by me at ultimate golf in Walsall now sell drivers at £50 no manufacture on the head that I can see.... aides the local youth to come and smash 120 balls supposingly to the net at the back but it’s more to the net on the right whilst doing a little spin round on the mat as they’ve swung so hard. 🤦🏼‍♂️ Keeps em off the streets I suppose.
Sadly we have a non-TT range near me as well as a TT version and both have the same problem of youngsters treating it as a playground and simply smashing balls as hard as they can and occasionally off the underside of the covering roof. At least for the summer I have the practice ground but in a few weeks I'll have to simply get a bay as close to either end and maybe stick my earphones in