Topped shots

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if/when you hit a spell of 'tops' would checkover if you have some lateral sway to trailside as you take the club back
what this tends to lead to is there's a real bunch of weight on the trail leg/outside trail foot & also the sternum/upper body drifts laterally trailside

common then for folks not to 'get back' to the lead side with the weight pressure also not get the sternum back to the ball position/or tad target side of ball position

all this leads to the swings arc low point being trailside of the ball around somewheres off of the trail foot which then also as an instinct has the upper body leaning back away from target in order not to crash the clubhead in ground - so often times can get a spell of tops or fats goin down

would just spend some time as you take the club back from rest making sure that the hips rotate(not slide n' rise) in that the trail hip & the trail shoulder rotates behind you so think turning towards heel line - feel how the trail hip & glute stays 'deep' as it turns a tad towards target not drift aways to trailside

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I top shots when I get a bit anxious - and that is usually when I am about to hit a shot that I have previously topped or fluffed :)

It's as if I want to see my shot land before I have hit it, and want to get after the ball as soon as possible to see where it is going.

To get over this I have found that simply telling myself 'do not chase the shot' works (most of the time)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have had this prob but pro said its always when I swing to hard/ fast
I lose my tempo which makes you stand up .
had me play shots feet together just to get my tempo back.
This does work as you don't want all techno stuff going around your head for a simple tempo fault.
try it it does work I play most of my short lob shots feet together as it takes any leg movement out of the swing.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A topped ball will normally pop straight up in the air. Are you hitting the top of the ball or catching it thin around the equator of the ball.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like a classic case of goat humping :D
bahh-300x246.jpg

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
It can be either topped or thin. The thin ones at least go somewhere (actually, with a wood or hybrid, when I am just trying to cover some distance, I don't find them that damaging most of the time). But yesterday I had a few that were topped so much, the only divot I created was the impression of the ball in the ground. I don't think I bottomed out in front of the ball on those. I was still in a downward motion when I made contact with the ball ... just a couple of cm too high overall.

Nevermind. I'll be playing again tomorrow and see how it goes.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
In my understanding, a thin is when the bottom of the club strikes the ball half way up. The ball flight is low and the fingers hurt.
A top is when the weight gets too far in front of the ball at impact and the club hits the top of the ball. The ball is driven into the ground and then bounces down the fairway.
Which is your ball flight?

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What club are you topping with?

If your pitching wedge and 9 iron are fine but you're topping the longer irons, try standing closer to the ball so you feel you're hitting more down on it.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
In my understanding, a thin is when the bottom of the club strikes the ball half way up. The ball flight is low and the fingers hurt.
A top is when the weight gets too far in front of the ball at impact and the club hits the top of the ball. The ball is driven into the ground and then bounces down the fairway.
Which is your ball flight?

As I said, can be either. Tends to be a top more with the longer clubs, so woods and hybrids, I even topped a few drivers on that round, more of a thin shot with the irons.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...tyrannus rexified...
What a wonderful - if frightening - expression!

As for the problem...too many possible reasons to really comment! Coach and Bobmac are the ones to listen to!

I've certainly thinned a few - for various reasons and have simply concentrated on stability when I have. Tops are rarer, thank heaven! :rolleyes:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bumping this - any good drills for curing the tops?

I had a little spell where I'd top the odd iron off the tee, caused I think by trying to hit up on the ball to help it up (trying to hit high draws). Cured it by simply remembering to strike down and trying to take a nice shallow divot after the ball

Which club(s)/shot(s) do you top?

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a little spell where I'd top the odd iron off the tee, caused I think by trying to hit up on the ball to help it up (trying to hit high draws). Cured it by simply remembering to strike down and trying to take a nice shallow divot after the ball

Which club(s)/shot(s) do you top?

I can top with pretty much anything longer than a pitching wedge (wedges i tend to shank rather than top). Seems to be more prevalent off the tee. Thing is, i do take a decent divot after the ball so not sure why the ball is going low and not very far.

D

Deleted member 1740

I love a topped shot, so much so i've perfected it :whoo: