Topped Shots!?!

ColeTrain

Medal Winner
Visit site
Right then,

I am an average beginner of the game, using a flat half swing.

My bad shot is the topped one, I probably hit around 10 a round, which go anywhere from 20yds to 70yds dependant on club.

I was talking to a friend and his advice was to lock the left leg up as he thinks I am swaying in shot (although he has never seen me play).

I will some times try to hit lower on the ball resulting in a divot before the ball.

What could you lads suggest

Thanks

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a few topped ones the other day. They are almost as scary as the shot that should not be mentioned.

Trouble with a top is that I reckon there are 3 possibles (correct me if I'm wrong).

1) Simply swinging above the ball......either coming up on the backswing or losing balance somehow.
2) Getting through the ball too well......like a divot that starts after the ball by miles, as if playing a 3 wood shot with a 7 iron!
3) the "classic" thin, which is the opposite of the one above.....where the low point is too far before the ball and the clubhead is rising above the ball's equator once it gets there.

I can usually fix any of them just by staying down and watching the ball extra hard through impact.

ColeTrain

Medal Winner
Visit site
If the downswing was too quick would that result in hitting above the desire area, I think due to only hitting just over half a swing I am trying to get too much power on the shots to compensate for the rest of the swing? Not sure

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My topped shots nearly always come from me trying to hit the ball too hard...did about 7 in a row at the range the other day with the driver...and I tend to lean back and stand up, hitting upwards at the ball or lifting my clubhead off the ground.) If you're taking a half-swing then perhaps you are trying to compensate and it's causing you to get out of position.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
keep your head down

Yeah I was told that but some people say thats not the main cause, although when I really try to stay still I do hit better I think!

I def' hit the ball better if I keep myself still. Still is not the same as not moving horizontally i.m.o.

Anyone who says that lifting up your head and body in the backswing is not a possible cause of topping is plainly mad.
If you set up nicely, but lift a few inches, unless you then squat back down it will produce a thinned shot surely??

Meady

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm rubbish at this game but a good friend of mine is overcoming similar problems. He is being told to get on the practice mat and flick at the ball, making sure he strikes the mat every time. Nice and steady but like striking a match. It's worked really well for him.
The other thing that I remember doing when I used to top it was change my grip. I adopted the 'trigger' approach where you seperate your thumb and forefinger on your right hand further down the grip and hold them together. This, for some reason, steepened my attack angle which has meant I now always hit down onto the ball. I'm not good at golf by any means but it is very rare that I top a shot nowadays.

ColeTrain

Medal Winner
Visit site
keep your head down

Yeah I was told that but some people say thats not the main cause, although when I really try to stay still I do hit better I think!

Anyone who says that lifting up your head and body in the backswing is not a possible cause of topping is plainly mad.
If you set up nicely, but lift a few inches, unless you then squat back down it will produce a thinned shot surely??

Yeah i know what you mean but I said the MAIN cause, on a video on youtube it says its more likely to be the body swaying, as I dont see myself swinging I dont know how much head movement there is and am not totally conscious of this!

ColeTrain

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yeah I could see how this could work with the steeper angle of attack, might go to the range and try a couple of things keeping still and trying the new grip!

Cheers everyone for offering advice by the way!

ColeTrain

Medal Winner
Visit site
yeah I know that I am trying to hit the ball to hard but I just feel that if I have a slower swing I'll lose a lot of distance, I will try slowing things down rather than trying to cream the ball every time.

A busy session ahead required with a lot of balls!

:D

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yeah i know what you mean but I said the MAIN cause, on a video on youtube it says its more likely to be the body swaying, as I dont see myself swinging I dont know how much head movement there is and am not totally conscious of this!

A) I'd be inclined to listen to advice on youtube even less than from me ( and I'd take most of that with a pinch of salt )

B) I believe there are several common reasons to top it. One is lifting your head on the backswing - standing up on the shot as it were ( but as you're only making a half swing that's not as likely as some ). And swaying is definately another. If you can't get to video your swing, try taking a stance so your shadow is alinged right in front of you. Then as you swing, you'll be able to see how much your shadow moves.

C) I'd listen to Bob more than to me.

:)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Before offering any advice, I'd like to check if its a thin or a top. They are after all, 2 different faults and need 2 different cures.
The thin is when the club strikes the equator of the ball sending it low and running.
The top is when the club strikes the top of the ball, forcing it down into the ground before it jumps up and then runs not very far.

ColeTrain

Medal Winner
Visit site
Definately a top bob as Not much distance is achieved at all! I have a flat swing so I never get the ball very high anyway but I can cope with this until i get within 150 yds!