Hacker
Visit site
Been struggling a bit with what set up to go with at the top end of the bag

I've got an adjustable driver set to 11.5°
A 3w at 15°
A 5w at 18°
A 3H at 19°

3w currently out of the bag because I'm not hitting it very well

Been carrying 5w and 3h, with 5w mainly being used off the tee on shorter holes, but feels a bit pointless with a 1° difference.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Was thinking 4W but they seem rare and more expensive

AdamC28

Visit site
Have you actually used a launch monitor to measure your distances?
I would ignore the loft of the club and work simply from distances each club produces.
If there is no distance gap between 5 wood and 3 hybrid then yes, I would look at dropping one.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Have you actually used a launch monitor to measure your distances?
I would ignore the loft of the club and work simply from distances each club produces.
If there is no distance gap between 5 wood and 3 hybrid then yes, I would look at dropping one.

Yeah there is very little gap. A well hit 5 wood would be further than the 3H by about 20 yards or so but consistency isn't great. Averages end up being very close as a result

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

A 3w at 15°
A 5w at 18°
A 3H at 19°

Been carrying 5w and 3h, with 5w mainly being used off the tee on shorter holes, but feels a bit pointless with a 1° difference.

If the 3 wood is out the bag anyway, why not just loft down the 5 wood a little bit, if it's adjustable, or if it isn't maybe get an adjustable one that you can have at around 16-17°? Or a 4 wood if you can find one. That way you free up a slot somewhere else.

It's similar to how I have my bag, between driver(10.5) and 20° hybrid I just have a 5 wood now lofted down one notch to 17.5 & draw setting. There's no point in me throwing a 3 wood in as well since I just don't hit them well enough for them to fill a gap consistently anyway. Probably wouldn't even go much further than my 5W.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Titleist TS2 16.5 degree seemed a better fit with a 11.5 degree driver.

Taylor Made also did something in 16.5. Given the move towards everything lower spin, you won’t lose much if you’re not striking the 3 wood perfectly.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
If the 3 wood is out the bag anyway, why not just loft down the 5 wood a little bit, if it's adjustable, or if it isn't maybe get an adjustable one that you can have at around 16-17°? Or a 4 wood if you can find one. That way you free up a slot somewhere else.

It's similar to how I have my bag, between driver(10.5) and 20° hybrid I just have a 5 wood now lofted down one notch to 17.5 & draw setting. There's no point in me throwing a 3 wood in as well since I just don't hit them well enough for them to fill a gap consistently anyway. Probably wouldn't even go much further than my 5W.

Yeah I'd been thinking of doing that. My 5w isn't adjustable at the moment so would mean having to buy something. What a shame it would be having an excuse to buy a new club ?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No I've not been playing that long and high handicap so couldn't justify the expense for that

Get your gap test done - you may find that the 3w & 5w go the same distance, likewise you may find that you're hybrid and 5 wood are doing very similar things.

AdamC28

Visit site
Also as a high handicapper I wouldn’t worry too much about having to carry all 14 clubs, especially filling all gaps at the top of the bag.
Very often if I’m in the fairway with 200 plus yards to go I will take a 7 or 8 iron knowing I’ve only got a little wedge left. This often works out better than trying to hit a hero shot to the green with a wood.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have just altered my naughtiest clubs. The 12*driver is still there, but it's been joined by an 18 and 23* hybrids, then 4 iron down.
That seems to cover most options for me:)

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site

A 3w at 15°
A 5w at 18°
A 3H at 19°

I'd be half tempted to not have either wood in the bag on the course. Hit driver off the tee when you're happy to. Use the hybrid as normal and as your back up tee option. And work on the woods at the range - you'll soon start to know what you can and can't do with them. If the clubs aren't in the bag on the course you'll never be tempted to go for them, so you'll always take the safe option, and don't put them in the bag until you're happy.

I go Driver, 3w (15º) and hybrid (19º) and don't feel the need for a 5 wood. But one of my main playing partners is much happier with 5w than 3w and has a 19º 5w and a 20º hybrid. For him it works very well.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

A 3w at 15°
A 5w at 18°
A 3H at 19°

Loads of Titleist 16.5* 917' Golfbidder. Guess depends on your budget.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Also as a high handicapper I wouldn’t worry too much about having to carry all 14 clubs, especially filling all gaps at the top of the bag.
Very often if I’m in the fairway with 200 plus yards to go I will take a 7 or 8 iron knowing I’ve only got a little wedge left. This often works out better than trying to hit a hero shot to the green with a wood.

Yeah I do a bit of this sometimes. Often depends on the lie and the difficulty of the hole.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I carry a driver 3W and 5W and then a 19 degree 3H as well. I tend to use the hybrid for the longer par threes and out of the semi-rough. My 5W far longer than the 3H despite only having a degree of difference but ideal for second shots on long par 4's and par 5's. For me I feel I have the options with the different clubs and know what my distances are so can decide the best option depending on lie, distance etc and comfy with the top end of the bag