Top 5 Premium Balls - Does the ProV1 have a serious contender?

PPE

Head Pro
Visit site
Having played with a Penta for the first time today I was very very impressed in fact if I had to rate Premium balls in terms of the following:-

1. Price
2. Performance (Includes Distance, feel & spin)
3. Durabilty

The order that I put them in would be as follows:-

1. TaylorMade Penta
2. Wilson Staff FG Tour
3. Titleist Pro V1
4. Srixon Z-Star
5. Callaway Tour iS

I got more distance, feel and what seemed a better filght from the Penta, the only slight criticism was that it cut up a little to easily for my liking, but dont all premium balls. I have held off buying the Penta for a while as I thought it was all marketing hype, wished I'd have got them sooner now and at £10 box cheaper than the ProV1, its a no brainer.

What's your Top 5?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I hate the Penta even though the father in law got me 2 dozen for Chrimbo. He knew I played TM and so assumed I used the balls too. Won't take me long to get rid of them at the moment

I don't have the swing speed to do them justice off the tee and find them about 10 yards shorter than the Pro V or Z star. I've become a big fan of the Bridgestone B330RXS and think they are one of the best premium balls around at the moment but have gone under a lot of radars. The latest version of the Pro V1x is my favourite though

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Callaway Tour balls seem to be harder/clickier off the putter and whilst chipping.
Other than that I don't believe there is a noticable difference between the rest.
To a Pro or Elite Amateur, they can tell the difference between a ProV1 and a ProV1x - I can't. Apart from the ProV1x has a red number........

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Never tried Bridgestone balls which seem to be popular on here, but I do like Z Stars especially as you can usually get a deal, or free ones for subscribing to GM.:) Hope I don't go off them as I think I have got quite a few boxes stored away. Did used to play Titleist ProV1x but they are too expensive compared to the Srixons.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am not a regular user of premium balls, I see no point at my standard when a good mid-priced ball suit my ability just as well. I have, however, tried most of them at some time or other.

Top of the list for me is the FG Tour, best feel off the putter face of any that I have tried and do not cost silly money. Z-Star is next up for me, a great ball and tend to be a bit cheaper than Pro V etc. I used to like the now discontinued Nike One Platinum as well.

Not sure why, and I must be one of the very few golfers who feel this way, but I just do not like Titleist balls. TO me they are heavily over priced and I just do not find them as good as the competition (especially the NXT and NXT Tour balls)

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
PRO V1

Closely followed by a recent introduction to B330 RXS (£20 quid a box - bargain)

Z Star's

FG Tour's

Thats it - trying to stick to the top 2 and have stocked up enought for a while (6 Dozen B330RXS and 7 dozen PRO V1's)

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
1 - Pickup
2 - Pickup
3 - Pickup
4 - Top Flight
5 - Donnay

As I usually leave the course with more balls than I started with, I have now accumulated several hundred good quality balls of all makes and types.

Note to self. Take them to the charity shop.

As you may have gathered, I'm not a golf tart and not swayed by the advertising hype. Buying brand new balls/irons/woods/etc will not make any significant improvement to my game.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Bridgestone B330 RXS

Got two dozen for £19 each in DG just before christmas. Was talking about them with the pro at my club he rates them highly, but he's got them on sale at the mo for £25 and is looking to offload them - they don't sell nearly as well at the club as Titleist or Srixon - he did say that he thought it's more to do with their lack of marketing vs the Titleist marketing.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Like many others I am happy to use Titleist V1 as well as Bridgestone 330 and Z Stars but in the winter like the Maxfli Noodles, especially under £10 a box!

Chris

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bridgestone B330-S
Bridgestone B330
Wilson Staff FG Tour (the best ball for putting I've used, shame it's yellowing after your first tee shot!)
Callaway i(s)
ProV1x
ProV1

Contrary to most on here I quite like the Callaway balls, always seem to score well when using them.

At £20 a box at the moment the Bridgestones are a no-brainer for me

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I rearly have to buy golf balls, i tend to find a lot while walking the dog.

But;

Prov 1
Prov1X if its windy ( lots of these about the week after The Scottish Open with " practice" on them)
Srixon Z Star
Bridgestone RX or s
NXT for winter, along with Bridgestone e5 or 6 and srixon Tri speed

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another recent convert to the Bridgestone 330-RX here. Used to use z-Stars and V1x's before that.

So

1) Bridgestone 330-RX
2) Srixon Z-Star
3) Titliest V1x

If none of them happy to use Srixon AD333's as well, although not considered premium, still a great ball.