Too much time at the range - A great way to hinder your game

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tony....range balls don't go quite as far (we all know that) but with the short irons, I use those distances out on the course. Let's say a full PW goes 90-115 (depending on swing speed) with a range ball, then use that distance and if you get a full 10 yards more on the course, you'll soon notice if you are on the back of every green!!

For me (new clubs) the distances are one club less than the old set, so I used to work on SW 85 PW 105 9I 120. The new clubs (which are lofted differently) are PW 120 and 9I 135. The SW goes the same as it's the old club!

As for the other stuff.....LW.....60? (don't ever hit it full on the course) 3/4 PW about 100. Range balls or not, I use the same distance....never caused me too much grief.

I'm getting my old A wedge tweaked for 100 yards to fill the new gap in my set.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah dave i have kinda decided that the lob wedge will never be hit with more than a 3/4 swing unless i need a 60 yard up and down risk reward type shot!

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I agree with Homer. Realgolferuk, I don’t think the range is ‘so limited’, I’ve clearly said it has its good points, I use it myself. But you said “I simply don't get it.....why/how is a range so limited....? You honestly don’t know the limitations of a range. You’re winding me up surely.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing devil's advocate....of course....

I'm just frustrated with some folks (not you) coming up with all sorts of nonsense about spikes/divots/C-F from mats etc. etc.

I learned to play golf by having lessons and going to the range twice a week (sometimes more) for 3-4 years. Started on 148 shots, ended up on mid 70s. All done at the range, the putting green and chipping green.

You know the limitations, as do I, and 95% of the replies on here.....but I get the suspicion that some unhelpful theories are floating around which might deter an inexperienced player from utilising a great resource.....
The guys at my club said I'd never get past 24......maybe I have a chip on my shoulder.....I'm sorry if that's the case.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that this thread may have been started after a friendly discussion following a good afternoon's golf at the Kent meet followed by a couple of the obligatory Magners and London Pride.

I'm sure that MWJ won't mind me saying that although he was driving well, he was taking too much divot with his irons. imho, ranges are fine for playing wood shots off tees, but once you start to use irons off the mats, you have no real appreciation of how well you have played the shot. It is quite possible that every iron shot you play has hit the mat an inch or so behind the ball, the ball has jumped off the mat through your mishit and you have caught it in mid air, so to speak, giving the impression of a clean strike.

I am, as usual, quite happy to be shot down in flames but apart from grooving a swing how many of us higher h/cappers (say 12 and above) can with a clear conscience say that their iron striking has resulted in improved results on the course by practice off range mats?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
how many of us higher h/cappers (say 12 and above) can with a clear conscience say that their iron striking has resulted in improved results on the course by practice off range mats?

Um....me....

I'm bowing out of this thread, because I'm getting fed up with all the nonsense. Sorry Leftie, but I still don't get it. I've been to the range 3 days in a row with my new irons. OK....the range doesn't punish mild fat shots and it's not as good as grass for working on pure strike, but I played 10 holes today in 42 shots, no fat, no thin, a few pulled, a couple faded. Could I have done this without 3 practice sessions....no....could I have practiced at the course....yes, but it would have been a lot more hassle.
At the range you KNOW if you haven't hit it well, as you do on grass. Those that can't tell the difference between a proper strike and the range "camouflaging" the less good shots should take up football or some other less intelligent sport.

Don't reply to me, sorry, but I'm out of here. :D

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
real, i play of fairway mats all winter, its easy to think you are hitting the ball well of them because you have got a good lie all the time, its the same at the range, good place to work on your swing if you cant practice of the grass, have you ever wondered why some folk say the hit it well at the range but cant take it to the course.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
you have got a good lie all the time, its the same at the range, good place to work on your swing if you cant practice of the grass, have you ever wondered why some folk say the hit it well at the range but cant take it to the course.

Totally agree Divot. The range is good for teed up shots and working on the swing. Iron practice should be done on grass if at all possible - practice ground if available, field, back garden with air balls, whatever.

Have you ever seen a pro at a tournament warming up with their irons and fairway woods pre round on mats? Of course they don't. They use real grass.

DCB

Visit site
leftie,

Have you ever seen the divot pattern taken by a good pro when he's paractising ? The reason we mortals don't get to play off grass is because it would be hacked up and gouged out in a matter of minutes !

A pro will move the ball slightly from the last shot and will shave a hole area over a period of time.

Oh to have that consistency.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
"Have you ever seen the divot pattern taken by a good pro when he's paractising ?"

Yes I have seen their divot patterns. And I have also seen mine when practicing off grass. It tells you a hell of a lot more about your shots than a mat ever could.

That is why, as previously mentioned, we should whenever possible practice iron shots off grass. If mats are so good then tell me why pros don't use them instead of grass.

"The reason we mortals don't get to play off grass is because it would be hacked up and gouged out in a matter of minutes !"

Hadn't got you down as a hacker :D

"A pro will move the ball slightly from the last shot and will shave a hole area over a period of time."

Isn't that called a Brazilian" ;) ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The reason you should practice of grass is precisely that. A divot can tell you a whole load about your swing. For example a divot left of target may be an illustration of coming over the top or casting (see casting post for cures and comment). Similarly if you are taking a big heavy divot you may be coming down too steeply. You cannot pick up these nuances as clearly of a mat.

I use grass as much as possible (have done since a junior) and the way I was taught to use an area was to hit a shot and if you brush it away wothout taking too much grass or a divot to hit another ball from the same spot.

After that place the next ball at the front of the divot and then repeat the process. I normally gor forward for 10 balls and then go back to my original starting point and move the ball one club head to the side and repeat. This way you get a nice even spread of divots and do not tear up huge areas of the practice ground (makes it easier for the green staff to re-seed too)