Too much choice?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
On TV?
There are so many channels these days and they have to be filled which cant be cheap.
Unless the programmers buy cheap programs.
So we end up with
repeats from the 70s,
films from the 50s,
cookery and DIY
celebrity/reality
soaps
talent shows
not to mention the constant stream of American drivel

And there's still nothing on the tele

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On TV?
There are so many channels these days and they have to be filled which cant be cheap.
Unless the programmers buy cheap programs.
So we end up with
repeats from the 70s,
films from the 50s,
cookery and DIY
celebrity/reality
soaps
talent shows
not to mention the constant stream of American drivel

And there's still nothing on the tele

I've noticed this with Dave. Its now filled with a slew of red neck programs that are complete rubbish.

These days I tend to watch certain programs and that's it. Mrs watches Corrie but I cant stand the program. Just seems to provoke conflict and some of the worst aspects of society.

D

Deleted member 15344

Some of the American Stuff is superb - Sky Atlantic is one of the best channels and always seems to have lots of new stuff to watch.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
With hundreds of channels , thousands of movies it's amazing how many times I tune into the same old terrestrial channels.

BBC are still best for news and they make the best drama and documentaries IMO.

There are some gems if you are lucky enough to stumble upon them.
I loved the making a murder series on Netflix. And need to start watching season 1 off the 'better call Saul' series. Got rave reviews.

G

guest100718

Depends on what you like to watch. There is some Excellent American TV, Plenty of British drivel out there

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a big history fan BBC4 is great. I have a backlog of stuff on the Skybox. Currently catching the series on the crusades. Eye opening stuff. Generally very good expert presenters, who know their subjects well.

Also lots of excellent science programmes which also appeal to me.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get rid of TV in its current form.

Replace it with a mass streaming service a la Netflix where you chose what to watch and how much.

Keep live streaming of sports, news etc but back catalogue them so they can be watched anytime. Even if just for a month or two.

If you want golf 24/7 you can have it.

Broadcasting as it currently stands is outdated.

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I watch more You tube videos than I do tv

I've found myself watching YouTube over the TV a lot more recently. There's some good documentaries on there.

I agree that there is a lot of drivel on the TV but there's some cracking stuff on it as well. Most of the stuff I watch is available on freeview channels. If it wasn't for the Mrs I'd bin Sky.

D

Deleted member 15344

Get rid of TV in its current form.

Replace it with a mass streaming service a la Netflix where you chose what to watch and how much.

Keep live streaming of sports, news etc but back catalogue them so they can be watched anytime. Even if just for a month or two.

If you want golf 24/7 you can have it.

Broadcasting as it currently stands is outdated.

Sounds great - what about people whose broadband isn't good enough to stream with the majority of the country not able to get high speed fibre

Broadcasting as it stands meets the infrastructure within he country

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use to enjoy a good documentary on Virgin but even these channels are now clogged with stuff like American Hoarder and other crap that bears no resemblance to a documentary. It's a shame and will only get worse as the need to fill the schedules gets worse as more channels appear. Definitely a case of less being more I think

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like some of the programs on Sky Atlantic, and occasionally get absorbed by a box set ........... there is a reason I spend so much time on here though.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Agree that sometimes looking through the old Sky planner, it's full of drivel bar the odd program. I tend to use the Sky never miss feature, so never have to worry about when my fav programs are coming back on. As above Sky Atlantic is good for new drama, but so are Netflix and Amazon Prime, and Sky Boxsets is great for catching up on stuff that has been missed or I want to watch again. Currently wading through 3 seasons of Californication that were never screened in the UK, and piling through Weeds, again to get to the seasons that weren't screened.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought Breaking Bad was very good.
Better call Saul was terrible.

Breaking Bad was one of the best ever series i have watched, i was gripped by it! We got into it late (ie last year!) and via netflix watched the lot in about a month. was awesome!

G

guest100718

Breaking Bad was one of the best ever series i have watched, i was gripped by it! We got into it late (ie last year!) and via netflix watched the lot in about a month. was awesome!

[video=youtube;zIom3LSbB0I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIom3LSbB0I[/video]

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Me and HiD must be the last two people on the planet to become Friends fans.

Tried it once back when it was on first time and for some inexplicable reason dismissed it as rubbish.👀

However watching it all back on Comedy Central this last year has been great for us.

Some of the sharpest funniest scripts I've ever watched.