too close to the ball

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
durring a round or two of golf i tend to creep closer to the ball. does anyone have any set up routines or drill to ensure you maintain the correct distance from the ball

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Due to a large beer belly I have the problem that when I set up correctly I can`t see the ball, when I set up so I can see the ball - I can`t reach it.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Check your balance when standing correctly - Ie. Where is the weight on your feet? I assume its in the middle when you stand correctly and back on your heels when standing to close. Make a mental note to check when taking your set up.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
durring a round or two of golf i tend to creep closer to the ball. does anyone have any set up routines or drill to ensure you maintain the correct distance from the ball

Doesn't this affect your posture?

What I mean is, if you're stood too close to the ball would your arms be too close to your body rather than hanging naturally? A bit like the picture to the left as opposed to the postire on the right:

Posture.png

There is a pre shot drill (Below) that a friend of mine uses.

Correctsetup.jpg

Basically he stands over the ball as shown and bends from the waist and adjusts his feet accordingly before alowing his knees to flex..

Hope this helps.