Tonight, and a revelation on the practice grounds...

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
After owning my md wedge for a month or two now, I was hitting it ok but not as happy as I could be.
Went to the club range tonight and threw down a hundred balls and totally rebuilt my short iron swing and its totally changed my approaches. My sand wedge always got plenty of stop on it but the md was pulling up a little lethargic but now with a straighter left arm, better downswing and body position I am pulling the ball back at will, its actually quite funny landing the ball at the back of the practice green and pulling it back around 12-16 feet down the gentle back to front sloping green. Even better, If I hit it easier I can control it to a bounce and stop rather than any vicious action.
I am easily amused sometimes but this really tickled me at the time and seems to have eradicated the chances of shanking the ball which had crept back into my game due to throwing my arms at the ball with my short irons.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a youngster I use to love just taking a sand wedge onto the practive green and seeing what shots I could manufacture. I could easily waste an couple of hours just hitting different types of chip.

I'm dedicating this weekend to working on my short game so I was interested in your technique and will definitely give that a go tomorrow

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Im not out until 2pm this afternoon so I might hit a few shots and record them and compare them against my existing vids of wedges. I also noticed that I can now cut the ball or make it bounce and spin straight left (draw spin I suppose) which means I might be able to hit the middle of the green and not take bunkers etc on but still get closer than the ball just stopping dead.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I also noticed last night that there is bugger all difference between my 4 and 5 orins yet the three goes another 10-15 yards further. wierd or what!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm hitting my chips pretty well with a decent amount of spin (using a 56 degree sand wedge) but having trouble off tight lies. I've tried opening my face up and using the LW but seem to hit them heavy or its the skulled one 40 yards along the ground.

All advice greatfully received

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
back in the stance (no more than 3/4 though), lots of weight on the left side and keep the arms as straight as possible, you really do notice a higher sweet hit rate.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any tip's for playing Scrabo? Brendy. I'm playing there thursday and friday, in the B & D. then the home leg on Sunday. Fingers crossed I get round with the same ball!