Tom Murray - You Plonker!

D

Deleted member 18588

Scenario 2: A player can't even grasp the basics of writing down what score he got on the hole.

THEY ARE NOT REMOTELY SIMILAR.

Pedantic I know but he will not have WRITTEN the scores.

That would be down to one of his Playing Partners.

Whilst not excusing Murray it does, at least, make his mistake a little more understandable. I am pretty sure that he would know his total and if the correct figure had been entered for that it would be easier for him to misread the individual figures.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Whilst not excusing Murray it does, at least, make his mistake a little more understandable. I am pretty sure that he would know his total and if the correct figure had been entered for that it would be easier for him to misread the individual figures.
Good point to be fair, I hadn't considered that.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I gave a reason why you shouldn't be allowed to rake the line of your shot.

If that rule isnt in place. Golfers have a habbit of 'using rules to their advantage'

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
That said in this day and age, with technology, golf needs to get its act into gear, whereby these checks are done by computer before confirming the score, so that this never happens. Just amazing that golf is so stuck in yester year on this.

I am afraid I cannot comprehend how a computer could, let alone would, know how many strokes you took on a hole.

D

Deleted member 21258

I am afraid I cannot comprehend how a computer could, let alone would, know how many strokes you took on a hole.

Was this not picked up from cross referencing to the other players/markers card ? (I assumed it was, but couldn't 100% find it when I did a quick search)

If it was, then technology would easily solve it, by entering the scores from both cards, cross checking done by computer and then confirming the scores. So amendment could happen in time.

Just think golf is stuck in yesterday years processes and a lot of people defend them, rather than thinking this should be changed and improved for the better of the game.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Was this not picked up from cross referencing to the other players/markers card ? (I assumed it was, but couldn't 100% find it when I did a quick search)

If it was, then technology would easily solve it, by entering the scores from both cards, cross checking done by computer and then confirming the scores. So amendment could happen in time.

Just think golf is stuck in yesterday years processes and a lot of people defend them, rather than thinking this should be changed and improved for the better of the game.

It's YOUR responsibility to check and sign your card.

That isn't difficult.

D

Deleted member 21258

It's YOUR responsibility to check and sign your card.

That isn't difficult.

I don't dispute that and previously said

That said in this day and age, with technology, golf needs to get its act into gear, whereby these checks are done by computer before confirming the score, so that this never happens. Just amazing that golf is so stuck in yester year on this.

Reflects poorly on golf IIRC and just sounds silly to Mr Public.

PS Yes I know the rules are the rules and not disputing that, just that golf needs to lift its game to ensure it does not come across as a silly game with silly situations unfolding, when it does not need to.

Appears you are just defending the status quo, which you are more than welcome to;), rather than looking to improve the game(& image) moving into the future.

Golf can move forward with technology and stop bad (silly) publicity such as this, as it does not encourage people to play the game or even play in comps at amateur level.

All the best:coffee:

D

Deleted member 18588

I am afraid that I cannot see how incidents like this would deter any amateur from playing in comps.

As for the use of technology; this might be a possibility in some Tour events but I doubt the budget at Tour School would stretch to its use.

D

Deleted member 15344

Technology isn’t always the answer - especially when it’s to help humans when they fail to do the basics. It always seems to be the answer when someone fails to do a basic check - “why can’t we bring technology in to stop the error “ , basically is laziness at the end of the day. And trust me technology will also have plenty of issues and then what ? Bring in the human interaction again

It’s a simple process that lasts 2 mins - go through the scores on each hole , count up , sign. Why do you need “technology” to replace that - it won’t be quicker , it will still be prone to error and it will no doubt cost a lot more.

And these rules do not discourage people from playing the game

I’m more worried about the brigade who appear willing to ignore rule breaks if they think it’s silly

Wolf

Visit site
I don't think this incident reflects badly at all on the game if anything it shows the golfers integrity that he acknowledged he should have been more cautious in his checking and that he accepts the ruling.

I am surprised though at tour level they still get playing partners to mark scores, the entourage each group has in officials could easily have all scores officiated by match official, checked off with them accurately post round and signed off by player and ref then.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Technology isn’t always the answer - especially when it’s to help humans when they fail to do the basics. It always seems to be the answer when someone fails to do a basic check - “why can’t we bring technology in to stop the error “ , basically is laziness at the end of the day. And trust me technology will also have plenty of issues and then what ? Bring in the human interaction again

I suppose you could say the same about mobile phones, microwave ovens, computers, calculators etc etc etc even the humble ballpoint pen.
Yeah, being progressive has no place in this world.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Pro and high level amateur events use scorecards with tear off strips on the bottom so you can mark your own score then when you get your card back from your PP you hold the strip against your card and it lines up so you can easily cross reference the score you have written down for each hole against the one written by your marker. It's very simple and easy to check.

D

Deleted member 18588

Pro and high level amateur events use scorecards with tear off strips on the bottom so you can mark your own score then when you get your card back from your PP you hold the strip against your card and it lines up so you can easily cross reference the score you have written down for each hole against the one written by your marker. It's very simple and easy to check.

I realise that, having served as a recorder, my experience is that players can sometimes be less diligent than they should. Particularly when it is not the final round.

I was not offering an excuse for Murray rather a possible explanation

D

Deleted Member 1156

I realise that, having served as a recorder, my experience is that players can sometimes be less diligent than they should. Particularly when it is not the final round.

I was not offering an excuse for Murray rather a possible explanation
Sorry I'm confused then because your previous post you say he will not have WRITTEN the score. But he will have on the tear off strip on his PP's card.

D

Deleted member 15344

I suppose you could say the same about mobile phones, microwave ovens, computers, calculators etc etc etc even the humble ballpoint pen.
Yeah, being progressive has no place in this world.

Do you actually read what’s been posted before blurting out ?

Where have I suggested that being progressive has no place in the world ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find it odd how people flip when someone questions the credibility of a rule. I don't think I have ever seen anyone state that a rule is daft so we ignore it during a competition. Plenty will post, me included, that a rule is daft, perhaps it should be changed, but none state that in a fit of pique they will disregard it. Some who never question the rules seem to make a huge leap whenever a rule is questioned that those posing the question will disregard both this and other rules. Not so.

It reminds me of the line monarchists throw out whenever someone suggests its abolition. "What would you rather? President Blair". Never understood that leap either.

D

Deleted member 18588

Sorry I'm confused then because your previous post you say he will not have WRITTEN the score. But he will have on the tear off strip on his PP's card.

He will not have written the score on his score card (the offending item) .

What he writes on the Marker's Score of his PP's card is irrelevant but I agree that he should have used it to check his own card.

Unfortunately players sometimes do not pay sufficient attention to this process.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
[
I find it odd how people flip when someone questions the credibility of a rule. I don't think I have ever seen anyone state that a rule is daft so we ignore it during a competition. Plenty will post, me included, that a rule is daft, perhaps it should be changed, but none state that in a fit of pique they will disregard it. Some who never question the rules seem to make a huge leap whenever a rule is questioned that those posing the question will disregard both this and other rules. Not so.

Then again, in the context of your post, I am unaware of all these people who never question the rules.

I'm probably labelled as such because I will come over on here as quoting the rules, and as such seemingly blindly accepting them. Others who know me are aware that I spend hours every week both questioning them (yesterdays, todays and tomorrows) as well as analysing them.

On more than one occassion I've invited a debate on changing a rule, or rules, in exactly the vein you suggest ie following through the implications without a fixed view of the anticipated outcome - but unfortunately they never get traction because people either jump to an outcome, or simply get bored with the inevitable detail involved (why can't we get relief from divots and why are the rules so complicated being the 2 most common ones in recent years on here).

However, as with others, I will admit that, from time to time, 'that's the rule' will be posted rather than 2,500 words covering it all over again. That is the nature of forums.