Toe sticking up.

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm a 12 year old boy and I'm changing into men's clubs. The toe of the club sticks up too much and I have read that it will produce a hook. I have been getting hooks since I changed into mens. Is it my fault for the hooks or is it the clubs.:confused:

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If the toe of the club sticks up too much will it produce a hook.

Any pictures of the club in question at address?

You have to remember the toe has to sit up a little at address to account for the shaft flex in the downswing.

If you have access to a lie board, hit a few balls off it and see where the marks are. If they are toward the heel you may need them adjusting.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
don't ask us - ask a professional and get it looked at dynamically as Gareth says.

I got sent to have mine adjusted between 2 and 2 1/2 degrees by one pro, but the fitter tested me, and all the irons, and explained why I didn't need any adjustement at all - despite the toe being way up in the air at address.

Oh, and no pictures for me thanks - it's basically irrelevant as already explained.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
If they are too upright then the resulting shot would like be a hook type shot as the heel of the club will impact the ground and the toe being in the air will turn the face closed and give you a pull/hook etc, the severity of which will depend on how upright they are for you.

What height are you?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Does it cause a hook though?

I would say it depends how good a striker of the ball you are.

If you tend to take a divot after the ball, I would say the difference would be less noticable as the club will not have contacted the turf at this point.

If you tend to hit the ball heavy, I'd say you'd notice it more.

As I said. The best way to make sure would be to try your clubs, individually on an impact board and see where the marks are on the sole of the club.

D

Deleted Member 1156

As Gareth has said, the toe should be slightly off the ground at address as the shaft bows slightly away from you during the downswing which results in the toe of the club coming through the impact zone slightly lower than it started. This in itself is unlikely to cause a hook, that is caused by your swing path.

I would be more concerned about the length of the clubs (how tall are you?) and the flex of the shaft. You are still a young lad and will get a lot stronger as you grow. What flex are the shafts you are now using? Unless you are very strong for your age you probably shouldn't be using anything stiffer than a regular flex and possibly even a senior flex would suit you.

Try to book a session with a pro so he can have a look at your swing and the equipment you are using and take it from there.

Good luck :thup: