Today's stupid question.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
As the title says, it's today's stupid question brought to you by me

Since I made changes to my swing (See previous threads) I'm hitting my irons 4-9 the best I ever have, lovely, straight penertating flight. The same cannot be said however for my fairway woods and driver. With these clubs I still have a fade that varies in severity to the occasional slice.

Here's the silly question. With the Driver and fairway woods having longer shafts does this affect the the timing of the release??

The reason I ask is I feel I'm holding the clubface open at address and this could be what's causing my fade??

I'm pretty sure it's not an out-to-in swing path other wise I'd be fading my longer irons too :D which I aren't.

As usual. Any and all opinions welcome.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
cant answer without knowing more and seeing it but theres far better qualified people on here for advice.

I just wanted to say, whats wrong with a fade?, it made Mr Trevino about 20million dollars and most tour pros prefer it as its less destructive on driver shots and softer landing with fairway shots

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
cant answer without knowing more and seeing it but theres far better qualified people on here for advice.

I just wanted to say, whats wrong with a fade?, it made Mr Trevino about 20million dollars and most tour pros prefer it as its less destructive on driver shots and softer landing with fairway shots

Nothing wrong with it DV.

I'm just a little confused as to why I still have it with the longer clubs (fairway wood and driver)?

As I said, since my changes were made my irons are everything I could ask for.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can you post a vid, behind and side on of your driver swing?

Only a guess as we havent seen you swing, but if you swing the same with your irons and woods your hands will be ahead of the ball at impact with your driver which would help a push/cut/slice etc.

When setting up with the driver, tilt you spine angle back (only a bit). Your hands could also be a bit further back, leaving the ball of the front foot.

The 'sweeping away' with the driver means that you should hit the ball on the 'up' with the driver. I.e. the swing arc has bottomed out before impact and the club has just gone past your hands.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A fade is created by your swingpath being to the left of your clubface direction. To straighten your ballflight then work on getting your swingpath and clubface in the same direction at impact. Please ask if you want any more help with this.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Nothing wrong with it DV.

I'm just a little confused as to why I still have it with the longer clubs (fairway wood and driver)?

As I said, since my changes were made my irons are everything I could ask for.

Gareth, its possible that your swing is the same for irons and woods but due to the higher loft on 4-9iron there is more backspin than sidespin, the woods being anything from 8.5* to about 14* are probably imparting more sidespin than backspin hence creating the power fade

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
power fade

Is that an Americanism for a slice :D

In all seriousness I'm not overly fussed. It just seems strange, to me anyway, that the flight for my woods is diffent to my irons when I swing the clubs pretty much the same :D

I'm going to have a little tinker with my alignment before this weekends stableford comp just to see if I can spot anything.