Titleist Thursday Feedback

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, I had my Titleist Thursday driving fitting yesterday afternoon at The Grove. I really enjoyed it, as it was the first time I'd done a driver fitting. My swing speed is around 85mph apparently, I don't know if that's average or slow really, but it was good to know anyway.

We tried various combinations, ultimately he tried to get me more carry because I have quite a strong right to left draw on my drives (and there was a gale blowing right to left which was only accentuating it more!), so I ended up getting best results with the following set-up:

917 D2 (12.0 degree)
Dexterity: RH
Loft: None
Lie Angle: None
SureFit Setting: C-4
Length: Standard
Shaft (Flex): Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Ltd M+ Red 50 (Regular)
Grip (Size): Standard (Standard)

That's the lighter shaft option, and the weight settings in the head were placed towards the toe to straighten my right-to-left flight a bit. Was hitting some nice, more consistent drives by the end of the session, with a fraction under 200 yards of carry, and more draw than hook which is fine.

My only problem now is that I'm not about to plunge £300+ on a new Titleist driver! :rofl: But I'm hoping I can use the info above to get something cheaper that will still suit me better than my current driver. Something with 12°, a light shaft and an adjustable head weight basically. I will try a few out now.

Either way, the fitting was eye-opening, enjoyable, and the fitter himself was great, nice guy and explained everything really well. Didn't pressure me to buy the driver at all. Strongly recommended.

D

Deleted member 16999

Loft was 13' degrees 1' flat, slight fade?

D

Deleted Member 1156

There isn't much difference between the 915 and the 917 drivers so you might be able to find a suitably specced 915 for sensible money :thup:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There isn't much difference between the 915 and the 917 drivers so you might be able to find a suitably specced 915 for sensible money :thup:
I asked him about that and he suggested the new models have much different technology to the old ones... but then he would say that!

My slight reservation there, and I know I shouldn't take this as gospel, but on golfbidder where they give the 'handicap rating' (i.e. what level you should be at to use the club) the 915 comes in a bit lower, suggesting it would be harder to hit for a high handicapper such as myself. I don't know how they figure out those ratings though.

D

Deleted member 16999

IMG_4038.JPG
Sorry, what? If you're referring to the 'Surefit' setting, it was obviously set to give a higher flight with a touch more fade, yes, I can't recall the exact numbers though.
The surefit settings can change loft and lie,
C4 setting will increase loft by .75' and lie towards fade .75' flat, not 1 as that is hybrid setting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last years M2 HL (adjustable from 10-14 degrees) driver would be my shout, great driver. I got mine for £169 in a sale.
That is actually one I've had my eye on. I would love one of them I reckon. Might have a quick look in the piggy bank... :D

View attachment 22907
The surefit settings can change loft and lie,
C4 setting will increase loft by .75' and lie towards fade .75' flat, not 1 as that is hybrid setting.
Ah, yes. I think he elected not to confuse with the numbers, but he certainly showed me that image of the surefit settings on his iPad, and explained that C4 was for a higher flight with more fade.

He basically told me there's not much wrong with my swing, but I have an extremely strong grip (which I knew of course) which is what causes all of the draw/hook, so he just went for the height and fade to counter that, and we got some pretty decent results.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last years M2 HL (adjustable from 10-14 degrees) driver would be my shout, great driver. I got mine for £169 in a sale.

Plus one for this! Ive just switched to the M2 10.5 degree from the HL and whilst the 10.5 is working well for me I had good results with the m2

however that said you cant adjust the headweight.. but can in the m1

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IMO, the quest that many of us Golfers have with Drivers is wasted, as many of us find them the hardest thing to hit whatever we do, or are 'fitted' with. I was once fitted at Titleist for a new Driver, via this forum tbh, and in all honesty, it was perhaps the worst performing Driver I've ever owned.
That said, even playing off 8/9 as I have for some time, my Driving/er is the worst performing Club/aspect of my game, Period.

With respect to you, if you are only hitting a Driver a smidge over 200yds, you'd be better sticking with a 5 or 3 wood ?? Not sure of your distances with either, but they cant be that different ?
My 5 is 215 - 230yds, 3W 225-240, and in all honesty, unless I really get a good one away, my M2 10.5* isnt any better !

Forget about spending £200 on a Driver, work on the rest, or treat yourself to a nice putter, which after all, is the Club in the bag that any of us use the most in 18holes.

Just my thoughts.....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
With respect to you, if you are only hitting a Driver a smidge over 200yds, you'd be better sticking with a 5 or 3 wood ?? Not sure of your distances with either, but they cant be that different ?
My 5 is 215 - 230yds, 3W 225-240, and in all honesty, unless I really get a good one away, my M2 10.5* isnt any better !

Forget about spending £200 on a Driver, work on the rest, or treat yourself to a nice putter, which after all, is the Club in the bag that any of us use the most in 18holes.

Just my thoughts.....

Well it's not as simple as that. My current Ping on a good drive goes around 240, but I don't always manage to hit up on the ball, so a lot of that is roll. The fitter was trying to get me more carry as he said that's more reliable, so he had me hitting a 12° - fair enough. My 3 wood probably goes about 220 and my 5 wood 200, but they're both old Slazengers from my starter set, so I prefer to use a driver usually. And getting the right driver I could probably go 250. If I do get a new one I'd be hoping to spend under £200, if I can't find the right one for that price range, I won't bother. But it's not all about distance either, it's about reliability and consistency as well of course.

Already did a putter fitting before Christmas and spent £140 on my current Odyssey, so I'm ahead of you there. Still can't putt though! Haha.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
This Titleist Thursday must be doing the rounds as I'm booked in at The Belfry on the 22nd.

Looking at some new shinies, I've never been bowled over with my RSi TP's which replaced my much loved MP52's, so although it's not the ideal time of the season, I'm hoping they will stop the rot as currently I'm going backwards :(

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This Titleist Thursday must be doing the rounds as I'm booked in at The Belfry on the 22nd.

Looking at some new shinies, I've never been bowled over with my RSi TP's which replaced my much loved MP52's, so although it's not the ideal time of the season, I'm hoping they will stop the rot as currently I'm going backwards :(

YOTF. Must have been stuck in a keep net. 😃

You can't go wrong with Titleist Robin.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Just out of curiosity Robin if 52's were much loved why are you going for a Titleist fitting and not mizzy or is that still to come

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
I had a driver fitting recently current driver is a 915 D2 in a blue diamana regular shaft set A1

The results were for a driver swing speed 96 mph

917 D2 (10.5 degree)
Dexterity: RH
Loft: 10.5
SureFit Setting: C-4
Weight 12 g set to Draw
Length: Standard
Shaft (Flex): Fujikura Speeder Pro 64 TS (Stiff)
Grip (Size): Standard (Standard)

From my 915 the difference was significant in terms of carry and also dispersion. However when the fitter changed my driver to a C4 setting the difference came down. The 917 was still longer in carry by 5 ish yards on average and dispersion was slightly better but the 915 in C4 (without the shaft change) wasn't massively different. I didn't try the new shaft in the 915.

The thing I did notice was the mi***** with the 917 seemed to end up with better results than similar contacts with the 915 and the combination of the C4 setting and the draw setting reduced my right miss a bit, hence the slightly better figures. I think the ones I hit well with each would have been side by side on a fairway

As for needing a low handicap I am a 15 so wouldn't particularly agree with that, unless you are looking at the 915 D3 think that is a smaller head lower spin etc which would be a lower handicap target audience (generalising a bit)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
YOTF. Must have been stuck in a keep net. 😃

You can't go wrong with Titleist Robin.

I'm hoping that's the case :cool:

Just out of curiosity Robin if 52's were much loved why are you going for a Titleist fitting and not mizzy or is that still to come

I did put in for the last minute Mizuno fitting and do wonder whether to go and have a look at the JPX range, but I've had an eye on the AP2's for a while so I'll see how I get on with them. I took my Pro's demo set out on the course the other night and got on OK with them, just the shaft felt a bit weird, hence the fitting at The Belfry and go from there.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I did put in for the last minute Mizuno fitting and do wonder whether to go and have a look at the JPX range, but I've had an eye on the AP2's for a while so I'll see how I get on with them. I took my Pro's demo set out on the course the other night and got on OK with them, just the shaft felt a bit weird, hence the fitting at The Belfry and go from there.

I have a set of the AP2 and love them. Hope they work for you buddy

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Robin, Robin, you know you are deleding youself.

You know fine well #nothingfeelslikeaMizuno...