Titleist 915 D2 Driver

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Love my 915 3 wood that I've had for a year now, so thought I'd try the driver.
Hit it on the simulator at American Golf, compared to mine, and I was getting an extra 15 to 20 yards. My swing speed is only a girly 85-88 mph, and this was running out to 220 yards( time to play off the reds).
I must admit that I've always found the Red Tie Matrix regular in my Adams XTD Ti too boardy, not enough release and flex through the hitting area. (I'm gonna be selling this if anyone is interested). The shaft incidentally is a real deal shaft and not a made for.
Anyhow the shaft I tried in the Titleist was a Diamana 60g Blueboard stiff, the guy at AG said my swing speed boarders regular and stiff. The dispersion was better as well, all straight and none to the right.
My next move is to try one out in regular to see how that performs, but I will also hit balls on the range as I like to see the ball flight for myself.
So, what's others experience with this shaft, in the Titleist or others

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Bought it from AG about 6 to 8 weeks back. Accuracy is brilliant, very accurate, no longer than the SLDR with a stock shaft.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
FWITW, my swing speed is about 98 and I was fitted to this shaft with 915 at the Titleist centre, so can't imagine why it'd be recommended for the 88 swing speed.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
FWITW, my swing speed is about 98 and I was fitted to this shaft with 915 at the Titleist centre, so can't imagine why it'd be recommended for the 88 swing speed.

Thanks, but in fairness it was not recommended. It was the only second hand club they had, so I decided to give it a go.
I'm interested in a second hand one.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got the 915 D2 in regular blueboard and have a similar swingspeed to you, works fine for me, keep your eye on the classifieds though may be moving it on.

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
I've got the same spec, driver swing speed @ 94 mph, regular worked better than stiff for me. There are longer drivers out there but I haven't managed to find one that I hit as consistently straight(ish) yet.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Come on... Shaft flex is not directly related to swing speed! Funnily enough, it's more related to how you load the shaft and make it "flex" with your swing motion....

I thought the harder you swing the more you load the shaft?

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sure, there is much more to it then swing speed. Yet, my point was that taking all characteristics of the said shafting account it'd be difficult to imagine it's the optimal choice for the 88 ss.

In particular, I'd imagine that trying a lighter shaft would have been worth considering.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for all your posts, very helpful.
So after trying a Blueboard Diamana regular at the range, I am now the proud owner of a new Titleist 915 d2 in 10.5. After seeing the flight, distance and dispersion at the range I could see this was a better club than the former Adams xtd.
Due to the age of the club, now replaced by the new 917, I couldn't get custom fit. However after trying 2 different shafts, info from launch monitor and seeing the ball flight at the range, I'm convinced I've got the right club.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all your posts, very helpful.
So after trying a Blueboard Diamana regular at the range, I am now the proud owner of a new Titleist 915 d2 in 10.5. After seeing the flight, distance and dispersion at the range I could see this was a better club than the former Adams xtd.
Due to the age of the club, now replaced by the new 917, I couldn't get custom fit. However after trying 2 different shafts, info from launch monitor and seeing the ball flight at the range, I'm convinced I've got the right club.
Enjoy the club, afterall it's mostly about what is in your head/how it feels then the numbers. :)

Out of interest what was another shaft you tried on the range?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Come on... Shaft flex is not directly related to swing speed! Funnily enough, it's more related to how you load the shaft and make it "flex" with your swing motion....

I thought the harder you swing the more you load the shaft?

Apparently the Titleist fitting mantra is "It's not how fast you swing it, it's how you swing it fast".

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What were the changes between your old driver and new mate, was there much of a gain.
Asking as may be in the market for a new driver this year.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Apparently the Titleist fitting mantra is "It's not how fast you swing it, it's how you swing it fast".
Been fitted by Titleist 4 times, at no point anyone was concern about the swing speed/distance, instead it was all about the dispersion/spin numbers/flight and my feel. Just saying.

JakeWS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been fitted by Titleist 4 times, at no point anyone was concern about the swing speed/distance, instead it was all about the dispersion/spin numbers/flight and my feel. Just saying.

I would agree with you that swing speed is not the only factor, but I'd also say the guy in American Golf was just saying what the guy wanted to hear to sell the club in my opinion.