Titleist 907 D1 and D2 - fitting report

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Morning to all on the board

Following up from the thread about the 905 yesterday a bit of feedback about the new Titleist 907 drivers which myself (hcap 7), GM equipment writer Paul O'Hagan (hcap 5) and GM reader Daran Davies (hcap 11) were fitted for yesterday. The full feature will be in the May issue but brief thoughts below

D1 - innovative new triangular shape gives higher moment of inertia and with the correct shaft fitted gave Daran and I 20 plus extra yards and a much tighter dispersion. I thought as a lover of the 905 traditional head shape I wouldn't get on with the D1 but I found it good to look down on and you can't argue wit 20 yards up the fairway!

My best fit was with a 9.5 head and Fujikura Z Com Six S flex shaft half inch shorter than standard (I had always thought I was a 10.5 regular, full inch off).

Darran was booming it with his best fit, which was - 10.5 loft - 44.5" Titleist Spec Grid 67 shaft by Aldila in R flex. More loft, half inch shorter and a softer flex than his old driver

D2 - Fans of the traditional Titleist driver shape will fall in love at first sight with the D2 - one big bonus is that the darker paint finish makes the 460 head seem relatively compact

Paul's best fit was a D2 with a Graffaloy pro launch red - he came down a degree of loft and up from R to S in flex from his old driver. He put on 20 yard too and got rid of his leaky cut thanks to the better shaft fit.

The session was a real eye opener and I'm sure many of you will be itching to get your hands on these drivers when they're released in May. One thing - get properly fitted for them to realise all the potential benefits

MikeH

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
20 more yards - sounds very interesting!

what sort of launch monitor did they use - vector or trackman. Also did you use real balls or range balls?

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Hi Swingstar

the launch monitor was one Titleist have developed themselves - very good range of data back from not only on distance and dispersion but also strike pattern on the face, swing speed, ball speed, launch angle and angle of attack into the ball

balls wise we used ProV1

hope that helps

MikeH

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am gutted. Reading about you guys getting fitted for the newest driver is like your best pal saying he got off with a super model i.e. I have no chance. Like most golfers, I will try it, love it and WAIT 2 YEARS 'TIL I CAN AFFORD IT.

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
madandra you should put your name forward for the GM custom fit series in the mag at the minute- you never know you might get picked to get fitted for a new piece of kit!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Guys,

These are drivers I am interested in looking at in Florida next month. I have a couple of questions:

Do you think the increase in distance is down to the custom fitting, or the actual club? Since the MOI and the COR were frozen a few years back I struggle to see where extra distance can come from in a new club head, only accuracy and forgiveness.

Were your old drivers custom fitted too? Most of the shafts available in the new 907 range were also available in the previous 905 range. Hence they shouldn't hit longer than before, if you had the correct shaft.

I currently use a us spec R7 quad, with Aldila nv shaft. I am thinking of changing it this year because I have had it since they were launched a while back. Do you think things have moved on enough for me to notice a difference in a 2007 driver?

I prefer the looks of the D2 version (not a fan of odd shaped club heads, square or otherwise). Did you guys find when you were fitted, that there was an appreciable difference between the two heads?

I guess some of this may be covered in the mag next month, but thought I would ask anyway.

Cheers

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Hi murphthemog

none of us were properly custom fitted (ie no launch monitor used just advice from PGA pro) for our current drivers so I guess most of the gains were from the custom fitting process

The key thing for me was getting my spin rate down and this was achieved through shaft flex and then head shape - the D1 put less spin on the ball. I have always played Titleist drivers and thought I'd never get on with what are quite radical looks of the D1 compared to the traditional shapes of before but if you can get over it (and knowing its the best fit for me will help do that) then it's worth exploring the option

with regard to shafts the Graffaloy pro launch red and the Titleist spec grid are both new and have been designed specifically to deal with a 460 cc head - the Fujikura ZCom 6 is a new shaft for this year - very leightweight but doesn't feel like a 'fishing rod' which has always been my feedback on ultralite shafts. This shaft got my swing speed and ball speed up which meant more carry

there's lots more info on D1/2 the US Titleist site which is just .com rather than .co.uk

hope that helps

best

MikeH

soccy1972

Visit site
Hi Mike,

Was very interested in your article and post as a bit of a Titleist nut. From your discussions with Titleist, are you aware whether they carry out the same service to advise/re-shaft existing Titleist drivers?

Also, from looking at Titleist website regards 'fitting works' the website seems to default to US venues for custom fitting?? I am aware there are some excellent pro-shops/driving ranges in UK which provide Titleist fitting works etc, but would prefer the full 'tour' experience you enjoyed rather than just hitting the four stock shafts in R or S. Can you provide contact details of the venue please?

FYI, Currently playing off 9 with 905r (after prolonged use of the excellent 983k) with which I've went through Titleist own shaft, Graffaloy Blue, Aldila NV65 and currently a Fuji Speeder 757 Tour spec, which whilst pops down fairway 230yrds consistently, feels like swinging a caber sometimes, especially with bore-thru hosel increasing stiffness.

IMHO, not too keen on 907D1 for looks and D2 looks v similar to 905r, so currently looking to hopefully get a shaft 'properly matched' to my swing for current 905r to take another excuse away and hopefully gain a few yards into bargain, preferably with manufacturer.