Tips for Aberdovey

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m on holiday in Wales at the moment and will be staying in Aberdovey next week so will be playing there.

First time there, any advice about playing there?

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
A beautiful course that you'll enjoy. Make sure you double-check your line in as some 'blindish' holes particularly early on. Off thje course if you're eating in the town don't leave it too late - we couldnt get anything after 8 though may be a bit easier now

D

Deleted member 1147

Sea breeze is a lovely restaurant - book in advance

Lovely course; not long, & depending on wind direction, can play quite easy.

On 12 play plenty of club and don’t miss left or right.

Only need mid iron on 16th tee shot

Enjoy

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Enjoy

That’s the restaurant we were thinking of booking, thanks, might be lucky with weather as not much wind forecast at the moment.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I

Enjoy

I took 8 iron on twelve hit what I thought was a good shot expecting to see my ball on the green climbed up no ball anywhere in sight ?

I was lucky to play in sunshine with very little wind. Great course

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was on holiday near Aberystwyth last week. On Tuesday we took a drive to the southern part of Snowdonia and drove past the course. Checked to see the cost and found an individual open on Saturday where there were just two spots available at a very reasonable cost. Ended up playing with a former member and his son, which was helpful and had an enjoyable round with my short set of 8 clubs. Started very well, but the putting fell away after the first few holes and ended up with 99 (net 77). Nice course and recommended for anyone finding themselves in the area.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I

I took 8 iron on twelve hit what I thought was a good shot expecting to see my ball on the green climbed up no ball anywhere in sight ?

I was lucky to play in sunshine with very little wind. Great course

I also hit 8 iron last week. It bounced at the front and when we got up there it was 3 or 4 inches past the pin. It must have brushed the hole and we couldn't even see it. The consolation was I got a sleeve of balls for the 2.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I also hit 8 iron last week. It bounced at the front and when we got up there it was 3 or 4 inches past the pin. It must have brushed the hole and we couldn't even see it. The consolation was I got a sleeve of balls for the 2.

Although I lost my ball as did my pp I enjoyed the hole there were no one behind us so we nipped back to the tee and had another go ? just short that time with a 9 iron.

Good shot you hit then imagine if it did go in and you would never see it.

nickh

Visit site
I think the weather conditions will massively influence how you play and your enjoyment of the course. You don't need to be long off of the tees, so I'd say to take less club than you might normally, and try to limit misses left and right.

Having been invited to play there last summer, the host for the day had spent all of the build up saying how windy it always plays, only for it to be the most breathless day ever (scorchio warm..). As a result we all played better than our handicaps and had some interesting tan lines.

The SeaBreeze is lovely, and also have some rooms available.

..Nick

D

Deleted member 1740

Aberdovey is a favourite of mine.

Bit of a trek to get there but when the weather is good it’s a cracker, although it was absolutely throwing it down when I handed @bluewolf a thrashing 10&8 after a heavy session in the dovey inn the night before??