Time for Game Improvement Irons?

Hoganman1

Visit site
I used to be a fairly decent player with an index between 7.5 and 8. However, I've had a series of physical injuries in the last two years (pinched neck nerve and a torn right rotator cuff) and at 69, arthritis is creeping into my joints as well. Both of the injuries are better, but my game has deteriorated such that I struggle to break 90 now. I've gone to a 12.5* driver with a senior shaft and my fairways are 16.5* and 21* high launch. My irons are Mizuno JPX 850 forged for which I was fitted 4 years ago. I'm wondering if going to high launch game improvement irons will help. I spotted a preowned set of TM Aeroburner HL irons online. The lofts are stronger and they have a larger sweet spot. I know one cannot buy a game. I'm just thinking these HL irons might help. Any advice will be appreciated.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I used to be a fairly decent player with an index between 7.5 and 8. However, I've had a series of physical injuries in the last two years (pinched neck nerve and a torn right rotator cuff) and at 69, arthritis is creeping into my joints as well. Both of the injuries are better, but my game has deteriorated such that I struggle to break 90 now. I've gone to a 12.5* driver with a senior shaft and my fairways are 16.5* and 21* high launch. My irons are Mizuno JPX 850 forged for which I was fitted 4 years ago. I'm wondering if going to high launch game improvement irons will help. I spotted a preowned set of TM Aeroburner HL irons online. The lofts are stronger and they have a larger sweet spot. I know one cannot buy a game. I'm just thinking these HL irons might help. Any advice will be appreciated.
Anything to make the game easier surely. Not sure you're quite ready for those TM clubs which if memory serves were more a super game improver type set up. I would look for a compromise to the Mizuno's and maybe step down to something like a Ping G25, G30 etc (plenty of good second hand options available) which won't have the super cranked lofts of the TM and may suit the eye better especially after playing a lovely set of Mizuno's

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Try the JPX Hot Metals, they're stupidly easy to hit and retain something of the Mizuno about them. But don't just buy something off ebay, you might find a graphite shaft in the irons is the trick so have a lash with whatever is available and don't feel like it's a step back, there are guys half your age would give their right arm to break 90

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
might be more about the shafts, if you have lost Club Head Speed more than the heads unless you had blades. JPX 850 forged were quite forgiving and almost GI clubs anyway

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
JPX 850 forged are pretty forgiving anyway I thought, but if you want to go for more forgiveness without radically changing, you could get the JPX 900 Hot Metal as mentioned above. Or the irons I have are nice and very forgiving but probably not SUPER game improvement like the HL one you mentioned - mine are Callaway XR Steelheads. Both them and the JPX 900s should be available in the £300 sort of range now I think.

Given that you have played to a good standard, you probably don't need to go the whole hog and buy shovels.

Edit: Also, you never mentioned what shafts you were using in your irons. If they were just regular steel it might be worth looking at graphite shafts, or senior/active flex steel ones.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Thanks to all that responded. You're probably right. Maybe I should just practice more with what I have now. It's winter here in Charlotte NC and it's either freezing cold or soaking wet. Obviously, if I'm still struggling once the conditions improve in the Spring I should look at making a change. I guess I'm looking for a "magic solution". Anyone who has played this wonderful game for any length of time should know it's not like riding a bike. Like Hogan once said "the answer is in the dirt" meaning one must practice to remain proficient.

BTW My Mizuno shaft are True Temper XP95 R300.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks to all that responded. You're probably right. Maybe I should just practice more with what I have now. It's winter here in Charlotte NC and it's either freezing cold or soaking wet. Obviously, if I'm still struggling once the conditions improve in the Spring I should look at making a change. I guess I'm looking for a "magic solution". Anyone who has played this wonderful game for any length of time should know it's not like riding a bike. Like Hogan once said "the answer is in the dirt" meaning one must practice to remain proficient.

BTW My Mizuno shaft are True Temper XP95 R300.

Of course the great man is correct. But nothing wrong with checking out graphite shafts just in case ;)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You mention your game has deteriorated but in what way. Please can you give a little more detail on where you are having problems.

Hoganman1

Visit site
You mention your game has deteriorated but in what way. Please can you give a little more detail on where you are having problems.
Ever since I tore my right rotator cuff I struggle with making solid contact. My thought was that with more forgiving irons my mishits will still be serviceable. My short game and putting is still pretty good so I'm able to shoot in the mid 80s most of the time, but I'm not hitting a lot of greens and if I don't chip and putt well it's hard to break 90.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The one thing that graphite shafts might do is to lessen the shock. I played with graphite for about 8 years, maintaining a handicap around the 6 all the time. What made me change was a session on a simulator and the pro reckoned my iron swing speed had dropped to under 70 mph. I still have kept the iron set but every time I try them I overpower them and get a big hook. So try before buy if possible.

The XP95 is pretty much as near to a graphite shaft as you can get in terms of trajectory in my experience.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ever since I tore my right rotator cuff I struggle with making solid contact. My thought was that with more forgiving irons my mishits will still be serviceable. My short game and putting is still pretty good so I'm able to shoot in the mid 80s most of the time, but I'm not hitting a lot of greens and if I don't chip and putt well it's hard to break 90.
I'm not sure thats the answer. GI irons tend to have more weight at the sole so give better results if you hit thin or flip your wrists. Maybe you need some help in creating better impact conditions.

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I am in the process of moving from JPX 850 forged to a set of Wilson D9s. Trying them side by side the Wilson 7 iron is the same length & loft as the Mizuno 6 iron, BUT I hit the Wilson 15 tp 20 yards further and it's very easy to hit. I should have them this week & if the snow clears I'll be able to get them out on the course. And they were only £400 for 4 to PW

Hoganman1

Visit site
I found a used set of Taylormade 2017 M2 irons online for a pretty good price so I bought them. I demoed a couple of TM M4 irons which are similar and like them. I'll be keeping the Mizunos so if the M2s don't work out in the long run I can go back to the JPX 850s.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Well the good news is the M2 irons were delivered on Friday. The bad news is I teaked my shoulder while playing on Thursday. Also, the temp dropped 20 degrees for the weekend.
So it may be a week or so before I can give the M2s a test run. Getting old ain't for sissies.