Tiger's No1 spot.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's the situation regarding the No1 spot?
Is Tiger in danger of losing this through his nonparticipation?
Is he so far ahead that he will still be No1 at the start of next season, regardless of how everyone else does?
I'll admit that I'm not really clued up with regards to how the points are awarded.
Also, If someone does take the No1 spot, it won't really feel that they actually are the number 1 player in the world will it?

Gazzery

Club Champion
Visit site
Even if he does lose it this season he will soon regain it as i dont feel there is any one strong enough, but the gap will certainly be smaller and give Mr Poulter a chance to put his money where his mouth is.

redmike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
im sure i read that it would need someone to win pretty much everything for the next 18months to overtake him. remember that the gap between him and mickelson (no2) is greater than that between mickelson and number 1000 in the world.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nope it won't happen he will still be number one when he returns. You get points in relation to where you finish in each event with some events (ie the majors) offering a greater number of points overall. http://www.officialworldgolfranking.com/rankings/default.sps If you look at that link Phil Mickleson apparently averages just over 10 ranking points per event meaning he would have to play approximately 40 events at this average performance level with Tiger not entering any to even draw level with him. It probably is possible in the sense that you can win 20+ points in each event depending on it's significance (note Tigers average of 21.14) so if Phil played and won 20 events I should think he would be pretty close- but that's not going to happen is it.

DCB

Visit site
It's a flawed system anyway ! How can someone be No1 Player in the world yet only play every four/five events when he likes the course ?

I feel that if Tiger played week in week out like the vast majority of PGA Tour players, the gap between Tiger and the rest would be a lot less.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think tiger will start to loose points.

Think its calculated over a rolling two year period. So the longer Tiger is out injured the less points he is accumulating in a two year period, therfore his average will fall.

Not sure if it would fall enough to drop from first though

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm with DCB. The system needs changed to encourage some players to play in more events. The European Tour could do with some events being given a higher profile with regards points.